E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Is it safe to paint over CF hood that has clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Hey guys i recently received my VIS vented race hood. The hood came CF with a clear coat on it already. Now since my car is black I was planning on painted to color math my car. However today my shop said that the paint guy said that if the paint over the clear coat it might create a bad reaction, considering the temperatures in Miami. I know if I leave the CF, with time it will start to turn into a nasty wax like whitish coat, which was why I wanted to paint it. He said he would paint it, but he cannot offer me the warrant6y on the paint.I was shocked, I thought it was completely fine to paint over it.

Please any paint experts pitch in. I really do want to paint it. But i dont want this "bad reaction" they speak about to ruin my hood, or fu*k the paint up.

HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails Is it safe to paint over CF hood that has clearcoat?-my-vis-hood.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

I have the same hood. It is painted jet black with a thin layer of paint so in the reflection you can see the CF under it. The bump on the hood has no paint and the slits have no paint. The hood is completely clear coated. It will help protect the paint, and it prolongs the cf from changing colors. I have had the hood on for almost three years, and I rarely garage it. The hood spends most of the day in direct sunlight and no fading what so ever.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I
I have the same hood. It is painted jet black with a thin layer of paint so in the reflection you can see the CF under it. The bump on the hood has no paint and the slits have no paint. The hood is completely clear coated. It will help protect the paint, and it prolongs the cf from changing colors. I have had the hood on for almost three years, and I rarely garage it. The hood spends most of the day in direct sunlight and no fading what so ever.
Can you post a picture of your painted hood so we can see what it looks like with that setup? thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

Here is a link of it.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...1#entry1270696
Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that's a mean looking hood love it
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Man that's a mean looking hood love it
Thanks.....
Old 11-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I
Did you apply another clear coat on top of the paint?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Contributors

Yes it help prolong the life of the CF and the paint from chipping off! Trust do it. If you get minor scratches you can buff them out.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

Ok, so I will paint it, and apply another clearcoat on top of the black paint.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

well you know how my hood looks like...

when i painted my hood, my paint guy stripped clear coat and put paint on them and put clear coat on the whole hood... and it looks much better...

so you might want to sand the clear coat and then paint them... but idk...

dontyou have black car? just leave it as it is..

Quick Reply: Is it safe to paint over CF hood that has clearcoat?