E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My flying trunk door!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05" 545i sport pkg, alpine white / auburn. heads up display, mtech front bumper, sitting on 19" style 128.

This should be a walk in the park for you e60 experts. Who I love btw.

Every time I open my trunk door with a key or my driver side button my trunk door opens sooo darn FAST, it feels like it's going to break my back windshield, plus it shakes my whole car. The only Safe way to open is to push the button under the license plate. Is this normal with all e60. Is it lack of spring or too much spring? I'm not even cool enough to press my key after playing golf or groceries...lol. advise please! thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

I think this might be normal...mine opens super fast as well...As long as I don't hear it slam on anything I can assume everything is all good.....

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Somebody might have adjusted the spring before you and that would have caused this, meaning you might have too much tension on your it. Open the trunk and remove the driver's side panel from within. I believe that if it is at the far end of the notches (I dont remember which end) it has been adjusted.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 05" 545i sport pkg, alpine white / auburn. heads up display, mtech front bumper, sitting on 19" style 128.

Thanks I'll give that a try. There has to be an adjustment. It's just not normal.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545i05
Thanks I'll give that a try. There has to be an adjustment. It's just not normal.
There is - and I always warn people who are standing at the rear of my car as I use the inside truck release to STAND BACK!!

Before I adjusted mine it would open so fast it could take off someone's head!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

There was a thread a few years back here on the forum about a guy who's wife went around the back of the car and got whacked by the trunk lid......we all TRIED not to laugh, but we figured she had it coming to her!

PS It is adjustable, but as it doesn't hurt anything, I use it that way all the time....cart full of groceries etc. and full hands, it actually saves some effort! Keep your kids away though!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

You can adjust the spring in the rear. I am not sure if there are specific tool for it, but be careful, it doesn't look like it's that easy, lol.

Or just add a trunk finisher. The added weight should slow that puppy down.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by 545i05
This should be a walk in the park for you e60 experts. Who I love btw.

Every time I open my trunk door with a key or my driver side button my trunk door opens sooo darn FAST, it feels like it's going to break my back windshield, plus it shakes my whole car. The only Safe way to open is to push the button under the license plate. Is this normal with all e60. Is it lack of spring or too much spring? I'm not even cool enough to press my key after playing golf or groceries...lol. advise please! thanks.

This happened to someone I knew- it would open so fast that even I thought the back window was about to break.

Turns out the springs were totally fine, it was the gas spring that hooks up to the boot and sits INSIDE the spring that was completely missing- so the springs would force the boot to open fine, but the gas springs that SLOW the boot down when the boot's almost fully open were not even there. So it would open, then bounce 2-3 times really hard once it got to the top.

They look something like this, but covered in springs obviously.
http://dubfoto.com/albums/userpics/10003/Trunk_Hinge_1.jpg
Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

btw, it's only fitted to one side of the car iirc
Old 12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
There was a thread a few years back here on the forum about a guy who's wife went around the back of the car and got whacked by the trunk lid......we all TRIED not to laugh, but we figured she had it coming to her!

PS It is adjustable, but as it doesn't hurt anything, I use it that way all the time....cart full of groceries etc. and full hands, it actually saves some effort! Keep your kids away though!
Imagine if you get pulled over....and the cop asks you to pop the trunk...and gets whacked in the face!!!!

Wouldn't that be something?

Quick Reply: My flying trunk door!