E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Particle filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
ya5
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

So other night driving along and car suddenly looses power .. still drives but no go when putting foot down .. only revs upto and not over 3k
took it home and as was late didnt look at it till next morning and hoping it was one of them things that "magically" fix it self over night ..

No still the same .... so had a quick look under the hood and couldnt see/find anything wrong .. and with all the electro gizmo's :thumbsdown: ( something I really really hate on cars ) I took it to be plugged in at local garage ...

Faults that came up were glowplugs.. 4 had errors .. so had these cleared and off I went .. car was still the same and would not rev over 3k ... and then went into limp mode ..

Took back garage and re-read the codes ... glowplugs again, particle filter and maf ...

Not sure about the glowplugs error, as car starts up first time everytime, although is a lil bit lumpy on cold start... could this be cause of lumpy idle ??

Particle filter .. well is blocked .. and needs changing at cost of around ?1200 .. and is stealers only part ...

maf error is most likely due to the particle filter been blocked and car not breathing properly ...

so is it possible to clean out the particle filter ?? as im guessing it main use is to stop soot, and black smoke coming out of exhaust ...

going to get car on ramp and take it off .. and have a looksie .. and try to gently clean the pressure sensor just before the particle filter

Any help/advise/info would be great thanks ..

Car is 2005 E60 530d auto ..

THANKS
Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

I had the same issue, but the problem was the broken Turbo. the turbo wheel hang up due to axle floating,means the wheel blocked, even floored the engine didn't revved over 3k..
Replacement costs ~2000?
GL,
Ivano
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 AM
ya5
Members

grrrr... not what I wanna hear .. lol ...

So did you have any errors logged when you had problems with turbo ??

Im taking off the particle filter and gotta be worth a shot at cleaning it ...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

I didn't have any errors showing in the screen.
I drove the next day to BMW and the car was fine again, only when the SA called me to say the Turbo was gone I was like "GTFO" - the car has only 100k KM down and now this!
Try your luck with the DPF and keep us updated;-)

Ivano
Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 AM
ya5
Members

Have previously to this noticed that every few days the DPF was been "rejuvernated" as the exhaust tone changed and the revs were held higher ( its an auto ) ... and it did smell a little odd/weird when it did this if you went to back of car ...
When it first lost power, I did try to take it for a long run on the motorway .. but this was a struggle as the car took for ever getting up to 50-70mph and even then the revs were up an down .. and then it would go into limp mode ... grrrrr......

Had codes cleared and tried again, car wouldnt rev over 3k rpm .. and while on the motorway went into limp again .. had it blasting along for a good 50miles with average speed of 65mph ... had codes cleared again and still would not rev over 3000rpm and went into limp mode within 2mile drive ....

So picked up two new gaskets and bolts and nuts from BMW and took off the DPF ... emptied 4 cans of carb cleaner into it... and filled it up with hot water ... it was full with water to the brim .. and it was just sitting there .. no water coming out other end ... so got hose pipe and blasted it with that ...

Now someit was happening .. lots of $hite started coming out ... looks like black soot/carbon ...spent about an 45min washing it through and also put a can of degreaser through it ....
Still lots of crap was coming out .. so decided I needed something with more pressure to attack it with ..
Got hold of a pressure washer and I thought the filter was fairly clean by now .. but soon as I blasted it with presssure, couldnt believe how much crap came out .. and continued to come out ...
eventually after about another hour of cleaning it .. water was coming out clear .. filled it up with water to the brim .. and it was happily seeping out now .. so have defo cleaned it ..

Put the DPF in me oven at gask mark 4 to dry it lastnight ... had to do this when mom went sleep, as dont think they would be to pleased with finding a DPF been cooked in the oven

Got up early and bolted the DPF with new gaskets and bolts .. ( good job got new bolts as snapped two when removing them ) .. started car up and it smoked and smoked like a good'un for about 30min ... ( all moisture, cleaner, chemicals burning off ) took it for a little blast .. no difference as was still in limp mode ...

So took it to the garage and had codes cleared off ...
codes that came up was glowplugs 1 ,3 & 4
Supercharger pressure
Particle filter

Guessing the supercharger pressure error is due to the car not breathing properly and pressure building up ??
Have had go straight work from garage so was stuck in stop / start traffic all the way there .. grrrrrr.....

