E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

I notice when i come to a complete stop during normal driving. As soon as the light turns green and i have to wait about 3 seconds because the transmission feels like it went into neutral then back to drive. If i dont wait a few seconds and give it gas it will jerk . ?? ive noticed the 06+ 3 series , and 04+ 5 series do the same but they seem to get into gear way quicker...i know this is some feature to save gas while idleing but not quite sure?

Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

3 seconds is a bit long though but that delay does happen with our transmission at stop light. You can try the resetting method to see if it makes any difference, if not time to change that fluid. Some people had better experience after changing the tranny fluid but of course BMW's fluid is lifetime
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Ever have your transmission serviced? What's your mileage?
Maybe fluid levels are low?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jgt
Ever have your transmission serviced? What's your mileage?
Maybe fluid levels are low?
It has 78k miles,
HOw do i check the transmission fluid?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

If there is no sign of leakage then I wouldn't worry so much about the fluid level being low but as far as I know, there is no dipstick so you have to check it through the fill up plug above the pan itself.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Members

Could there be a software update???
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
3 seconds is a bit long though but that delay does happen with our transmission at stop light. You can try the resetting method to see if it makes any difference, if not time to change that fluid. Some people had better experience after changing the tranny fluid but of course BMW's fluid is lifetime

Whats the resetting method?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by MlifeE60
I notice when i come to a complete stop during normal driving. As soon as the light turns green and i have to wait about 3 seconds because the transmission feels like it went into neutral then back to drive. If i dont wait a few seconds and give it gas it will jerk . ?? ive noticed the 06+ 3 series , and 04+ 5 series do the same but they seem to get into gear way quicker...i know this is some feature to save gas while idleing but not quite sure?

Any ideas?
Seems like i have the same problem but only when i put it in reverse.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 545 does not have the "engine stop feature" when you come to a halt. Your problem has nothing to do with the other cars you listed as your car does not have that feature. It also does not cause a pause like that in the cars with the engine cutoff feature.

Something is definetly wrong if you are waiting 3 seconds to get it into gear. That is not software or fluids. That is something going wrong that I would check out ASAP if you are in warranty. If out of warranty it might be a good idea to trade the car in for another one and give your problem to the dealer to worry about. A new tranny installed is prob 7500 and they really do not "repair" any tranny problems with these things, they just stick a new refurbished model in there which is pricey.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
Your 545 does not have the "engine stop feature" when you come to a halt. Your problem has nothing to do with the other cars you listed as your car does not have that feature. It also does not cause a pause like that in the cars with the engine cutoff feature.

Something is definetly wrong if you are waiting 3 seconds to get it into gear. That is not software or fluids. That is something going wrong that I would check out ASAP if you are in warranty. If out of warranty it might be a good idea to trade the car in for another one and give your problem to the dealer to worry about. A new tranny installed is prob 7500 and they really do not "repair" any tranny problems with these things, they just stick a new refurbished model in there which is pricey.

Its not every time. sometimes when im on Sport mode it will be just fine. but when in drive i notice it happening. the transmission shifts smooth in every gear. but only at red lights is where i notice this late shift to first gear.

Quick Reply: Transmission going out?