DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

This is an HD radio retrofit in my 2008 E60.

The OEM install for the IBOC module (The HD radio module is the IBOC) is installed in the driver side rear fender where the SAT radio and amp is located. I chose not to install the module there which would require significant work in custom fiber harneses, power and getting an aerial connection ran to it.

I installed the IBOC module much like the CD changer gets installed behind the glove box. My car was pre-wired for a CD changer so it had a fiber MOST connection and power already wired and the aerial I used was extended from the existing FM aerial input in the back of the radio.

This retrofit can be done with new parts for about $300 and if you choose to use the splitter another $63 (more on the splitter later).
Ignore the bracket line item in the table - that is used when mounting in the trunk.
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-iboc-parts.jpg

This is the view behind the glove box.
- In the lower left corner you see the existing connector with power leads (but missing the fiber MOST leads)
- In the upper right you see a thick part of the taped up cable harness. Inside this lump is where the fiber leads are connected via a splice coupler.
The plan is to take apart that splice which gives you a new input and output for the fiber loop and we will insert the IBOC module into the loop which is the same procedure for the CD changer install.
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04771.jpg

Here is a close up of the connector from the lower left corner. Here is the first problem to solve. This is the same plug that is used for the SAT radio module but It doesn't fit the IBOC module without a slight modification.
If you do not have the adapter on the right - it is called an envelope F connector that you can order. Look at your SAT radio connector in the trunk to see what this looks like up close.
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04778.jpg

Try to plug the connector into the IBOC module and you will see that there is small corner that prevents it from sliding on. Snip out that tiny bit and the plug will fit perfectly
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04770.jpg

This is the fiber splice that was hidden under all that tape. Take it apart with a small screw driver
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04774.jpg

This is the fiber ends removed from the splice. These get inserted into the envelope f connector
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04777.jpg

DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04779.jpg

Here is another close up of all the parts. The photo is from a different project that is why you see no tape on the fiber harness as in the pic above.
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04747.jpg

Now that the power and fiber connector is ready, next is to get an FM aerial cable to the unit. In this pic I used some generic euro to american adapters I got from Best Buy
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04802.jpg

I used the FM aerial from the back of the radio. I'm not including how to take the radio out in this DIY.
This is the back of the radio. There is an FM coax and a GPS coax. The one above the fan in the FM. Use the euro to american adapters to extend the FM coax long enough to reach into the glove box. Bonus points if you can figure where to get the euro cables and skip the adapters!

Now about the splitter I mentioned earlier. With the aerial now going to the IBOC, the radio now gets AM and FM signals from over fiber connection. If your navigation unit includes Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) it will no longer work with this configuration. RTTI does not go over the fiber connection it only works through the original FM connection on the back of the radio. You will need to use the RTTI splitter to split that signal. I intend to try using just a generic FM splitter instead of the $60 BMW splitter.
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04803.jpg

This is the IBOC unit inserted into the CD changer spot. I stuck it to the plastic bracket with some stick on velcro.
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04808.jpg

At this point you need to program the car to recognize the new module. Your dealer will do it for you anywhere from $50 - $300. I have a good relationship with mine and I know it would have cost me $50. Others on this forum will report there dealer will quote up to $300! Another option you have is to do it yourself if you have gotten into coding with NCS Expert or locate a forum member near you to do it for you.

I coded this myself with NCS Expert from information I learned from members on this forum. I simply changed the Vehicle Order (also known as VO or FA) to include the HD radio option and completed the process. These details are out of scope for this DIY so take your questions to the coding threads.

And it works!
DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04806.jpg
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Congrats and nice work , your HD tuner is really small compared to our DAB tuner and the price is a lot less too, around £400 for a DAB tuner.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Thank you for sharing. Great details and pictures.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Time for an update...

I wanted to get the Real Time traffic (RTT) info working again so I finally got back on this project.

The american-euro adapters were a big fail so I order euro cables from a supplier in china and the splitter from BMW.
I removed the metal mounting tabs from the splilter and installed it behind the CCC using the CCC antenna as the input. The output of the splitter went to the CCC and to the IBOC unit.

DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit-dsc04975.jpg
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Old post, I know - but is RTTI something that can be coded into a CCC or is it hardware specific?

I did search...a lot.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
Old post, I know - but is RTTI something that can be coded into a CCC or is it hardware specific?

I did search...a lot.

Hmmm, I'm sure it is hardware and comes with NAV. My guess is it depends on the level of NAV. The business vs professional version maybe (or whatever the 2 systems are called)??
Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Hmmm, I'm sure it is hardware and comes with NAV. My guess is it depends on the level of NAV. The business vs professional version maybe (or whatever the 2 systems are called)??
Just a side note from myself, we get real time traffic updates on both business nav and pro nav in Europe.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Would anyone with a CCC that has RTTI mind sharing their FSW_PSW and FA?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sublime
Would anyone with a CCC that has RTTI mind sharing their FSW_PSW and FA?
US or Euro?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Not sure? - I saw a used car listing with a 650i that had pre-lci CCC and traffic info. It made me wonder if this was not something that could just be turned on or off.

Quick Reply: DIY: E60 HD Radio Retrofit