E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery or Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Hi to all!

Something weird happened to my car last Wednesday morning. I started the car and I noticed that the idrive was not responding, no radio, and the knob was just turning freely. It was like that for a while and when I shut the engine off and turn it back on again, everything went back to normal. But yesterday, it won't start at first and when the car started there was a car icon and below it was the word SERVICE. I noticed that all the services were in yellow except for the spark plug and car check, and also the date and time were erased. According to the idrive the battery was disconnected. So, I set the time and date and the service were all green again after the date and time were set.I checked the battery and it was insufficient charge, according to the round clear indicator on top of the battery which is black at that moment. Is it the battery or alternator? Please, I need an advice before I go to the dealer. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

I think it's the battery. When was the last time the battery got replaced? I think you can swing by Autozone or Sears and have them check the voltage of the battery. I think good condition battery has to be above certain amount but I forgot what it was. I had to change my battery last year so it basically lasted around 4 years.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Both battery and alternator could be bad - it's possible.
You need to test one at a time. Start with ruling out the cheaper part. Take the to PepBoys or Autozone and have them test the battery with LOAD TEST. If the battery is good, go on to testing the alternator.

While the engine is running, you can test the output of the alternator, the voltage should be slightly higher than 14V. Anything less than that, alternator should be rebuilt/replaced.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Thank you guys for the input. I went to AutoZone and they told me that the battery is good and the alternator's output was at 14.4V. The gentleman from Autozone told me that the battery was just discharged. I will try to charge the battery first because i just replaced my battery 2 years ago. What kind of battery charger do I need to buy? What is the proper way to charge the battery and how long? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

If the battery is currently discharged, Autozone saying 'the battery is good' doesn't make sense. You can't do a LOADTEST on a battery that's discharged. Proper way to test a battery is do a LOADTEST.

Give the battery to AutoZone and have them trickle charge the battery. It will take at least 5 to 6 hours. After the battery is fully charged, have them LoADTEST the battery and see if it's good. If the battery is good, install it.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by manaiauds
Hi to all!

Something weird happened to my car last Wednesday morning. I started the car and I noticed that the idrive was not responding, no radio, and the knob was just turning freely. It was like that for a while and when I shut the engine off and turn it back on again, everything went back to normal. But yesterday, it won't start at first and when the car started there was a car icon and below it was the word SERVICE. I noticed that all the services were in yellow except for the spark plug and car check, and also the date and time were erased. According to the idrive the battery was disconnected. So, I set the time and date and the service were all green again after the date and time were set.I checked the battery and it was insufficient charge, according to the round clear indicator on top of the battery which is black at that moment. Is it the battery or alternator? Please, I need an advice before I go to the dealer. Thank you!
Have a good read below. I had a similar experience just recently...was battery, despite dealer telling me "battery is fine" about 5 times. Don't believe it!

https://5series.net/forums/topic/112...1#entry1335434