E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hubcentric rings??? purpose only to center wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i am looking around at my wheels, i took them off, they are 'hub centric' but there seems to be alittle play in like very very very little, i take my dial caliper and sure enough its alittle larger than the oem hub..... now from what i am finding out is this is bad right? that little tiny play could be a problem? i dont really feel any but could it? my extremely small vibes come and go at the same speed so if the hub was off would it not be more constant...... My other question is the purpose, i have been reading by some is that its the hub that supports the weight not the lugs, however if this where true why do aftermarket company's supply plastic hub centric rings??? no way plastic can support the weight of my car.... so i am going to assume the only purpose is to make it easier to place the wheel on the hub and make sure its somewhat centered.... so i will wrap some Teflon tape around once or twice to get a snug center fit and see if that does anything.... the main question i have which i think is am right is,,, Do the hubcentric rings or wheels do anything but center the wheel?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Of course it's the hub that is supposed to support the weight of the car. It does not matter if it's only a plastic ring between the wheel and the hub when a hub centric ring is needed because it's a tight fit.

If you have noticed any backlash between the hub and the wheel, you may need a hubcentric ring or then you need to tape it tight if the gap is that small.

- Antti -
Old 12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1079340' date='Dec 24 2009, 11:16 AM
Of course it's the hub that is supposed to support the weight of the car. It does not matter if it's only a plastic ring between the wheel and the hub when a hub centric ring is needed because it's a tight fit.

If you have noticed any backlash between the hub and the wheel, you may need a hubcentric ring or then you need to tape it tight if the gap is that small.

- Antti -
Thanks for the reply they are suppose to be hubcentric but I have about a sheet thick of aluminum foil around movement.... The rears fit tighter, aftermarket presion is not as great, I will post up any findings, but would this cause a small vibration to come and go at the exact same speed? I can't think of anything else to fill that small space, could it be there for expansion when disks get hot?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

What after market wheels do you have? From your pics it kinda looks like #166s
Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1079461' date='Dec 24 2009, 02:53 PM
What after market wheels do you have? From your pics it kinda looks like #166s
Yes- they are , I have some 15mm hubcentric spacers that I am putting on all four but the strange thing is the spacers have the exact same little play on the hub.... Can this be normal or and I just thought of this I have not checked all four but the prevous owner changed all disks with new ones the hub bore is connected to the disk right maybe the New disks centerhub are off a little
Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Members

I had a similar problem on my 04 545i. terrible vibration around 70 MPH. was told everything from bad tires to bent rims. replaced all 4 tires and rims with brand new michelin ps2 and tsw wheels. vibration was still there. noticed slight amount of play between wheel center bore and hub. i took some foil tape used for home heating ductwork and wrapped it once around the hub. reinstalled wheels carefully as not to disturb the tape, torqued the wheels and no more vibration.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr' post='1079638' date='Dec 25 2009, 01:01 AM
I had a similar problem on my 04 545i. terrible vibration around 70 MPH. was told everything from bad tires to bent rims. replaced all 4 tires and rims with brand new michelin ps2 and tsw wheels. vibration was still there. noticed slight amount of play between wheel center bore and hub. i took some foil tape used for home heating ductwork and wrapped it once around the hub. reinstalled wheels carefully as not to disturb the tape, torqued the wheels and no more vibration.
foil tape, i will have to find that, i used Teflon tape it only took about 3 times around to make it nice and snug,.... i dont know if i could fit anything that might be thicker..... but thanks, i dont have a terrible vib, just a small one
Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr' post='1079638' date='Dec 25 2009, 12:01 AM

WOW super idea i tried it(foil tape)and no more vibrations, once the tires are warmed up, alot smoother thanks for the tip, i added one extra piece of foil tape to make it real snug and a very good improvement... great idea for anyone have vibration issues, check your wheel to hub space very closely goto home depot buy a roll of foil tape ($8) and cut some perfect size mini hub rings to fill the .001 space inbetween and you will have a smoother ride
Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1082264' date='Dec 31 2009, 05:01 PM
WOW super idea i tried it(foil tape)and no more vibrations, once the tires are warmed up, alot smoother thanks for the tip, i added one extra piece of foil tape to make it real snug and a very good improvement... great idea for anyone have vibration issues, check your wheel to hub space very closely goto home depot buy a roll of foil tape ($8) and cut some perfect size mini hub rings to fill the .001 space inbetween and you will have a smoother ride
Hey! Great you got it solved!
Happy New Year!