E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Today the roll-up cover in the back of my touring stopped resetting itself back in the down position after closing the trunk hatch. I can reset it manually and it snaps back when I open the glass or the entire trunk, but upon closing it no longer returns to the full down position. I have inspected the tracks and I don't notice anything mechanically wrong. There are no strange noises or obviously missing pieces.

Perhaps I could get a few recommendations from seasoned veterans on the matter? I really don't want to have to go back to the dealer - warranty or not. Ugh.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting-img00034-20101101-1751.jpg
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Members

No one has had difficulty with their roll-up cover not automatically resetting, aye?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's more a question of how many people actually have the sports wagon. And, of those, how many have this option. Until I read this posting, I didn't even know you could get an option like that. Mine doesn't have it and I thought I got most options (including HUD and Lane Departure).
Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Members

Hmm... a roll-up cover roll down feature. Never heard of it and have been browsing real-oem with no luck. Could you post a link to it on real-oem?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

when first got the car didn't even know it existed.. then after my first service it was working. nice.. but i tried to take cove up manually and broke it.. going to the dealer monday i'll let you know how it works out..
Old 11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Hmm... a roll-up cover roll down feature. Never heard of it and have been browsing real-oem with no luck. Could you post a link to it on real-oem?
Here is a picture of the cover from REALOEM. You can't tell much from it though.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting-301.png

Link to REALOEM

From the owner's manual

Roll-up cover no longer resetting-rollupcover.jpg
Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JeffVander
I think it's more a question of how many people actually have the sports wagon. And, of those, how many have this option. Until I read this posting, I didn't even know you could get an option like that. Mine doesn't have it and I thought I got most options (including HUD and Lane Departure).
It's a handy option that you take for granted when you have to pull the shade down 6 a whole inches :^) I'm just angry that somthing that should work doesn't. Valid points though... I am reacing out to a relatively SMALL audience!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

ok, I think they sold only about a thousand e61 wagons each year in the USA, so we are a small bunch. My cover works so I don't know how to help yet. Have you retracted it completely into the body and then re-insert into the guide channels? You probably need to examine the moving parts in the guide channels when the hatch is opened and closed. Might also help to get that part of the parts diagram too.

oh, and I'm going to guess all USA wagons have this auto up and down feature in their covers. HTH
Old 11-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by yeewiz
ok, I think they sold only about a thousand e61 wagons each year in the USA, so we are a small bunch. My cover works so I don't know how to help yet. Have you retracted it completely into the body and then re-insert into the guide channels? You probably need to examine the moving parts in the guide channels when the hatch is opened and closed. Might also help to get that part of the parts diagram too.

oh, and I'm going to guess all USA wagons have this auto up and down feature in their covers. HTH
The car is under warranty until 2015, so it's the dealer's problem It's just annoying to have things break. I just looked at my options list again and the roll up cover isn't specifically listed, so I am assuming it was a standard USA option.
The following users liked this post:
Mikenbmer78 (01-10-2021)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Members

This is insane, because of this thread, I actually phoned the BMW dealership. Guess what? I have this option. It comes with the auto closing trunk! I got the car when it was a year old as a CPO. Guess the thing never worked from the get go. They said they'd have to look at why it wasn't working, didn't indicate it was common or uncommon an issue. Good grief, talk about discovering something late into the ownership experience. I've had the car for more than a year now... who knew...

Quick Reply: Roll-up cover no longer resetting