E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

6000K HID Reverse Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Yes it's done! No errors of course! Needed to run a relay cable for insurance Worked out great! I used a mini HID bulb which the warm up time is quicker. I used my Philips Design Ballasts for quality assurance. No pix of the install on the inside cuz I simply forgot to ask my friend to take them But I wont be selling it anyway so it doesnt matter Maybe to a special few on special requests in NYC. It's too much work. Ran over 10 feet of wire from trunk to the driver side footwell. Wired in a switch. Popped in two diodes for insurance. Install looks clean. Now let's look at some pix!!! I have 4 videos but can only post 2. I need to edit the last 2 videos since my license plate shows CLEARLY on it.

Youtube Clips:

Picture taken with flash:

Picture taken without flash:

Closeups:
6000K HID Reverse Lights!-hidreverse1.jpg
6000K HID Reverse Lights!-hidreverse2.jpg
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Holy sh*t. Looks fantastic.

You are the man John.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

That's clean dude, wouldn't the housing melt if you have it on for too long. I remember someone did it on a Acura TL the 04+ model and it was super bright but it kind of deformed his housing because of the heat.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Would the HID turn on when in reverse mod or you have to use the switch?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Holy sh*t. Looks fantastic.

You are the man John.
Thanks Scott!

Originally Posted by NC916
That's clean dude, wouldn't the housing melt if you have it on for too long. I remember someone did it on a Acura TL the 04+ model and it was super bright but it kind of deformed his housing because of the heat.
His ballasts EFFed up and caused it to go over 35 watts. It was pushing probably over 60 watts. I am surprised the bulb didnt burst. He only deformed one side since he had old ballasts laying around. It only damaged one side of his housing and the other was fine since the other ballasts are okay. HIDs do in fact run a bit cooler than halogens. I am not too worried since I dont have the reverse lights on for a long time and I am not using regular HID bulbs. Plus, I use only quality ballasts and not cheap ones that costs $60. I am running a shorter HID bulb so it's not close to the housing. I am sure if you have it on for two hours straight, it may start deforming though.

While installing these HID reverse, I am SOOOOO glad that the battery is in the trunk! I THANK BMW DEARLY!!!! Or else, I'll have to run it all the way to the front of the car I still had to. Wired up the switch. It's an illuminated switch but I didnt bother with it. I have 2 people in line for this HID Reverse light. Next week, I will do 2 more E60s. Pretty booked this week and I prefer not to work saturdays and sundays
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NC916
Would the HID turn on when in reverse mod or you have to use the switch?
It will turn on when I am in reverse gear. I can also use the switch whenever I want on the fly for tailgaters. I am pretty sure this is not so "legal" but I rarely drive the car. I was coming home tonight out for a drive and I was testing my switch. I switched it on and then off. Works great. Right behind me is an Impala. Well, I live by a precinct. The unmarked Impala drove away from me.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Yes it's done! No errors of course! Needed to run a relay cable for insurance Worked out great! I used a mini HID bulb which the warm up time is quicker. I used my Philips Design Ballasts for quality assurance. No pix of the install on the inside cuz I simply forgot to ask my friend to take them But I wont be selling it anyway so it doesnt matter Maybe to a special few on special requests in NYC. It's too much work. Ran over 10 feet of wire from trunk to the driver side footwell. Wired in a switch. Popped in two diodes for insurance. Install looks clean. Now let's look at some pix!!! I have 4 videos but can only post 2. I need to edit the last 2 videos since my license plate shows CLEARLY on it.

Youtube Clips:

Video 1

Video 2

Picture taken with flash:

Picture taken without flash:

Closeups:
Attachment 104173
Attachment 104174

I found end-up will more existing if reverse light position change over to fog light position.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Damn... you really went ahead and done it!

Just watched the vids... I WANT IT!

And from the second video, it looks like it's so bright it'll make it impossible to see the plates? LOL... the ultimate set up for M5s if one should decide to run away from the police, hahaha!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

John, again, you're the man when it comes to this lighting crap!

But you still don't have a cheap and better alternative to Orion V2, so you've basically wasted time and effort doing this mod, while you should be working on AE's
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ricky1329
I found end-up will more existing if reverse light position change over to fog light position.
hmm...that'll be a tough one!

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Damn... you really went ahead and done it!
yes I did!!! Even though I had all the parts for like the past 2 weeks. Car is going in for bumper repairs and clear bra this week. Then full detail following week and preparing for June meet!

Quick Reply: 6000K HID Reverse Lights!