E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 BMW 530d

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 5 Series 3.0 D, E60.

Hi all,
I have experienced a very slight lag in acceleration on my car, the car opertates at idle speed with no problems and cruisses on the motorway again with no problems. However, after a short motorway journey the vehicle sometimes takes two or three seconds to pick up when the pedal is pressed, i have had no warning lights displayed and engine sounds normal. I have recently used a redex diesel fuel cleaner in the car,would this cause any problems??? Can any one shed any light on this problem.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Not trying to be a dick but, diesels arent very prominant for having the best acceleration especially if its not turbo'd. on most deisel engines you have to rev the balls off them just to get a little bit of nice power and by that time yo have to change gears again.

maybe im just arrogant.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 5 Series 3.0 D, E60.

appreciate any opinion, the car is a three litre 55 plate 5 series has bags of power then suddenly no power for a few seconds. I dont think its because its old or tired but more something trivial, any
other ideas,
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by craigyfm
Hi all, I have experienced a very slight lag in acceleration on my car, the car opertates at idle speed with no problems and cruisses on the motorway again with no problems. However, after a short motorway journey the vehicle sometimes takes two or three seconds to pick up when the pedal is pressed, i have had no warning lights displayed and engine sounds normal. I have recently used a redex diesel fuel cleaner in the car,would this cause any problems??? Can any one shed any light on this problem.
Could be a clogged DPF (diesel particulate filter). Get the error codes read.

Originally Posted by Razz
Not trying to be a dick but, diesels arent very prominant for having the best acceleration especially if its not turbo'd. on most deisel engines you have to rev the balls off them just to get a little bit of nice power and by that time yo have to change gears again.maybe im just arrogant.
You don't seem to know much of modern diesel engines. BMW diesels are all turbo charged obviously. A 530D produces approx. 230bhp and 500Nm of torque, that is available from around 1800rpms.

- Antti -
Old 11-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Could be a clogged DPF (diesel particulate filter). Get the error codes read.

You don't seem to know much of modern diesel engines. BMW diesels are all turbo charged obviously. A 530D produces approx. 230bhp and 500Nm of torque, that is available from around 1800rpms.

- Antti -
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Members

ive had that problem when ive come to a junction , go to pull off quick and nothing i was told its turbo lag.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by craigyfm
Hi all,
I have experienced a very slight lag in acceleration on my car, the car opertates at idle speed with no problems and cruisses on the motorway again with no problems. However, after a short motorway journey the vehicle sometimes takes two or three seconds to pick up when the pedal is pressed, i have had no warning lights displayed and engine sounds normal. I have recently used a redex diesel fuel cleaner in the car,would this cause any problems??? Can any one shed any light on this problem.

Does this happen when pulling away from a complete standstill?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj

Does this happen when pulling away from a complete standstill?
yes mate, its happened twice on me, 1st time i was at a roundabout and had to stop, went to pull off quick and it hardly moved the car that was coming from the right had to brake
Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Yeah.... I highly doubt it's the turbo lag. It's happened to me a couple of times as well, come up to a roundabout and stop completely. When it's time to go the car just seems dead for a second, but what a crucial second it is lol.

In fact, just thinking about it, I think it's only happened to me when I'm in D. Usually I drive in manual mode, and the starts are always in M2. Hmmm, needs more investigate I think.

I've heard a lot of people talk about poor response from standstill and a lot of people have managed to cure the problem by doing the "25 sec transmission reset".

BTW, I'm assuming you guys all have automatics, am I right?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Yeah.... I highly doubt it's the turbo lag. It's happened to me a couple of times as well, come up to a roundabout and stop completely. When it's time to go the car just seems dead for a second, but what a crucial second it is lol.

In fact, just thinking about it, I think it's only happened to me when I'm in D. Usually I drive in manual mode, and the starts are always in M2. Hmmm, needs more investigate I think.

I've heard a lot of people talk about poor response from standstill and a lot of people have managed to cure the problem by doing the "25 sec transmission reset".

BTW, I'm assuming you guys all have automatics, am I right?

I have the same problem and I have had the problem earlier (couple of years ago) with Rover 75 with the BMW 2.0 diesel engine in it.
I'm about to investgate my 5 series and as I have 2 turbos, it could be hard....., but the lowest turbo is suspected to be faulty.

Now, back to the Rover 75, I have had so many poeple looking at it, I have change Air Flow Meter couple of times and no one could find any problem, turbo pressure was OK on the grpah, Air Flow Good, than old friend of mine just said to change the turbo - and it was it, at the first point the old turbo taken of the car seems to be OK, but when I have used the new one, it was like magic, no waiting response for the acceleration, nice whistling sound......

It is really hard to say what ia wrong, it could be even one of the small air hoses.

Quick Reply: 2005 BMW 530d