E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gearbox fluid change on LCI 530xd

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,
I'm back here again with another (actually two) questions

The subjects says quite enough - it's about the automatic gearbox on facelift (LCI) models. I heard that this oil mustn't be changed (actually it is written on it) yet I'm unable to believe that there is such a perfect oil/fluid that might keep it's capabilities for 7-8 years / 150k miles (or even more). However, I've heard some folks has tried to change it (even though the dealers (here in Bulgaria) claimed that the gearbox is "capsuled" and this procedure is impossible). Some of them were lucky where others failed with plenty of alarms. When they called the dealer, they told them that this is well known failure that requires a transmission change (the whole gearbox!!!)! Dealer told him also, that even they were trying to do that twice on different LCI models and failed with the same issue. I'm really confused and wondering - has anyone of you guys managed or even tried to change this fluid?!

I'm using this topic to share something else and ask for opinion. I've recently bought myself 530xd with around 60k miles on clock. Everything is just perfect for now, but when I went to the garage (NOT an official dealer) to change the engine oil - I was told that the car took only 6 liters of oil! I checked the cue to see the oil level and it was very, very close to the MAX. I'm little bit confused because this means that they didn't change it whole. They told me that there was NOTHING left in and they drained the old fluid to the very last drop. As far as I know this engine holds ~8 liters (7.7) What do you think?

Looking forward,
Dani