E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Recommended Radiator Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, silver. 2001 740iL Sport, Steel Blue. 2008 K1200S, Black 2005 R1100S, Boxer Cup

I just wanted to let everyone know about a hidden problem that the E60 may suffer from as they get older... My 2004 545i started to lose a small amount of coolant very suddenly, about a quart a day, -yeah I know that's a lot, so I decided to try and track down the leak last night. At first I thought it was a small leak from an o-ring around a temp sensor located at the lower radiator hose, but that wasn't it, so I decided to pull the "cover" over the top of the radiator and slowly keep digging deeper until I found the problem. When I removed the cover I found that there was an alarming amount of old leaves, grass, weeds and sand literally PACKED between the radiator and the A/C condenser. I started by trying to blow it out with a water hose, then with an air hose and it wasn't really going anywhere, so as I continued to dismantle things to gain more access I realized how easy it is to remove the radiator, so I did.

The removal was incredibly easy; when I did get it out I sprayed it some more with water and air, then I brushed it with soapy water and eventually I got 90% of the sand and crap out of it. The bad news is that I found the leak; it appeared to be caused by the junk that was stuck between the radiator and A/C condenser by causing corrosion from rotting leaves and sand. I had to have the radiator replaced.

The lesson to be learned is that it is probably worthwhile to remove the cover over the radiator every couple years and clean out all the junk that builds up. Considering that the radiator in these cars is the best, most robust design I have ever seen, I was very surprised to see that it failed in less than 5 years. The coolant and everything else in the cooling system looked perfect, so with a little exterior maintenance, it should last a lot longer. I should also mention that I am located in Minnesota, so we do get more than our share of road salt in the winter that doesn't help matters.

It only takes about 5 minutes to pull the cover,(only 8 or 10 torx screws), so you may want to check it, or have the dealer check it and clean it periodically.

Hope this helps someone avoid the inconvenience of a leaky radiator someday.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Members

Damn, I'm in MN too and you're scaring me. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out in the spring.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Thanks
Although she's only 1 year old, I'll monitor...
Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Thank you for this useful post!
Any pics of the process or the broken radiator?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

My car is leaking coolant from that exact spot right now! It's going to the dealer on Wednesday for that exact issue! I suppose I should be expecting a new radiator out of this. Gotta love the warranty!!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, silver. 2001 740iL Sport, Steel Blue. 2008 K1200S, Black 2005 R1100S, Boxer Cup

Sorry, no photos of the job in progress. I drove the car to my hangar and started digging for the leak there, so I didn't have a camera with me,(Iwasn't expecting to find what I found).

I believe that the leak could have developed anywhere since it looked like it was caused by some leaves that stuck to the radiator. You could see the areas where leaves and junk were stuck becuse the aluminum was stained a dark brown and wouldn't come clean,(lots of areas). I sprayed a little soap all over the radiator and blew a little bit of air into the radiator and saw bubbles coming from one spot. After a lot of aggressive cleaning and some brushing with a wire brush I could see a very small crack in two of the radiator lines just as they came out of the tank; it almost took a magnifying glass to see the cracks.

The cover that you need to remove is the formed metal part that the hood latches are installed in. There are 8-10 large area T-30 torx screws that hold it in place. Once you remove that,(you don't need to do anything with the latches, just leave them connected and move the whole assembly to lay on top of the engine), there is another plastic cover with five T-27 torx screws that hold it in place. under that cover you will be able to see between the radiator and the A/C condenser and have good access to all the junk stored between them. In order to completely clean it out, it is best to remove the radiator,(it's really easy), but that will require you to refill your cooling system as it will all drain out. I'd suggest doing it in conjunction with a cooling system flush.

As a side note, it appears that if your alternator goes out, you will need to remove the radiator to get to it, so that would also be another good time to have it done, but I know the alternators seem to last forever. Maybe as a preventative measure, it might be worthwhile overhauling the alternator in conjunction with a "major service" like the radiator cleaning.

Hailander - when you decide to get to the job and want to do it yourself, let me know and I'd be happy to help. My hangar is a great place to do this sort of thing, summer or winter.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Can you post a smimply step-wise DIY of pulling out the radiator? You could add photos to this for all of us to see..would make a great DIY and Im sure would be highly appreciated...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i. Built 5/2005. Bought by me 7/2008. Olivin Green, beige interior; 6MT; sport package; cold weather package; premium sound package; xenon lights; PDC; rear shades.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='754563' date='Dec 28 2008, 09:04 PM
Can you post a smimply step-wise DIY of pulling out the radiator? You could add photos to this for all of us to see..would make a great DIY and Im sure would be highly appreciated...