But drove the 5 miles to work and car did at first seem a little lumpy and revs a little up and down at first .. but now seem to have settled .. did give a little blast , full foot down and it did go
So far revs over 3k rpm fine and has not gone into limp mode ..
Going to take it to the garage after work and see if or any error pop up on the computer..

And if all ok going to take it on a good long run motorway run tonight ...
Touch wood everything is sorted ??...

Oddly in the iDrive it now says DPF has to been changed at 90000miles .. hmmmmm ???
Thanks for the advise people ..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D 2004

Regarding the DFP I've heard that when it reaches 0 miles you could got to a bmw workshop and they can force the car to do a sefl-regen. of the DFP ( you would have to drive the car at 3k rpm or higher for at least 30 mins.) . After this it either works and you have a good as new DFP , or it doesn't work and you have to change it . Offtopic : how do you remove the DFP I have a problem with the exhaust manifold and I can't figure out how to get to it , do I work under the car or under the hood ? thanks ! Sorry for any spelling errors .
Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

Does the DPF still works now or can you still see smoke coming from the exhaust?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
ya5
Members

@ Maxxone & trevorken

all is working fine with the DPF ... seems to self clean quite alot more than normal .. but hoping that it settles down after a bit .. and no smoke at all ...
the DPF is very easy to get to ... it is basically in the centre of the car underneath .. held in with 8 13mm bolts/nuts ..
If you are removing it .. then get the two gaskets and a set of bolts first .. ( I managed to snap two bolts when removing ) .. and didnt fancy putting the old bolts back in either ...

Car is in limp mode once again due to a one of the intercooler pipes have a 3inch gash in the top rubber part of it .. and Mr BMW dont sell the rubber bit on its own .. so have to buy the whole of the pipe from intercooler to intake at a stupid price ..... grrrrrr......
Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Members

Did you guys know re-generation can be requested using BMW DIS? See images of my error codes and details on the DPF.

480A 480A system of partical filter
Mileage 137504 km
Engine speed 689.56 1/min
coolant temperature 72.21 °C
Ash mass in particle filter 28.97 g
Injection quantity 4.33 mg/Hub
Air mass per cylinder 308.78 mg/Hub
Smut mass in particle filter 63.94 g
exhaust volume flow in particle filter 41.80 m^3/h
Difference pressure above particle filter 49.23 mbar
Abgasgegendruck vor Particle filter 1073.23 mbar
Environment pressure 1004.30 mbar

481A 481A system of partical filter
Mileage 137512 km
Engine speed 1682.53 1/min
coolant temperature 83.25 °C
Ash mass in particle filter 28.97 g
Injection quantity 18.12 mg/Hub
Air mass per cylinder 428.51 mg/Hub
Smut mass in particle filter 76.92 g
exhaust volume flow in particle filter 167.18 m^3/h
Difference pressure above particle filter 236.31 mbar
Abgasgegendruck vor Particle filter 1260.30 mbar
Environment pressure 1004.30 mbar
Attached Thumbnails Particle filter-bmw-dpf-error.gif   Particle filter-bmw-dpf1.gif   Particle filter-bmw-dpf-regen.gif  
Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Members

BMW 535d 145k kM
I had a similar problem, overall loss of power especially at low revs, thought it my be the small turbo. Had a look under the engine cover and discovered one of the vaccum rubber hoses ( above turbos) broken due to heat and several others not in a good shape. I changed them thinking this might be the problem, tried the car and still had no go in it, on the way back home the car ground to a stop! It would tick over but as soon as I tried to accelerate the engine would die. Had to be towed home by the AA ! embarresing! There was a continuous hiss from the turbo area when the engine was ticking over, it turned out to be a blocked particle filter 2K to fix!. Car is going better than it has ever done, at least it was not the small turbo. My large turbo was changed at about 60k km under warranty due to a turbo oil leak, maybe it contamined the particle filter. I will try to clean the particle filter the next time!

A note on those small vaccum hoses ( cloth covered)I would think that any engine which has this level of miliage would have similar damage to the hoses.

Quick Reply: Particle filter