E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car smells like burnt plastic, iDrive screen black.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came out to my 2004 545i after work and as soon as I sat down I notice a horrible smell. It smelled like burnt plastic or maybe burning wires. I looked around, nothing looked out of place. Started up the car and backed out. A few seconds later, it hit me, my iDrive screen was black. Nothing. The smell was also so strong that I could barely take it. Had to drive home with the windows down. When I got home I popped the trunk and the smell was even stronger.

Everything else seemed absolutely fine. All of the gauges on the dash worked. Heated seats, Heat blower and Cig Lighter all worked. Of course no radio or cd changer.

The only other thing I noticed was, when I first started driving there was a message on my dash that had a phone icon, the word "s.o.s." and a slash through both of them.

The last time I drove it was earlier at lunch. I went for about a 25 minute drive and everything worked fine.

Any ideas what may have happened? My car is no longer under warranty. How screwed am I?

NB
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did you check under your spare tire to see if the smell is even stronger there? there are some electronics there that have been known to get wet and fry.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
did you check under your spare tire to see if the smell is even stronger there? there are some electronics there that have been known to get wet and fry.
Yep, I did and the smell was stronger. Now that you mention it. Last week when it rained, i accidentally took a nap on my key and popped my trunk. When I came out, my trunk was soaked.

How bad could this be?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

thats not good. did you take out the spare to see how much water is under there? or to see if something is obviously fried?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
thats not good. did you take out the spare to see how much water is under there? or to see if something is obviously fried?
I just did. Yea it's wet under there. In some of the grooves, there's still a little standing water. I stuck my finger in the water and it smells like the burnt smell I described. It's dark out, so I can't really tell if anything is visibly fried. I'm looking for a flashlight now. Yikes!

Edit: for iPhone #fail
Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Contributors

oh man.... what a nightmare.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Contributors

insurance claim, this isnt going to be cheap
Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's likely that the MPM (micro power module) got fried. I don't know what they cost but it's possible that's all you'll need to replace. Do a search for MPM or micro power and see what you learn...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
It's likely that the MPM (micro power module) got fried. I don't know what they cost but it's possible that's all you'll need to replace. Do a search for MPM or micro power and see what you learn...
I think that's what it is. After reading your post, I did a search and somebody else had the same exact symptoms. It was the MPM. They said the part is cheap and it's something you can do yourself. According to them the part was around $150. For BMW to do it, it would run about $1100. Something about that doesn't seem right to me. I wonder if something has to be reprogrammed. Why would the dealership charge that much on labor for such a cheap part that could easily be replaced? Anyway, I'm going to look into it some more tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for helping me pinpoint the problem.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

Wow! I'm glad my car didn't catch on fire. I'm guessing this is the MPM?

Quick Reply: Car smells like burnt plastic, iDrive screen black.