E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

VPC paint job on Aero Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took delivery of my 550 last month I immediately noticed what appeared to be a paint drip on the areo bumper piece that runs under the drivers door. As I walked around the car I noticed another paint imperfection on the rear quarter of the aero bumper. It was noted in my initial inspection, and I scheduled the work this week at the BMW certified paint shop at my dealer. It should be noted that my aero bumper was installed at the New Jersey port.

It turned out that the imperfection was actually in the plastic piece itself and my body shop manager indicated that his shop would have prepped the entire aero kit prior to painting, but the port being in such a rush, skips that step and just paints away.

It took the paint shop 3 days to complete the work, they were going to completely remove the side piece of the bumper, strip it, sand it, and repaint it. When I went to pick up the car yesterday I noticed that the imperfection on the other side of the car was still there. They took the car back to the body shop and the body shop manager noticed several other paint imperfections all over the aero bumper. The dealer took the car back and will now completely remove the aero bumper kit on my car and strip it and redo the entire thing. The BMW rep will be at my dealer today so they can show him how the VPC does paint work.

I asked the manager why BMW doesnt just do the aero bumper at the factory for the US market, and he couldn't explain it. All this work will cost BMW 2 times the cost of the original work. This is a perfect example of why this idiodic VPC aero kit work makes no sense at all. I am driving around a brand new 3 series which I have had all week now.

The moral to this story is the VPC may know how to remove and replace bumpers real well, but their painting leaves a bit to be desired. I can only speak for the NJ VPC here. I have had my car since June 24th and i have less than 100 miles on her now.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with it! I also don't understand why they just don't do the kit at the factory. It makes no sense to me at all to have the VPC do it. Then again as much as I love BMW I don't understand alot of things they do. For example, why aren't the power folding mirrors available on the 5 series here?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Agree - they should do it at the factory. What do you think VPC does with all the brand new bumpers and rocker panels they pull off? They re-sell them to dealers for collision work. What a scam. Anyway, I am satisfied with mine with the exception that there is a drip on the edge of the headlight washing door. I figure I'll leave well enough alone.

By the way veight, what dealer do you use? Knauz?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pa550' post='310710' date='Jul 14 2006, 09:54 AM
Agree - they should do it at the factory. What do you think VPC does with all the brand new bumpers and rocker panels they pull off? They re-sell them to dealers for collision work. What a scam. Anyway, I am satisfied with mine with the exception that there is a drip on the edge of the headlight washing door. I figure I'll leave well enough alone.

Yes Knauz. I have been real happy with them.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pa550' post='310710' date='Jul 14 2006, 09:54 AM

My SA thinks they scrap them. The labor and materials is such a waste. BMW must have a real good reason not to be doing aero kits at the factory. Its costing them alot.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='310697' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:26 AM
When I took delivery of my 550 last month I immediately noticed what appeared to be a paint drip on the areo bumper piece that runs under the drivers door. As I walked around the car I noticed another paint imperfection on the rear quarter of the aero bumper. It was noted in my initial inspection, and I scheduled the work this week at the BMW certified paint shop at my dealer. It should be noted that my aero bumper was installed at the New Jersey port.

It turned out that the imperfection was actually in the plastic piece itself and my body shop manager indicated that his shop would have prepped the entire aero kit prior to painting, but the port being in such a rush, skips that step and just paints away.

It took the paint shop 3 days to complete the work, they were going to completely remove the side piece of the bumper, strip it, sand it, and repaint it. When I went to pick up the car yesterday I noticed that the imperfection on the other side of the car was still there. They took the car back to the body shop and the body shop manager noticed several other paint imperfections all over the aero bumper. The dealer took the car back and will now completely remove the aero bumper kit on my car and strip it and redo the entire thing. The BMW rep will be at my dealer today so they can show him how the VPC does paint work.

I asked the manager why BMW doesnt just do the aero bumper at the factory for the US market, and he couldn't explain it. All this work will cost BMW 2 times the cost of the original work. This is a perfect example of why this idiodic VPC aero kit work makes no sense at all. I am driving around a brand new 3 series which I have had all week now.

The moral to this story is the VPC may know how to remove and replace bumpers real well, but their painting leaves a bit to be desired. I can only speak for the NJ VPC here. I have had my car since June 24th and i have less than 100 miles on her now.
Thanks for the heads up. I pick mine up next week. It is coming out of the Oxnard, CA VPC. I will be extra observant when inspecting the car.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Members

So if you kept your Euro Delivery, would it have been factory installed or still installed at the VPC when the car finally arrived in the States?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Veight' post='310734' date='Jul 14 2006, 11:52 AM
BMW must have a real good reason not to be doing aero kits at the factory. Its costing them alot.
probably some usa regulation such as bmw never crash tested the m bodykit bumpers here so can't ship 'em with the kit, or something along those lines.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributors

That's no fun. But it sounds like you will have a perfect M Kit when redone, and it's always good to work with a dealer who is on the ball.
Once you have the 550i back and have it fully broken-in you won't remember this delay much.
How is the 330?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60COYOTE' post='310746' date='Jul 14 2006, 11:20 AM
So if you kept your Euro Delivery, would it have been factory installed or still installed at the VPC when the car finally arrived in the States?
If I still did euro delivery, the bumpers would still be put on in NJ port. Any car destined for the US market does not currently get factory installed Aero kit.

Quick Reply: VPC paint job on Aero Bumper