DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

530 Spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming up on 100K miles and want to change my plugs. I've searched for a DIY but could not find one - does anyone have instructions or insight on the procedure? Any recommendations on replacement plugs?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

I just changed mine out last week following some rough directions I had seen on the forum. Just search for spark plug change and you can use the directions for the other models as a reference. I think I had followed the N52 engine directions, I have a 2005 530i. In hindsight now, I feel that I could do the job in an hour or less. I took some pictures while doing the change, I'll try to find time to post them up with a detailed DIY, possibly tomorrow. I skipped out on taking pictures of a few steps, but it was more of the minor steps and I've seen pictures on the forum to cover those.

As far as plugs, you can go to BMW and they should be around $20 a plug. I purchased mine from www.pelicanparts.com for $11.75 a piece and you would need 6. They offer free shiping with a $75+ purchase, I just purchased an oil filter while I was at it, but if you haven't changed your microfilters, you can order those because they must be taken out when you do the spark plug change anyway. You can use either the NGK or Bosch spark plugs, Bosch is what was standard in my car.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lawr' post='767751' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:13 PM
I just changed mine out last week following some rough directions I had seen on the forum. Just search for spark plug change and you can use the directions for the other models as a reference. I think I had followed the N52 engine directions, I have a 2005 530i. In hindsight now, I feel that I could do the job in an hour or less. I took some pictures while doing the change, I'll try to find time to post them up with a detailed DIY, possibly tomorrow. I skipped out on taking pictures of a few steps, but it was more of the minor steps and I've seen pictures on the forum to cover those.

As far as plugs, you can go to BMW and they should be around $20 a plug. I purchased mine from www.pelicanparts.com for $11.75 a piece and you would need 6. They offer free shiping with a $75+ purchase, I just purchased an oil filter while I was at it, but if you haven't changed your microfilters, you can order those because they must be taken out when you do the spark plug change anyway. You can use either the NGK or Bosch spark plugs, Bosch is what was standard in my car.
I'll be glad to see them. I'm going to change mine next week.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Members

I tried to be as detailed as possible with my photos, and I'll try to be just as detailed with my explanation. Again, I'll try to post it all up tomorrow evening, I should have time then. I also replied to your PM, check it out.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

i would assume it's similar to this (with less plugs): http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=47957 (550 instructions)
Old 01-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='768356' date='Jan 14 2009, 10:10 PM
i would assume it's similar to this (with less plugs): http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=47957 (550 instructions)
It is similar to that and those are the types of instructions I followed when I did mine. The pictures I took just go through all the little steps and leaves out any guess work. For those people who may be new to working on their cars, the more detail and explanation, the better.

Sorry, still haven't had time to post it up. I just uploaded the pictures last night and sorted through them. Been busy with real work
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Members

I tried posting the DIY up on here, but I guess photobucket images aren't allowed. I'll have to find out what works on this forum for hosting pictures. What do you guys use?

Anyway, I have two options to view the write up I did. One is if you PM your email, I can send you a word document that has everything typed out, but the pictures are all linked so you have to click the link to view the pictures. The second option is to go to this site and see it, I'm not sure if it will display properly though, but we'll see. Sorry again, I typed this up really quickly.

2005 530i Spark Plug Change DIY

Thanks!

~Lawrence
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lawr' post='772192' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:51 AM
I tried posting the DIY up on here, but I guess photobucket images aren't allowed. I'll have to find out what works on this forum for hosting pictures. What do you guys use?

Anyway, I have two options to view the write up I did. One is if you PM your email, I can send you a word document that has everything typed out, but the pictures are all linked so you have to click the link to view the pictures. The second option is to go to this site and see it, I'm not sure if it will display properly though, but we'll see. Sorry again, I typed this up really quickly.

2005 530i Spark Plug Change DIY

Thanks!

~Lawrence
Thank you Lawrence, I wish I would have seen your diy when I did mine but atleast I know I did it right now that I saw your diy.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EV4530' post='772197' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:59 PM
Thank you Lawrence, I wish I would have seen your diy when I did mine but at least I know I did it right now that I saw your diy.
No problem, this site has already provided so much for me that I thought I would pay it forward in a sense. I'm glad to hear that mine and your procedures coincide. I wish I had done a better job of documenting the whole thing though, but it was almost an after thought. Also my camera batteries were dead, I constantly had to take my batteries out in order to snap a picture or two before it would shut off again and again.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Members

WOW! This is great! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to change my plugs now.

Quick Reply: 530 Spark plug change