E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have problems with comfort access operation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

I normally keep my key fob in my right front pocket and the car will almost always unlock when I touch the door handle and start when I press the button. Sometimes (about 20% of the time), however, the fob will not register and allow the vehicle to start until I take the fob out of my pocket and put it in my lap or thereabouts. I can also only lock my car by touching my finger to the front of driver door handle about 50% of the time. The problem persists with both of my fobs and I have just replaced the batteries in both units.

I had the dealer check out my diversity module and they say there is no corrosion or moisture in the unit but they went ahead and installed five foam blocks in accordance with SI B66 06 08 (Remote Control Malfunction or Radio Reception Problem). I also still have lackluster radio reception. The FM/HD stations keep switching back and forth between HD and regular FM (for the same station) as I drive. The HD signal sounds better, but I'd be happy with standard FM just to listen to something that doesn't fade in and out all the damn time.

I was told that there are internal antennae all over the car to allow the comfort access system to easily detect your fob and function properly. Does anyone have a list of locations of these antennae or information on additional service bulletins that I can check out? Something has to be wrong here.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:32 PM
ajg
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, 18" 135M Alloys

What key do you have? I was always under the impression you needed to put the key in the ignition from time to time to keep the battery charged. I had issues with my spare key - not using it for 2 years caused the battery to go flat and it wouldn't unlock the car. Now I try to use it at least a few times per month - haven't had any problems since.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D, Carbon Black

I had more or less the same problem with comfort access on my 2006 M5. Dealer replaced one of the door handles after I showed him this:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...roblems-3.html

Cured the problem.

Can't help with the radio though.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Still these combined symptoms are characteristic of a diversity module issue, what about all the associated wiring, did they take a thorough look at that as well?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
I normally keep my key fob in my right front pocket and the car will almost always unlock when I touch the door handle and start when I press the button. Sometimes (about 20% of the time), however, the fob will not register and allow the vehicle to start until I take the fob out of my pocket and put it in my lap or thereabouts. I can also only lock my car by touching my finger to the front of driver door handle about 50% of the time. The problem persists with both of my fobs and I have just replaced the batteries in both units.

I had the dealer check out my diversity module and they say there is no corrosion or moisture in the unit but they went ahead and installed five foam blocks in accordance with SI B66 06 08 (Remote Control Malfunction or Radio Reception Problem). I also still have lackluster radio reception. The FM/HD stations keep switching back and forth between HD and regular FM (for the same station) as I drive. The HD signal sounds better, but I'd be happy with standard FM just to listen to something that doesn't fade in and out all the damn time.

I was told that there are internal antennae all over the car to allow the comfort access system to easily detect your fob and function properly. Does anyone have a list of locations of these antennae or information on additional service bulletins that I can check out? Something has to be wrong here.
Quick question...is your rear window tinted?

In the meantime, here's a link to a post showing the various antenna locations:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...dpost&p=689806

And here's a few links to other threads that deal with issues similar to yours:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/886...rking-distance
https://5series.net/forums/topic/888...reception-poor
https://5series.net/forums/topic/102...y-fob-distance
https://5series.net/forums/topic/898...e-statickywhy/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/890...er-replacement

P.S. -- E30 M3s Rock!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

OP:

If you haven't done so, replace the batteries in your key fobs first. The CA should work as long as the key is inside the passenger area - it doesn't matter if its in your pocket or out in the open. I always keep mine in a leather pouch I got from my dealer and the pouch almost always stays in my pocket. When my wife uses her key it stays in her bag. The iDrive will actually give a warning if the key signal gets too low. If you are still having problems then its time for a service visit.

As for HD reception, my guess is that where you live in VA probably has lots of hills, trees, etc. This will definitely reduce the HD signal range. Also HD broadcast range is usually lower than standard FM. The station transmitter's location is also a factor. I live about 25 miles outside of ATL and there are some stations where I get clear HD while others are intermittent until I get closer to the city.

BTW - I have window tint all around and saw no difference in HD reception before/after installation. Only AM radio was affected.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by ajg
What key do you have? I was always under the impression you needed to put the key in the ignition from time to time to keep the battery charged. I had issues with my spare key - not using it for 2 years caused the battery to go flat and it wouldn't unlock the car. Now I try to use it at least a few times per month - haven't had any problems since.
OP has comfort access. With comfort access, the key does not charge when in the ignition...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Members

Thank you so much for the replies and the great information. I was beginning to think I was just crazy, so it's nice to hear that this is a valid problem that can be resolved.

As for a few of the questions:

I do have my windows tinted, but I notice no difference in CA range or performance before and after the tint.

Comfort access fobs have an internal, non rechargable battery that you must change from time to time. As such, the CA units do not recharge upon placement into the fob recepticle.

Northern VA does have a lot of hills and obstructions, which could account for poor HD reception. I wish I could turn HD capability off some how and listen to "plain" FM. It's the constant automatic switching back and forth between the HD and FM signal of a radio station that drives me nuts. While I'm on the subject... 6 presets for a sound system with satellite, HD and conventional radio??? REALLY??? The "cheap" radio versions that come in non iDrive BMWs have 12 presets each for FM and AM. </soapbox>

My fob will go from not working to working if I move it on my lap even a few milimeters.

Rudy and DavidB - I appreciate your taking the time to find the links you provided. I have some reading and research to do.

Rudy - I've had my E30 M3 since 2001 and I love her more every day! www.bayareamotorsport.com for more pictures and information

Thanks again everyone. I love these freaking boards and the great folks who contribute to our community!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can disable the HD radio feature in iDrive...

As far as the window tint, depending on the type, it may or may not be a factor. Some tints have a metallic component to them, some don't. If your tint contains metal, then surely it will affect the rear window antenna which handles both the radio reception and the CA reception.

I've had my 1989 E30 M3 since new (drove it daily for about 9 years until I got my first 5er...)
Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
You can disable the HD radio feature in iDrive...

As far as the window tint, depending on the type, it may or may not be a factor. Some tints have a metallic component to them, some don't. If your tint contains metal, then surely it will affect the rear window antenna which handles both the radio reception and the CA reception.

I've had my 1989 E30 M3 since new (drove it daily for about 9 years until I got my first 5er...)
I will check the owners manual for HD disable info.

The CA problem was going on before I had my windows tinted. I have had the car since April 2010 and My windows were just tinted in Sept 2010. There has been no change in CA operation or range.

PM me with a link to pictures of your M3, dude. Are you a member of the E30 M3 SIG?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have problems with comfort access operation?