E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Retro Fit Heated Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a 2006 E60 m series 530i. It has a lot of toys including electric leather seats which are very nice. I am disappointed though on these cold mornings that they are not heated. Am I able to retro fit heating elements? If so has anyone tried and can point me in the right direction? If not I will sit on a hot water bottle and hope it doesn't burst.

Thanks,

Gramac
Old 12-30-2011, 04:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535 xi Platinum Grey Metallic - Natural brown dakota Leather - Nav - Premium- Sport - Cold weather - CA

Upholstery guys can add aftermarket seat heaters.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i

Originally Posted by Gramac
Hi,

I have a 2006 E60 m series 530i. It has a lot of toys including electric leather seats which are very nice. I am disappointed though on these cold mornings that they are not heated. Am I able to retro fit heating elements? If so has anyone tried and can point me in the right direction? If not I will sit on a hot water bottle and hope it doesn't burst.

Thanks,

Gramac

+1 I would like to know the answer to this as well
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Hi
Check your Idrive setting first 2. The relay for heated seats 3,Do you get any voltage by the element connector ? If all is Ok your element is gone which is the weakest part of sport seats and GL.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i

Originally Posted by ali-cap
Hi
Check your Idrive setting first 2. The relay for heated seats 3,Do you get any voltage by the element connector ? If all is Ok your element is gone which is the weakest part of sport seats and GL.
I think he talking about doing an actual retro-fit from non-heated seats to heated seats.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Hi,

Thanks,

Gramac
The BMW heated seat elements are actually sewn into the seat fabric, i found this out when I reupholstered my cloth seats with covers taken from leather seats. I did not want to lose the heated benifits and ended up removing all the old cover's stitching to get the elements out. Because of this, the easy option would be to go for aftermarket heating mats and fit these under your existing covers. Be warned tho- removing and replacing the covers is hard work. If you do go ahead- warning, it took me approx 9 hours to do the 1st seat, once I knew what I was doing with the second, it was only about 4. If you go ahead, dont try to take seat out in one piece- theyre heavy and akward to manouver, I did passenger seat 1st and in one piece, when I did driver's I seperated back from base in car, it was a lot easier, although a pain to get to the bolts on tunnel side- gains when getting in and out made it worthwhile as less risk of trim/paint damage. On the wiring side I can't give any advice as I was just moving existing parts, but the BMW ones have heat sensors so going aftermarket on elements will prob mean having a totally non BMW setup would be best- maybe using the dash switches to operate relays? Good luck with the project!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

[quote name='Gramac' timestamp='1325187928' post='1409053']
removed- it did twice?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 AM
New Members

Thanks,

Where would I obtain an aftermarket heating mat to stitch in to existing seating? I thought I may be able to slide them in somehow and perhaps glue them rather than stitching? Would there be an existing power supply close (near the electric motors for the seats?).

Thanks

Gramac.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

possible alternative:

http://forums.5serie...post__p__725614

heated rear seats:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/108...st__p__1292291
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Members

Thanks,

Where would I obtain an aftermarket heating mat to stitch in to existing seating? I thought I may be able to slide them in somehow and perhaps glue them rather than stitching? Would there be an existing power supply close (near the electric motors for the seats?).

Thanks

Gramac.
Ebay- search heated seat mat? Note that the seat covers are held behind the seams to the base- if you get wire element type you will have to avoid these points(attachment is a metal ring, called a hog clip I think)- when I used the BMW ones, they are carbon(?) wire and I just cut through with a sharp knife, accepting I'd lose a couple of areas of heat. If you want to slide in, you could maybe get mats small enough to fit between the across stiching, but to insert you'll still have to remove some rings at the side seam.

Quick Reply: Retro Fit Heated Seats?