DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Comfrot Seat Headrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I was always unsatisfied with the sport seat headrests. They didn't tilt forward enough to allow me to rest my head comfortably while driving. So I special ordered a set of auburn comfort seat headrests a while back. They finally came in about 2 and a half weeks after I ordered them along with the replacement brackets. If anyone is interested, you will need two comfort seat headrests and two comfort seat headrest brackets (to accomodate the wider diameter of the comfort headrest legs) Check out this link for the list of part numbers for the comfort headrest with their respective colors. Real OEM. In addition, the part number for the bracket is 52108169457 (BLACK). You will need two of these, one for each seat. And now for the DIY. Thee instructions being given will refer to the picture directly underneath the instructions. For this project you will need a dremel tool with a cutting/drilling attachment, your hands and a lot of muscle.

Start by first raising the the headrest all the way up. Pull firmly on the headrest upwards to unclip it from the raising mechanism. Set aside. Next to remove the back of the seat, it is easier to unclip one side at a time. First push in firmly on the side of the backrest and pull outward. It's a little tricky but you need a lot of force to push in the side. A little wiggling might help too.

Heres a pic of the backrest unclipped

Next here is a closeup of the backrest clips. Once you have the upper clips released, pull the entire backrest upwards to remove it totally.

Okay heres the part which requires the dremel. The brackets are almost impossible to remove without cutting. The clip underneath the leather that the bracket attaches too is very tight. So i took a dremel and cut out a line from the bracket. Be careful not to cut the leather and the clip under the leather.

Now the bracket can be removed by pushing the area that you cut together and pulling up. This will also take a bit of pulling and wiggling. It helps if you slide your hand underneath and grab hold of the clip below the leather so you won't rip the leather.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributors

This next part is a pain in the butt because you have to remove the two white brackets from underneath the leather. If you look down the two holes in the seat, you will see two white brackets. These will need to be removed to accomodate the new diameter of the comfort headrests. Using one hand from underneath and one hand from above, unclip the bracket from underneath and pull the clip out from the two holes.

Now that they are removed, you can attach the new bracket. Simply line the bracket up with the clip (which should still be underneath the leather) and clamp them together.

Next, slide the new headrest into the new bracket.

Be sure to clip the new headrest into the moving mechanism. Just push down firmly and they should click
right in.

Replace the back of the seat and enjoy your new headrests with the manual support adjustment. I love it!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

David
Old 04-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

Very Nice Job I also like those headrest aproximatelty what was the cost
Old 04-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributors

The total was about $450.

David
Old 04-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

David wise man, very nice and talented job reply for my pm plz
Old 04-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Good God!!!! That is awesome Nicely done David
Old 04-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='263363' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:46 AM
This next part is a pain in the butt because you have to remove the two white brackets from underneath the leather. If you look down the two holes in the seat, you will see two white brackets. These will need to be removed to accomodate the new diameter of the comfort headrests. Using one hand from underneath and one hand from above, unclip the bracket from underneath and pull the clip out from the two holes.

Now that they are removed, you can attach the new bracket. Simply line the bracket up with the clip (which should still be underneath the leather) and clamp them together.

Be sure to clip the new headrest into the moving mechanism. Just push down firmly and they should click
right in.

Replace the back of the seat and enjoy your new headrests with the manual support adjustment. I love it!

David
David,

Very good/details instructions and nice photos to aid the removal/installation of the headreset
Old 04-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

thanks for sharing and the details very usefull information excellent pictures.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Now a stupid question:

Does your head really rests on the headrests when you are driving with these new comfort headrests?

In my case mine head stands upright when I'm driving, and I don't toch the headrest...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='263363' date='Apr 1 2006, 12:46 PM

right in.

David
David,

What is the part number of the headrest and the bracket ? I could not find them from ETK. Another question, do you really need to cut the old bracket out ? Can this bracket be reused for the comfort seat headrest ?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Comfrot Seat Headrest Retrofit