E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering lower joint assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

I recently bought an '08 528i from a private party (out of warranty) and noticed a clunk from the steering column. I had a PPI done before purchase but apperantly this was missed.

On saturday I looked at all the suspension components and could not find anything that was suspect. When I reached the steering joint assemply from underneath and wiggled it, it seemed the noise was coming form atop (inside the cabin/steering column area). So today I took the steering wheel trim cover off and it appears to be lower joint assemply. The joint has part number 220-105-5733-A but it appears the replacement part is the entire lower joint assembly 32306780892 (part 5 on drawing)

Has anyone replaced this? Any suggestions?

Steering lower joint assembly-steering_column.jpg

Steering lower joint assembly-dscn2263.jpg

Steering lower joint assembly-dscn2268.jpg
Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA 04

Originally Posted by justoracle
I recently bought an '08 528i from a private party (out of warranty) and noticed a clunk from the steering column. I had a PPI done before purchase but apperantly this was missed.

On saturday I looked at all the suspension components and could not find anything that was suspect. When I reached the steering joint assemply from underneath and wiggled it, it seemed the noise was coming form atop (inside the cabin/steering column area). So today I took the steering wheel trim cover off and it appears to be lower joint assemply. The joint has part number 220-105-5733-A but it appears the replacement part is the entire lower joint assembly 32306780892 (part 5 on drawing)

Has anyone replaced this? Any suggestions?

Attachment 124765

Attachment 124766

Attachment 124767
Comon problem for e60 clunking steering box.Replace for new one (could be round 2000 eur) or restauration for 200 eur but it`s in Latvia.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Members

We're talking about two different things - the part I'm talking about is the lower steering column which should be around $400 US (part 5 on the diagram). Has anyone replaced this? Any tips/advice?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Any tips/advice?
Make sure everything is clocked correctly to keep the steering wheel straight, mark the shaft. I believe you have a cable reel in the steering wheel assembly and it will only turn so many turns one way and the other. Turn it more than that at you risk breaking a very sensitive (expensive) part.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Op, search for this topic because I remember reading a thread made by a member here when he replaced his. He had a similar problem as yours.

Gl
Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
PDP
Members

My Ride: E60 530D

Try to tighten parts number 7 and specially parts 6 (torx bolt) mine dissapeared with this.
Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Members

I'm happy to report the clunking noise is gone. The lower steering shaft was replaced today, I didn't trust myself to do the repair, plus the shop (indy) said it would require an alignment depending on how the installation went.

The odd thing is that the old part does not appear to have any play? Hard to say, but maybe PDP was correct, it may just have needed to be tightened all around. I tightened the top bolt but it didn't make a difference ?? Regardless, I'm very pleased the stupid clunking noise is gone. The part was $400 (dealer only) and labor was 2 hours $190 no alignment needed. Old part below:

Steering lower joint assembly-dscn2464.jpg
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Members

I'm happy to report the clunking noise is gone. The lower steering shaft was replaced today, I didn't trust myself to do the repair, plus the shop (indy) said it would require an alignment depending on how the installation went.

The odd thing is that the old part does not appear to have any play? Hard to say, but maybe PDP was correct, it may just have needed to be tightened all around. I tightened the top bolt but it didn't make a difference ?? Regardless, I'm very pleased the stupid clunking noise is gone. The part was $400 (dealer only) and labor was 2 hours $190 no alignment needed. Old part below:

Attachment 125798
Glad to hear the noise is gone. I think I may have the same issue on my E60. It mainly clunks when pulling into my driveway or where there is a dip in the road while turing in. Plus now it's starting to happen going over some bumps in the road as well. Does this sound similar to your issue?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by franco5
Glad to hear the noise is gone. I think I may have the same issue on my E60. It mainly clunks when pulling into my driveway or where there is a dip in the road while turing in. Plus now it's starting to happen going over some bumps in the road as well. Does this sound similar to your issue?
I had the same noise and the dealer couldn't duplicate it. When you would hit a bump sometimes, almost as if the shock would extend, this is when you would hear it. Almost all of the time coming in my driveway as I would roll over the transition from the road to the driveway. A month later when I had it back in for the last service I turned on the car and quickly moved the steering wheel back and forth and you could hear the noise. The SA agreed and when I collected the car at the end of the day they said the lower steering bearing was changed and car was aligned. Noise was gone.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Members

Yeah franco5, it sounds a lot like it.

You can try to tightened the lower joint assembly (part 6 on the diagram) at the top by the steering wheel and down below by the steering rack. If you don't get any improvement than you may choose to replace the joint assembly to see if it gets rid of the clunking sound. Mine was really noisy when trying to parallel park in a tight spot - a lot of turning of the steering wheel so you could hear it and feel it on through the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering lower joint assembly