E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Need some help , Maybe the Diversity module?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

So my Wagon has been in the shop now for 31 days straight. The dealer claims to have finally fixed the sun roof leak after 5 tries in 10 months. Muted Yeah!

The other problem is after leak number 5 I started to have intermentant remote locking issues.
Basically the remotes would some times work and some times not work. Finally they just plain stopped working at all.

The dealer said that that Diversity mod error was showing , which I suggested after looking around here on the forums. They got a new module , but it did not work ,they then tried 2 new sets ( that 4 keys, and they have both sets of mine too) of keys with no avail either.

They have admitted that they are totally lost at this point. I've had all the electronics replaced after Flood #1 and every thing has been relocated to the side wells, instead of low or under the spare tire. I suggested to look at the wiring loom from the antenna to the control module... Any other suggestions?

Other facts....
Radio reception works fine
Blue tooth works fine
No iDrive errors like when I had every thing ruined the first time
Th e water was coming down the "C" pillars due to the drains slow flow in the "D" pillars
Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Really , no clues or guesses?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

I'd say you could be right about the wiring. Looks like a separate issue from the spare well floods though as it often occurs on its own. A former colleague of mine had everything around the diversity module replaced, including mountings and wiring before radio and remote locking functioned again. There is an SIB about this issue (leaking rear spoiler) by the way, perhaps you could persuade your dealer to install the moisture blocking foam blocks form that SIB to prevent reoccurring.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 535d

Originally Posted by Theo
I'd say you could be right about the wiring. Looks like a separate issue from the spare well floods though as it often occurs on its own. A former colleague of mine had everything around the diversity module replaced, including mountings and wiring before radio and remote locking functioned again. There is an SIB about this issue (leaking rear spoiler) by the way, perhaps you could persuade your dealer to install the moisture blocking foam blocks form that SIB to prevent reoccurring.

Good luck!
I vote for the wires also. I had similar problems with central locking. Yesterday I opened the wiring harness and found out that two wires (not sure what the other one was for..) were completely broken, fixed those and central locking rocks again!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Could you point me to the SIB with the foam blocks....

Turns out is was the wiring... "one or two of the wires pulled loose from the the Antenna"
Then I was told there was not enough slack and that is why it happened, but it had nothing to do with the dealer having to relocate all the electronic components from the flooding.... yeah right... which I asked about when I took it in....

So I basically told them how to fix/problem solved both issues , and it only took them 37 days or so, and admitted to me they did not have a clue on either problem.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Bulletin is SI B 66-06-08. I can't find it online at the moment (and don't have a subscription to bmwtis.com) but if I can't dig it up with some more searching I'll scan and upload the hardcopy for you.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Theo
Bulletin is SI B 66-06-08. I can't find it online at the moment (and don't have a subscription to bmwtis.com) but if I can't dig it up with some more searching I'll scan and upload the hardcopy for you.
thanks...
Got the car back the other night... no rain yet....so no clue if the leak is "fixed" for the 5th time.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi sw

It is highly possible that you've got the problem described by the SIB.

The amplifier may be water damage if you happened to have lifted the gate in the rain. Let me show you mine, see pictures. My local dealer replaced it as 'good will' repair, but they DIDN'T install the foam spacer, although the SIB clearly stated so. Anyway, it is not hard to DYI the foam spacers though.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help , Maybe the Diversity module?-dsc00048.jpg   Need some help , Maybe the Diversity module?-dsc00050.jpg   Need some help , Maybe the Diversity module?-dsc00051.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi sw

I happen to print out a copy , you can show it to your dealer.

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
thanks...
Got the car back the other night... no rain yet....so no clue if the leak is "fixed" for the 5th time.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Great work Master,

Now I have one for my digital archive again.

Bigbadbull,

Have you considered placing dehumidifiers, I found some rechargeable ones with quite some capacity. They have color indication of the amount of moisture absorbed and even in my (thusfar) leak-free car they take up a lot in the cargo area, really can't hurt with all the electronics in the vicinity there. Same goes for waterproofing the spoilers with foam blocks, either DIY or official, little effort but it might save you one day.

Good luck and hope it stays dry from now on...

Quick Reply: Need some help , Maybe the Diversity module?