E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem with windscreen washer jets

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

When I use the windscreen washer jets the fluid flow is very weak. I have had this problem before and it was fixed under warranty but now the car is out of warranty. I recall them saying something about a blocked filter but I'm not so sure because it would be very difficult for debris to get into the washer fluid system. Recently it stopped working completely so I thought the washer fluid tank was empty so I filled it up but the tank wasn't empty. After pressing the washer fluid button for a while it started to work but only very weakly with most of the fluid dribbling over the bonet.

Has anyone else had this problem before and does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Or does anyone know how to access the filter for the washer fluid system?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe try saw palmetto?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Members

It might be a problem with the pump it uses? Or the pipe could be blocked, on my E39 the pipe got blocked, when you pressed the lever you could hear the motor going but no water came out. Some bloke unplugged the pipe at the junction, blew down the pipe and removed the blockage.

Can you hear the motor going in yours?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 535d M Sport

Got exactly the same problem with mine, drivers side is a bit weak, and the passenger side has just stopped working completely

Just been to the dealers to book it in and the advisor told me it's not covered under warranty because it could be blocked due to an incorrect washer fluid/water mixture!!

What did they change when yours went in to the dealers anit?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

It could be that the jets are clogged with wax (from drive-thru washes or sloppy hand-waxing), or if the are both relatively equal in their weakness, it could be that the pump is beginning to fail..

To get rid of the wax, I'd try to clean the nozzles with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol or something similar. Be careful, and re-wax the paint around the area when finished.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Members

Well I thought i'd have a go at fixing the problem myself, I had the idea of flushing out the whole system so here's what I did:

1) Hold the washer stalk until everything is gone (It keeps stopping every 20 seconds or so, this is normal)
2) Put a hose in the washer fluid top up shute and turn on the tap
3) Keep holding washer stalk until just water comes out (Idea is to flush out the system completely)
4) As the bonnet was open, I could see water dripping on the passenger side (Which wasn't working at all). Went to have a closer look and the pipe wasn't even connected it had fallen out and water was spraying everywhere. Connected it back up again and all is well - both jets working perfect again
5) Get rid of hose, spray a bit more water to make some room in the washer fluid tank, and top up with washer fluid
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ///MrSingh' post='818276' date='Mar 16 2009, 05:06 PM
Got exactly the same problem with mine, drivers side is a bit weak, and the passenger side has just stopped working completely

Just been to the dealers to book it in and the advisor told me it's not covered under warranty because it could be blocked due to an incorrect washer fluid/water mixture!!

What did they change when yours went in to the dealers anit?

I think they said that the filter was blocked or something. But I will try sorting it out over the weekend.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear anit999,

Maybe the water is close to ice?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='819335' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:40 AM
Dear anit999,

Maybe the water is close to ice?
The pump/filer gets clogged and is easy to clean out. When this happened to me, both jets operated the same - barely a trickle was coming out of them. If you have one jet that is good and one that is bad, I would think it was the jet that is clogged.

To clean the pump/filter will take less than a half hour. After you do it once, about 15 minutes.

The pump/bottle is located on the drivers side front. You can pull the pump out of the bottle and blow it out backwards which should clear it. Or, at least it did for me:

Turn wheels to the left.
Remove about a half dozen screws in the front of the wheel well that holds the plastic cover in place. Just the front area. There is also a plastic plug as I recall in the top, but do not pull this out.
You can peal the front of the wheel well out from underneath the fender, which will give your hand access to the washer bottle.
The pump easily pulls out of the washer bottle.
Remove the hose on the other end of the pump.
Blow it out and re-install.
Note, you will lose washer fluid when the pump is out.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jsal' post='819490' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:00 PM
The pump/filer gets clogged and is easy to clean out. When this happened to me, both jets operated the same - barely a trickle was coming out of them. If you have one jet that is good and one that is bad, I would think it was the jet that is clogged.

To clean the pump/filter will take less than a half hour. After you do it once, about 15 minutes.

The pump/bottle is located on the drivers side front. You can pull the pump out of the bottle and blow it out backwards which should clear it. Or, at least it did for me:

Turn wheels to the left.
Remove about a half dozen screws in the front of the wheel well that holds the plastic cover in place. Just the front area. There is also a plastic plug as I recall in the top, but do not pull this out.
You can peal the front of the wheel well out from underneath the fender, which will give your hand access to the washer bottle.
The pump easily pulls out of the washer bottle.
Remove the hose on the other end of the pump.
Blow it out and re-install.
Note, you will lose washer fluid when the pump is out.

Thanks for that jsal
I might give that a go this weekend as my jets still seem a little weak

Quick Reply: Problem with windscreen washer jets