E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DAB Tuner and know how to retrofit it

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006
Default DAB Tuner and know how to retrofit it

DAB Tuner and know how to retrofit it-dab.jpg

I have a DAB tuner for sale that I had bought to install myself. But having retrofitted the CIC unit I cannot use an external tuner

I know exactly what needs to be done to get this retrofitted and once installed, I could even code the car for you if you came to me. Coding is probably the biggest expense but I will do is for FREE in the price of the tuner, provided to drover up to me. However if you have a working NCSExpert set-up I will tell you how to do this yourself.

I even have a Brand New DAB Shark Fin and DAB rear screen amplifier if you wanted to go completely OEM. If you are in the UK and only need DAB Band III you may be able to get away with installing these and use an aftermarket aerial instead.

Looking for £200 ONO for the tuner on its own. Depending on the various other options in your car there may be other small parts to buy but the tuner is the most important item required. Brand New this tuner would cost you in excess of £500.

This will work for an E87 E90 E91 E60 E61 E63 E65 E70 including the LCIs, as long as you don't have the CIC.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Someone is coming to me this Saturday to get this fitted and coded. So I think people can considered this sold.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Contributors

SOLD.

I can confirm that DAB can be retrofitted on a CCC. I will update this thread just to document all the parts needed to do this.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Contributors

OK for anyone else who wants to retrofit DAB in the UK, these are the parts you will need.

1. The DAB tuner, bracket and screws. See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=65&fg=05
Best to pick up the tuner from ebay because BMW wants crazy money for this.

2. The power and optical plug. This is the same plug as used on the CDC. Except the power is slightly different. The DAB is +12v pin 1, -ve pin 3 whereas the CDC is +12v and -ve pin 2.
The parts you need are
Covering cap x 1 = 61136905200
Bushing contact 0.75MM² x 2 = 61130006663
Socket housing x 1 = 61136901844 $3.42
Envelope f optical fibre cable 2POL. /SCHWARZ x 1 = 61138387214

3. The optic fibers themselves. This is the biggest problem to find because BMW sell this in 7m long lengths which you cannot cut at home. So best to buy a pair of these from Dension. Dension use these one their Gateway 500 and they sell this as a spare on their webshop. Basically what you need is two short lengths of fiber with Male crimps on each end.
Dension sell this as a spare called "Optical connection kit for GW500 MOST"
http://shop.dension.com/en/optical_connection_kit_for_gw500_most_(gw51mo2)__f oa1g51/bwxOj9JAVU10~tMQuwGdSTh6rF8BiOFGBQQq85R3viigpXBDY4 3L~Q/

4. DAB antennae.
You cannot retrofit the E60 OEM dab because that requires another rear windscreen but some people use the Diversity amplifier from the X5 with a looped wire running above the rear windscreen.
But you have several options, but easiest is to pick up an aftermarket one that has an SMB connector. The DAB module has two plugs, one for Band L and one for Band III. UK uses only Band III and the Band III plug is the one on the Left (looking at the back of the module while holding the module with the optic plug on the right). The SMB connector will fit directly into the module, you don't need to buy any BMW plugs for it.
The one I have bought and known to work was bought from www.dabonwheels.co.uk and was called Kinetic MagnetwiG DMA-1002
What you can do is stick the antennae upside down in the boot under the parcel shelf. But my strongest advice is to experiment with different antennae and positions.

5. Get the car coded. If you have a working NCSExpert set-up then you can diy. Just add $654 to the VO and Code Car. Otherwise this may be the biggest expense if you have to do this via an Aftermarket garage. BMW cannot do this because DAB is not a retrofit option
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E39 M5, E60 M5 and F06 M6GC
Model Year: 2000/2006/2016

Hi Bruce

I'm now trying to fit the DAB antenna amplifier and sharkfin I bought from you to my 2006 E60 with 2010 DAB CIC (courtesy of Patryk).

BMW have told me I already have the rear screen for DAB but I can't see where to fit the DAB antenna amplifier (except in place of the diversity amplifier but that doesn't seem right). Where does the DAB anetenna amplifier go?

David

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
OK for anyone else who wants to retrofit DAB in the UK, these are the parts you will need.

1. The DAB tuner, bracket and screws. See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=65&fg=05

2. The power and optical plug. This is the same plug as used on the CDC. Except the power is slightly different. The DAB is +12v pin 1, -ve pin 3 whereas the CDC is +12v and -ve pin 2.
The parts you need are

3. The optic fibers themselves. This is the biggest problem to find because BMW sell this in 7m long lengths which you cannot cut at home. So best to buy a pair of these from Dension. Dension use these one their Gateway 500 and they sell this as a spare on their webshop. Basically what you need is two short lengths of fiber with Male crimps on each end.
http://shop.dension.com/en/optical_connection_kit_for_gw500_most_(gw51mo2)__f oa1g51/bwxOj9JAVU10~tMQuwGdSTh6rF8BiOFGBQQq85R3viigpXBDY4 3L~Q/

4. DAB antennae.
You cannot retrofit the E60 OEM dab because that requires another rear windscreen but some people use the Diversity amplifier from the X5 with a looped wire running above the rear windscreen.
But you have several options, but easiest is to pick up an aftermarket one that has an SMB connector. The DAB module has two plugs, one for Band L and one for Band III. UK uses only Band III and the Band III plug is the one on the Left (looking at the back of the module while holding the module with the optic plug on the right). The SMB connector will fit directly into the module, you don't need to buy any BMW plugs for it.
The one I have bought and known to work was bought from www.dabonwheels.co.uk and was called Kinetic MagnetwiG DMA-1002
What you can do is stick the antennae upside down in the boot under the parcel shelf. But my strongest advice is to experiment with different antennae and positions.

5. Get the car coded. If you have a working NCSExpert set-up then you can diy. Just add $654 to the VO and Code Car. Otherwise this may be the biggest expense if you have to do this via an Aftermarket garage. BMW cannot do this because DAB is not a retrofit option
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Contributors

if you didn't have DAB from the factory then you won't have the DAB rear screen. The DAB amp goes above the diversity amp on the DAB rear screen. Look at realoem and see how the DAB amp is placed above the diversity amp.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 520I M54

This treath is rather old, but maybe the is an expert on the following;
I have retorfittet a CIC for some time now in my E60, it has a DAB functionality.
I would like to retrofit the DAB, but i dont know what antenna/part i would need. Cant find any information about it anywhere. I have the DAB mustard color Fakra connector on the back of my CIC and i know that i have to code 654 on the CIC, but does anybody know what parts i need?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d Msport

I am just starting on this and have just begun to acquire the parts , I have bought a tuner from a salvage car , The seller cut the aerial leads and left the purple/black plug in situ but I can't remove the blinkin thing , can anyone offer any assistance as to how this comes off ?

thanks

update , removed top purple shield and it all becomes apparent !

Last edited by saintetienne; 12-24-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: E60 535d
Default Dab retrofit

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda

The parts you need are

http://shop.dension.com/en/optical_c...iigpXBDY43L~Q/

4. DAB antennae.

Originally Posted by D.W.D.
Hi Bruce

I'm now trying to fit the DAB antenna amplifier and sharkfin I bought from you to my 2006 E60 with 2010 DAB CIC (courtesy of Patryk).

BMW have told me I already have the rear screen for DAB but I can't see where to fit the DAB antenna amplifier (except in place of the diversity amplifier but that doesn't seem right). Where does the DAB anetenna amplifier go?

David
Sorry to bring this post up but whats the process of fitting dab to a e60 as ive ordered a dension cable i take it the car side label is car side and cdc is for dab module thanks