E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: What aspect of CIC compels you to have upgraded or want to upgrade the most?
Hardware (Bigger highres 10 in screen and new controller)?
30.77%
new design and layout?
30.77%
updated 3d graphics navigation?
7.69%
ipod intergration more seamless( usb option cover art and song titles on screen)?
7.69%
bluetooth audio streaming?
0%
online options(web browsing, news, weather, fb/twitter, google search, web radio, and calender)?
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

whats so special about cic???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing some research for my own knowledge/project because I wan't to know from those of you who are considering a cic retrofit or already have done it or had it come with their cars, what specifically sold you the most about it? as some of you know the upgrade might seem a bit pricey to some, but those who have done it sure feel like its well worth it. If i missed anything in the poll let me know post it here. Thanks for you help
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Seen the CIC on a 3er loaner car awhile back.

NAV graphics weren't much better but calculations were faster due to the system being HDD based.

Display improvements were ok - but definitely not jaw dropping

Didn't care for the "improved" iDrive knob. BMW nailed it with the orginal because of its simplicity or as one member once posted "too many buttons is "- now its a rip off from the Audi MMI.

The online options require a BMW Convenience Plan subscription, which in turn requires an active Safety Plan subscription. So you are looking at a minimum of $200 a year for this feature.

IMO I'd do this upgrade if my CIC ever failed, but I don't see any other reason for the swap.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
IMO I'd do this upgrade if my CIC ever failed, but I don't see any other reason for the swap.
hmm thanks for your input, and with that I also want to welcome people to tell me why to not upgrade as well
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

I had a loaner for a week with the Cic nav. I didnt think it was any special, until i got my car back and looked ay my cic nav.... It really looks outdated once u get used to cic.
I would get it if it wasnt so expensive.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

yeah at times the ccc can be kinda old looking in comparison to the cic. Especially for load times that hd based system is snappy... I want one so bad but i can't bring myself to justify spending 4-5 g's i don't think the cost vs enjoyment ratio is equal..
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by spediegunz
yeah at times the ccc can be kinda old looking in comparison to the cic. Especially for load times that hd based system is snappy... I want one so bad but i can't bring myself to justify spending 4-5 g's i don't think the cost vs enjoyment ratio is equal..

Neither could I justify the cost. At some point you have to be realistic, our cars are depreciating like a stone. That means the car I bought for $30k in 2008 (CPO) is now worth ~$14-15k. It's paid for, yes, but I just can't mentally justify any upgrade costing more than 10% of the value, anything more than that and a newer model WITH CIC becomes more attractive than going through the hassle. My CCC did fail, it cost me $650 for a "new" one (remanufactured, they don't make the CCC anymore). But, hey, that's just me: "If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense" - and no one in their right mind will pay you extra for your car just because it has CIC vs CCC Nav.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Wow I'm kinda surprised, at the results so far I thought more people would say good things about it. I know the price is probably the main reason why some are not interested . But if money were no object, I still want to know if you find something most appealing about the cic or if its nothing at all that's cool too.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The CIC is a much better system than the CCC but its not without its flaws. I do agree that it doesn't seem to justify the price but even the original Nav when specd doesn't. There are actually quite a few functions that existed in the CCC that BMW didn't include in the CIC, so everything is not a step up.

But for someone like me who was keeping their perfect car and would only upgrade because of the new tech, it made sense.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
But for someone like me who was keeping their perfect car and would only upgrade because of the new tech, it made sense.
+100...When I bought my past cars it's always been to keep it until they die. I have never sold a car before and always end up giving them to friends who need them or have teenage kids that got their licenses. My bimmer is the first car I bought pre-owned so it doesn't bother me about upgrade costs. It's still a great car that I will keep and eventually (hopefully) give to my daughter in 3 years when she gets her license.

With that in mind, alot of times newer is better, so if you can put a newer technology on your car I'm all over that.

The way I see it, my car became a hobby. And as with all hobbies, one person can see it as a "waste of money" and another can see it as a new toy to have fun with. In the end it's how you see your car. Business or pleasure.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by balbs
+100...When I bought my past cars it's always been to keep it until they die. I have never sold a car before and always end up giving them to friends who need them or have teenage kids that got their licenses. My bimmer is the first car I bought pre-owned so it doesn't bother me about upgrade costs. It's still a great car that I will keep and eventually (hopefully) give to my daughter in 3 years when she gets her license.

With that in mind, alot of times newer is better, so if you can put a newer technology on your car I'm all over that.

The way I see it, my car became a hobby. And as with all hobbies, one person can see it as a "waste of money" and another can see it as a new toy to have fun with. In the end it's how you see your car. Business or pleasure.

You have a point. If someone is keeping the car for a very long time it may make more financial sense to do the upgrade - especially if their car didn't have NAV to begin with. I guess I am in a different situation, I have now had 36 cars in my lifetime and I don't see that trend ceasing. I love my car, but getting a newer one (or an F10) with more power and all the updated goodies makes more sense for me. For someone else? That is up to them to make that case.

Quick Reply: whats so special about cic???