DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dension Gateway 500 - plug and play DIY install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

First of all read this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=48749 as I am not going to repeat anything already shown here. My aim for this write it to fill in the gaps and also tell you how to get you to do a completely plug and play install. I've not made a single hole or cut any wires in this install.

First of all Dension tell you to power the Gateway 500 with an unswitched power supply and not from the CD Changer. However in our cars you can power it from the CD Changer because the CD Changer is on as long as the car is on and then goes to sleep with everything else. Powering this directly from the battery is not required and not recommended too else you may drain the battery.

Next to make this install a full plug and play solution you need the following BMW OEM parts

1 x UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNCODED 3 POL. 61138377072
1 x UNIVERSAL PIN TERMINAL UNCODED 3 POL. 61136931929
2 x PIN-CONTACT 0,75MM 61130006664
2 x BUSHING CONTACT 0.75MM 61130006663

So what you do is disconnect the plug X18180 from the back of the CD Changer, that will have two power lines and the 2 optical cables.
Remove the RT/VI wire from the position 1 and put a 61130006663 in its place, this will become your +12V.
Then remove the BR wire from the position 2 and put another 61130006663 in its place, this will become you -ve.
Put the RT/VI and the BR wires of the CD Changer that you just removed into 61138377072 in position 1 and 2 respectively. Its always a good pratice to maintain the numbering between plugs, that way you can put things back together later.
Now put two 61130006664 into 61136931929 at positions 1 and 2.
Next join up the wires between Dension Red power line and the wire coming out of the CD changer position 1 and the wire coming out of 61136931929 position 1.
Tape or solder the joint well and then insulate this.
Do a similar thing with the Dension Black power line and the wires coming out of the CD changer position 2 and the wire coming out of the 61136931929 position 2.

If done correctly you should be left with the car's original wires RT/VI and BR going into your new socket 61138377072 and when that mates with your plug 61136931929 that will distribute power to both the CD Changer and the Dension Gateway.

When you was to reverse this all you need to do is put the CD Changer contacts back into the original socket.

In terms of the placement of the Dension Gateway unit what I did was attached two sided Vecro (hooks) tape to the back of the unit and position the unit high in the passenger's footwell to the Left. This position is good because it allows the various plugs to be put into the unit from the bottom and the main power and optic cables come into it from the front. In the image the Dension unit is where the bright Orange optic fibers are connected to.
Dension Gateway 500 - plug and play DIY install-dsc00199.jpg

Then ran the cables all the way to the center console. Dension sell an extension kit for their accessories but I didn't bother with that because its a standard USB cable and I just used one that I had got with a USB stick. The iPOD one is more tricky and it actually uses a 9 pin mini DIN which is hard to find. To extend this cable you need 1 each of items MD-9P and MD-9S from this site http://www.action-electronics.com/ppdin.htm or pick up R58190B-08 from http://www.stockcable.com/minidin.shtml which is a Male-Female extension which jcool10181 picked up for me (thanks again).
In terms of the Dension Aux box which has the switch for the CD Changer or Dension, the default is the Dension. So if you never intend to use your CD Changer again and your not going to use the Dension provided AUX IN then you need not connect the AUX box.

Dension Gateway 500 - plug and play DIY install-dsc00196.jpg
Dension Gateway 500 - plug and play DIY install-dsc00197.jpg

Thats it. And finally remember that the instructions that are included with your unit may not be the same as the ones you download. Where Dension may brilliant products their documentation department is rubbish.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring Sport Auto, Sophisto Grey II, Pro Nav, BT and voice control, USB (6FL), Cream/Black leather, folding mirrors, heated seats, Privacy glass, 18" (with Runflats), 2011/61 Plate (Dec 11)

Thanks for this - just wanted to let people know that the parts listed *may* not be suitable for their vehicles. I installed a Dension 500 today and picked up the above parts but my CD changer power connector must be different so I couldn't use them sadly! Either that or the dealer supplied me the wrong parts I guess!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Thanks!

Did you pick up the 6ft or 12ft iPod cord extension? (R58190B-08)
Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I bought both but went with the 6 feet in the end. Some day I will shift my CDC and Dension to the boot and then my 12 feet cable will come handy. I want to make space in the glove for a DVD player instead.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='831889' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:47 PM
I bought both but went with the 6 feet in the end. Some day I will shift my CDC and Dension to the boot and then my 12 feet cable will come handy. I want to make space in the glove for a DVD player instead.
Thank you sir.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Members

Bruce, thanks for sharing this.
Unfortunately my car 535td is left-steering. So your place to stick the Dension won't work for me.. ;-(
(For me the connectors are on the wrong site...)
I put it in the glove box just for the CD-apartment. I have to remove the usb cable for changing CD's but with over 20 Gb music on the iPod.. why changing CD's ;-)

Johan E
Meppel
The Netherlands
Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Members

how easy is it to route the cable to the armrest comaprtment?
Ps im also looking to fit a CarPC - or a mac mini (to the dension if possible ) this should play my dvds and mp3s, any good sites that do this

Originally Posted by johane' post='840323' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:30 PM
Bruce, thanks for sharing this.
Unfortunately my car 535td is left-steering. So your place to stick the Dension won't work for me.. ;-(
(For me the connectors are on the wrong site...)
I put it in the glove box just for the CD-apartment. I have to remove the usb cable for changing CD's but with over 20 Gb music on the iPod.. why changing CD's ;-)

Johan E
Meppel
The Netherlands
Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Members

Just wanted to post a big thanks for Bruce Miranda for the directions on powering the Gateway 500. Note to others: I stored the Dension GW500 in the space above the CDC. I didn't use any tape (yet) but if it starts to move around above there or any of the connections become loose I'll tape it down at that point.

Before installing remove fuse 38!! When I got the GW500 installed I couldn't get power to it. Turns out I blew fuse 38 (5 amp fuse last on the right in the glovebox) and I couldn't figure out what the hell happened. The radio had no volume and the CD in the dash wouldn't play. From what I can tell it's labeled as "CDC" but this fuse runs the radio in it's entirety. It's it's busted the radio doesn't work.

The original post (https://5series.net/forums/topic/487...n-gateway-500/) by Muttley is great for taking out the CDC and splitting the optical from the power, etc. I followed it up to picture 8... the 9th picture in his post (..."This is what the fibre optics will look like"..) may be an old way of installing the GW500. I followed the Dension layout on 2A (see Virtual Rain's post #18 off of Muttley's original post that this has worked since 2008).

I have a 2005 545i w/ CD Changer (aka "CDC") and MP3 update for the in-dash CD (done at the BMW dealership a few months ago.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by fkrieger
I have a 2005 545i w/ CD Changer (aka "CDC") and MP3 update for the in-dash CD (done at the BMW dealership a few months ago.
Do you have a navigation system? If not, was the Dension plug and play with no further coding?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Sorry for jumpin' in ... it has nothin' to do w/ Navigation as I don't have Nav but I am using Dension.

Coding is required to add additional input into iDrive so if you have CD Changer then you are set.
Why CDC? 'cuz Dension and/or OEM iPod module is acting as CD Changer for the control, so if you have only "CD" on the menu then you'll need coding but if you can see "CD1 CD2 CD3 ... CD6" then you can replace the CD Changer (or iPod module) w/ Dension.

GL!

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Do you have a navigation system? If not, was the Dension plug and play with no further coding?

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 - plug and play DIY install