E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior wear.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too sure how many of you guys have this problem, but the interior pieces around the volume knob and window switches is quite scratched. My car is out of warranty, anything I can do can these pieces be replaced? Any input is appreciated thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

does warranty cover this?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

From what I have read many dealers are still warranting them if the cars are still warrantable but some are not anymore and consider it a wear item and wear items are not warrantable

When you complain do not use the word 'wear' or 'worn out'.

Just say the paint is peeling, and you don't think it is normal for this to occur.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Ok but I am out of warranty, so what are MY options
Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Ok but I am out of warranty, so what are MY options
Di noc 3m film

vinyl paint

or peeling the whole panel from the vinyl paint, as the base color is similar, but does not have the texture

Currently I'm debating about peeling mine off and going from there depending on how bad it is.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My base cilor is black but I was thinkin abt some kinda vinyl
Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Not too sure how many of you guys have this problem, but the interior pieces around the volume knob and window switches is quite scratched. My car is out of warranty, anything I can do can these pieces be replaced? Any input is appreciated thanks.
I have the same problem and I hate to look at it, I wonder how much those trim pieces would cost at the stealer? If it's not too bad, I'd buy replacements.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by mookish
I have the same problem and I hate to look at it, I wonder how much those trim pieces would cost at the stealer? If it's not too bad, I'd buy replacements.
BMW has used the worst paint for the interior trim pieces for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't even buy the replacements because in the long run, the paint will peel again. Lightly sand it, and vinyl.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

clip your finger nails shorter
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Here are a couple ideas-I struggled with this on the window switches, lower sport steering wheel (the matte black was pealing) and around the volume button.

The window switches were getting bad and I was out of warranty. I took them off and actually sprayed them a gloss/piano black but it turned out I was not skilled enough to deal with all those knooks and crannys of those window switches-I ended up just buying new ones. The passenger side is only 45 bucks and the drivers is 130. They are simple to remove and install yourself.

The steering wheel trim was ridiculous-this was under warranty and was 500 dollars for just the ruthenium trim with the black matte center on the bottom-it was replaced but if I was out of warranty I would not spend that money-might as well buy a m sport steering wheel or a regular sport steering wheel if you are a non sport.

The volume button I left alone-again its too difficult to paint that evenly and replacing that piece is too pricey.

By the way do NOT just peal of the top layer-I did this to repaint them and it looks like shit if you do that-you will not be at all happy with that!
If you are a good painted or you take them to a paint shop-the piano gloss black actually looked really good. I also did the piece around the auto shifter that is matte black-and it looked good but the window switches up close looked crappy-so if you could do a nice even job-it is a nice look

Quick Reply: Interior wear.....