E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

big pothole VS wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

just hit a huge pothole, it was covered in water so i didnt see the size of this thing. i immediately knew my wheel was bent upon impact. luckily it happened right next to a tire shop who removed and put on my spare within couple minutes and for 5 bucks.

i took photos of the wheel and pothole in different angles and plan to go to the city about being reimbursed somehow for the price of the wheel tire. anyone have any luck dealing with the city and pothole damage? i have video of cars and trucks hitting this thing. no way this thing happened overnight, this must have been here for a while. totally unsafe especially at this size, this isnt no tiny little pothole and no signs anywhere.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Damn sorry to hear man. Where was this at so that we can watch out and how fast were you going?

I'm assuming it wasn't on the freeway since you've been able to take pix/vid clips.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I once claimed a damaged hubcap when I had my Mazda 626. Damm piece of plastic cost 60 bucks but my town reimbursed me for the expense. Can't hurt to contact your mayor's or city manager's office to see what they'll be willing to do for you.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i must have been going 25-35 mph not even that fast because i was just about to turn right on the up coming street and these streets are known for potholes so i thought i was being careful, i didn't know that the grand canyon was going to be there. this was on pch/western right infront of the jack in the box in city of lomita. i have another photo of my hand in the pothole to show the depth of it. and also video of trucks hitting it hard. city should be responsible for this. i dont pay taxes to drive on crappy streets.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

double post
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

The same exact thing happened to me in LA. I convinced the insurance company that it wasn't my fault. I said it was pouring outside and I saw the pothole at the last second, slowed down and had no way to avoid it because there was a car to your left, curb/house to the right, and slamming on my brakes would have caused the car behind to hit me (all true). They denied me at first but I convinced them that it was the safest possible thing I could have done.

If they give you crap, write a letter asking what they would have recommended you to do. They tried to tell me that I should have let the car behind hit me (so they wouldn't have to pay out). We wrote a letter asking if that was my company's position on the accident and, if so, that we were going to report them to the BBB, Insurance commissioner, etc. They quickly changed their minds and deemed me not at fault...

They will try and file a claim with the city but will most likely be denied then pay it. You can also say you will file a claim, if the city pays it then you'll drop the insurance claim.

I got about $1500

Wheel alignment/balance: $500
Tires/rims: $1000 (deductible)
New windshield: $1000

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails big pothole VS wheel-photo.jpeg  
Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5

Damnn thats too strong. am sorry for that and hope everything goes well with u. good luck
Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You should check your rear wheel as well... I hit a similar hole last month and the damage looks about the same. After it was repaired I was still getting a little vibration and a humming noise. I actually thought it was the repaired wheel. After a few days I went and had the rear wheel checked. As soon as he pulled it off the car and sat it down I seen it. BENT ! That was another $100.00 ...
Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Members

Will take you a few phone calls to speak to the right person, but you can get reimbursed from the city. Happened to a friend of mine in so cal and he was reimbursed by the city. Something with my ride at a target shopping center, target paid for the tire that blew and a new oem rim. Good luck
Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Members

Also have your alignment checked as well

Quick Reply: big pothole VS wheel