E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hand brake is slipping. What and where do I adjust this

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

My hand brake is not holding as it used to and requires quite a hard pull up to hold the car. What and where do I adjust this?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you asked this I've always wanted to know the answer to this. I remember reading that the hand brakes work directly off of the regular service brake ? I never confirmed If that was true.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

1) Lift the rear wheel(s) up
2) Remove rear wheel(s)
3) Turn the wheel hub in a position where one of the wheel bolt holes is on the lowest point possible
4) See through the hole with a torch and you'll see a little gearwheel inside the hub. The teeth of the wheel are facing outside towards you through the hole.
5) Put a screwdriver in and turn the gearwheel up (it should tighten the handbrake when turning up if I remember it right).

The above is a common guide how to do it. However, it could be a good idea to loosen the gearwheel at first, then hit the hub with a hammer and blow some pressured air inside (through the wheel bolt holes) to loosen the dirt on handbrake shoes. Then tighten it up as much as it goes. At this point try to turn the wheel hub. If it's locked, there's still something left of the brake shoes lol! Then loosen the gearwheel just a bit. Repeat on other side. If the wheel hub doesn't lock when the gearwheel is tightened up, you probably need new handbrake shoes.

- Antti -
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Although the following TIS references a brake force analyzer, it also illustrates the parking brake adjustment unit.

BMW TIS - 34 10 014 Adjusting handbrake
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

^^^ What Antti Said!

That is how you adjust it. The dealership did mine about a month ago. No need to completely remove your back wheels, just take out one lug bolt on each side, then rotate the wheel to where you can see through the hole, through the hub to the adjustment wheel. You have to click the little wheel all the way till it stops, then back it off 1 or 2 clicks. You have to do both sides tho.

Mine was so worn out (because I park on my driveway on a hill) that I would often have to pull it up all the way, then back down, hit the brakes again, and pull back up again for it to catch. All better now!

..Also after releasing the parking brake, If i reversed it would always make a loud screeching sound coming from the rear, like the drum pads weren't releasing all the way... VERY ANNOYING.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Many people - especially if they park on level surfaces all the time - never set the "Parking Brake" . However, it's a good idea to use the "Parking Brake" from time to time to keep the cables and moving parts from corroding (freezing) in place. That's especially in climates where there are rainy seasons or wide temperature swings ... condensation can build up and freeze or cause corrosion in the moving parts.

Notice I referred to this as a "Parking" not Hand Brake! In the old days drivers would often use the Hand Brake when driving - to swing the rear of the car out. Then it was called the "Emergency Brake" ... but with modern, dual circuit brake systems that was less necessary. At best, today, they would probably be ok to slow a car but I'm not sure it's got enough braking force to haul our cars to a halt.

So, now, apply the "Parking" brake! In more new cars - done by pushing a button! See, they really don't make them like they used to
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Interesting, going to check mine. I have to pull up my handle very high also.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

awesome. i have autos and I always use this anyway.