+1
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Members

Alright, no photos because I am not going to do the job again so I can take pictures, but it was very easy. I just stumbled my way through it with no instructions. But this should be enough info to help the average guy remove the radiator in a 545i with auto transmission. I'm not sure what may be different with other models, but I assume that they will be nearly identical.

1. Make sure the radiator is cool and drain the system by unscrewing the drain at the lower right corner.
2. Remove the upper radiator support cover. The cover that you need to remove is the formed metal part that the hood latches are installed in. There are 8-10 large area T-30 torx screws that hold it in place. Once you remove that,(you don't need to do anything with the latches, just leave them connected and move the whole assembly to lay on top of the engine), there is another plastic cover with five T-27 torx screws that hold it in place. Remove those screws and remove the plastic cover. You will also have to unclip the plastic tube that runs across the top of that cover.
3. Pull up on the wire clip that latches the upper radiator hose and disconnect the hose from the radiator and push it aft away from the radiator.
4. Unplug the electrical connectors on the RHS of the radiator,(there are 3 of them), and push them out of the way.
5. Pull up on the radiator fan about 2 inches, then fold the LHS tab aft to clear the upper radiator hose flange as you pull the fan up and out of the car. Once you get about half way out you will need to rotate the fan assembly counter clockwise,(when looking aft), to get it out as the RHS tab does not fold to clear the A/C tubing.
6. Disconnect the lower radiator hose,(same as the upper), and disconnect the small hose that is connected to the top of the coolant reservoir and runs across the top of the radiator.
7. Disconnect the oil cooler that sits at the lower Left side of the radiator. To do this, there is a pull tab that sits below the connection. Pull down on the tab and it will pull the wire latch open so the assembly can be slid aft off of the radiator flange. Note that there is a small "hook" at the top of the assembly that it hangs from and that will need to be hung back on that hook upon reassembly.
8. Simply pull up on the radiator and it will slide straight up and out of the car. -Done!

Installation is the reverse of removal. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cwmenne' post='754621' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:54 PM
Alright, no photos because I am not going to do the job again so I can take pictures, but it was very easy. I just stumbled my way through it with no instructions. But this should be enough info to help the average guy remove the radiator in a 545i with auto transmission. I'm not sure what may be different with other models, but I assume that they will be nearly identical.

1. Make sure the radiator is cool and drain the system by unscrewing the drain at the lower right corner.
2. Remove the upper radiator support cover. The cover that you need to remove is the formed metal part that the hood latches are installed in. There are 8-10 large area T-30 torx screws that hold it in place. Once you remove that,(you don't need to do anything with the latches, just leave them connected and move the whole assembly to lay on top of the engine), there is another plastic cover with five T-27 torx screws that hold it in place. Remove those screws and remove the plastic cover. You will also have to unclip the plastic tube that runs across the top of that cover.
3. Pull up on the wire clip that latches the upper radiator hose and disconnect the hose from the radiator and push it aft away from the radiator.
4. Unplug the electrical connectors on the RHS of the radiator,(there are 3 of them), and push them out of the way.
5. Pull up on the radiator fan about 2 inches, then fold the LHS tab aft to clear the upper radiator hose flange as you pull the fan up and out of the car. Once you get about half way out you will need to rotate the fan assembly counter clockwise,(when looking aft), to get it out as the RHS tab does not fold to clear the A/C tubing.
6. Disconnect the lower radiator hose,(same as the upper), and disconnect the small hose that is connected to the top of the coolant reservoir and runs across the top of the radiator.
7. Disconnect the oil cooler that sits at the lower Left side of the radiator. To do this, there is a pull tab that sits below the connection. Pull down on the tab and it will pull the wire latch open so the assembly can be slid aft off of the radiator flange. Note that there is a small "hook" at the top of the assembly that it hangs from and that will need to be hung back on that hook upon reassembly.
8. Simply pull up on the radiator and it will slide straight up and out of the car. -Done!

Installation is the reverse of removal. Hope this helps.
Thank you sir good to know

Quick Reply: Recommended Radiator Maintenance