E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replace my PS2s with ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

I'm currently running Michelin PS2s and need to find a replacement before too long. Spending almost $1500 right now will be hard to do (just bought a new home), so I'm looking for a less expensive, but still acceptable option. Anyone have feedback on either Toyo T1Rs or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta? Thanks...
Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by top6491
I'm currently running Michelin PS2s and need to find a replacement before too long. Spending almost $1500 right now will be hard to do (just bought a new home), so I'm looking for a less expensive, but still acceptable option. Anyone have feedback on either Toyo T1Rs or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta? Thanks...
If you want to save money and get tires that have been rated essentially identical to the PS2 in dry and wet weather performance go for the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. They are about $185 per tire and many respected members like and use them.

Here is last summer's tire comparo by Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Replace them with the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus All-Season. They are way less $ and really, really great! I love mine.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Replace them with the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus All-Season. They are way less $ and really, really great! I love mine.
The conti Extreme Contact DW or DWS might be a good option too.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

I was running Goodyear Eagle F1 DS G3's and they were discontinued so I tried a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric and I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance for the price. Tire Rack has 245/40 18"s for $190 each.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Howitzer

Originally Posted by Munich77
These are both good tires but they are both UHP all seasons. These would not make the best replacements if the OP wants a replace summer performance tire. If the OP is looking for an outstanding UHP all seasons, I have read many great reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I believe that member Poleposition has those and has posted how much he likes their performance. I believe that v_therussian has the Conti DWS tires and reports that the sidewall is soft. A number of members also have the General Exclaim UHPs (which are also UHP all seasons) and like them. The General are also very affordable.

Again, if the mission is max summer performance as it is with the PS2, a UHP all season will not be an equivalent replacement. If the OP is looking for well-regarded, inexpensive summer performance tires, I'd advise him to consider the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos or the Falken 452s.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Originally Posted by sdg1871
If you want to save money and get tires that have been rated essentially identical to the PS2 in dry and wet weather performance go for the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. They are about $185 per tire and many respected members like and use them.

Here is last summer's tire comparo by Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
+1
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

I swapped from PS2's to the Vredesteins a month ago to keep the costs down. I have run 2 x sets of Michelins getting ~20k miles from each and they are awesome compared to the hated Dunlop runflats, but facing the price of another new set of Michelins I took the plunge and changed. After 1000 miles I am very pleased as I cannot tell the difference, except the Vredesteins are way better lookin'

Similar feedback through the wheel, just as quiet, excellent grip...no difference and 30% cheaper. I have no idea yet how they will do on longevity - gimme a year or so and I'll let you know

Post your eventual choice and give us some more feedback.

Good luck,
Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by Munich77
I have to agree with the Conti DWS's. I replaced my PS2's with the DWS's a month or so ago. They're much cheaper and just as good in my opinion for street driving, not tracking the car and last 50k miles. Most importantly, the Conti's come with a 1 year road hazard warranty included in the price of the tire which I used only 2 weeks later when the side wall of my brand new tire got punctured after hiting a pothole. Really bad luck but at least I didnt have to buy a new tire!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Members

Conti DWS's forever, just ended a Colorado winter with them on my 535xi, traction is awesome. Just returned from a 1300 mile trip to Montana and back on 50% wet roads. 6000 miles since installing them and they look like new.
No road noise and ride great, best tire I have ever used.

A set is going on my wifes RX350 next week.

Quick Reply: Replace my PS2s with ???