E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

swapped centre console out for different colour

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since i brought the car i hated the over powering cream interior; carpet, mats, door card, centre console, seatbelts door plastics/sill cover plastics and seats. i noticed the contrast on the dash being black at the top cream bottom it looks sweet so i have changed the centre console for a black one fitted black mats and sill cover plastics and its starting to look much better imo. I couldn?t find one like this so it?s made it unique i am starting to wrap the silver dash and handle trims for silver carbon di-noc stuff and the traditional black di-noc for the door switches back of handles etc.

Stuff u wanted to read...

i tapped the power to the rear sockets from the front sockets, instead of scotch lock connectors i used terminal blocks better solid join, i tapped the + and - ran it to the back then tapped the ends and split it in to 2 - and 2+ for the 2 rear sockets and slotted them on to the back with insulated bullet crimped terminal sockets they tightly slotted on the socket spade terminals. Tapped and shrink wrapped bits up tested with a multi metre all is sweet

What i would like to know is wire to tap the illumination from which exact wire going to the menu button or gear selector?

It?s important to note i tapped of the factory wires at this point so that if it went wrong or i couldn?t do the centre console it would not be expensive to rectify because this piece is £5.

swapped centre console out for different colour-socket.jpg

The console removal took longer than it should cause its not obvious until you know how and i didn?t want to snap anything. refit 30mins if i did it again 1hour in and out.

swapped centre console out for different colour-imag0498.jpg

THIS IS NOT A GUIDE - my method and a reference for me in future

First remove the side carpet trims remove the closest to the back only (there are 2)
Gear knob (sudden thrust pull up really hard) all gaiters, handbrake handle tap it off with a small hammer from the back. The rear bottom suction clips in you don?t remove air vents though. Undo 2 nuts you reveal

Now remove the top trim around gear selector and then the idrive button pull off and the trim under that and ash tray lid is one piece. This takes some nerve i thought it was going to snap

Once that?s off remove ash tray and the exposed nuts

Get you hand up under and unplug everything use a mirror if need be i managed to get it up enough to visualise.
You can lift it out. Now pull the tri piece off that has the pdc and traction buttons off and unplug it

Rip the hand brake up as high as you dare and this makes it easier to get console out.

i will get bettle pics and the trim and complete job when i am done

swapped centre console out for different colour-imag0494.jpgswapped centre console out for different colour-imag0500.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0500.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	763.6 KB
ID:	115177swapped centre console out for different colour-imag0497.jpgswapped centre console out for different colour-imag0501.jpg
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Looks good. I respect a brave owner.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

We need some better photos. Looks good so far!