Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Tire survey

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire survey

Looking to replace the tires on my 08 550i with 19" M package. After a bunch of research I've narrowed it down to the 3 below but this is where I'm having a hard time and was hoping to get some opinions from folks who are more experienced with BMW tire selections as this is my first BMW. I do live in the south so snow/cold weather really not applicable.

Currently the car has the Conti Sportcontact 2's and I have to say I love the way it handles.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Continental Extreme Contact DW
Hankook V12's
General G Max AS-03's
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

I looked at listed above tires as well. But I need all season ones - too much rain in NW. Subscribing to this thread. Would like to see more opinions.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

just switched from oem conti-sport contacts to hankook v12 for my m3...

must say the ride seems quiter and smoother...good to note that I went up in tire size a bit ...but happy thus far with the hankooks..reviews around the web from tire stores to other enthusiast sites are mostly positive.....

right now theres' an $80 rebate for hankook's as well..
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tire selections for 550

Originally Posted by Tooch01
Looking to replace the tires on my 08 550i with 19" M package. After a bunch of research I've narrowed it down to the 3 below but this is where I'm having a hard time and was hoping to get some opinions from folks who are more experienced with BMW tire selections as this is my first BMW. I do live in the south so snow/cold weather really not applicable.
Currently the car has the Conti Sportcontact 2's and I have to say I love the way it handles.
Thanks for any and all feedback!
Continental Extreme Contact DW
Hankook V12's
General G Max AS-03's
Tire selections for BMWs should complement your driving style and personal needs. For some it's MAXIMUM performance and grip - for others it's long tread life ... still others it's meeting a wide range of driving conditions - wet/snow/hot/cold, etc. Personally, I rely on TireRack's reviews and the reviews published on a variety of car and consumer magazines. One point to note, you say you live in the "South" and snow/cold isn't a factor - so I guess you're ok with a tire designated "Summer" - that lets you shift to a collection that don't have to compromise as "all-season". Unless you ever have to drive somewhere when it's snowing or below 40 degrees!

One other factor that is often hidden - some manufacturers include road hazard coverage in their prices. That could be a "deal-maker" if you have to drive on less-than-perfect roads! Check the fine print

Now as for the 3 tire choices noted: I have a set of Conti's on my current F10 535 ... they're very quiet. I had Generals on my e60 530xi - they had good (not great) tread life at a very low cost. IF I were looking for tires for a 550, unless I used it as a highway cruiser, I'd look for tires that would easily tame its great torque ... that is with tons of grip! That said, I'd probably be prepared to re-tire the car every 15-20 K miles! Factor that cost into the equation and shop for the best deal. BTW - shop through the link in my signature for add'l savings and rebates at TireRack or other on-line stores.

Good luck with your choices!