Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Optimal wheel specifications for E60?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 12:41 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 535i
Question Optimal wheel specifications for E60?

(If there exists a thread that covers this, please provide the link. I've searched this site high and low and can't find it.)

I'm looking for definitive wheel specs, including diameter, width, offset, fenders rolled/not-rolled, sport suspension, model (i, xi, M (yes, they are all different)), and tire sizes, etc...

This is a old and mature platform. The optimal dimensions have been found for 18, 19, and 20" wheels...I just can't find them.

What I'm looking for in particular for my build:
- 2008 535i
- Sport Suspension (possibly lower or coilovers soon)
- Fenders are rolled.
- No camber adjustment.
- Looking to go 18 or 19x10" in the rear but also not make an understeer situation. So I need the fronts to be wide enough as well.
- Looking for a flush look with the wheel wells filled with no tucking

I've seen some badass setups...and the most info we'll get is the make/model of the wheels without the offset or width or tire info.

So, if you have a really nice setup (or know the details about one), please post:
- Photo
- Wheel diameter, width, & offset
- Tire size
- Fenders rolled?
- Spacers?
- Does it rub?
- Camber adjustment needed?

Real talk, I don't need everyone's car, just one or two optimal examples. My goal is to buy a set of wheels and have them bolt right up without spacers.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

Here is a badass setup I've found, but I have no idea what the specs are. Also, I couldn't use them as-is because the rear axle on the M5 has a different width. I have a 535i. But, this is the look I want:

Name:  h3UawuQ.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  364.5 KB

(not sure where I found this photo. I have it on my hard drive. If this is your car, please forgive me...but it IS bad af though.)

Last edited by cqhall; 10-03-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Probation Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e90

do you want originals or aftermarket wheels? I think it's easier if you check out a couple of originals, as those are easier to fit (no spacers needed) you can find a list of original wheels for e60 here https://www.bmwstylerims.com/category/all-bmw-wheel-styles/bmw-5-series/ in case you are looking for something more exotic perhaps an aftermarket wheel you will need to check what fits you can use this list or willtheyfit.com hope it helps in your search.
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (10-28-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I don't know if there is any one "optimal" setup because everyone's perspective of what constitutes "optimal" is different. To complicate matters, you are customizing your setup by lowering, coilovers, rolled fenders, etc. so who knows? Go with what feels right for you using the links suggested above.
cqhall (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 06:09 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Jason2032
do you want originals or aftermarket wheels? I think it's easier if you check out a couple of originals, as those are easier to fit (no spacers needed) you can find a list of original wheels for e60 here https://www.bmwstylerims.com/category/all-bmw-wheel-styles/bmw-5-series/ in case you are looking for something more exotic perhaps an aftermarket wheel you will need to check what fits you can use this list or willtheyfit.com hope it helps in your search.

Originally Posted by JayArras
I don't know if there is any one "optimal" setup because everyone's perspective of what constitutes "optimal" is different. To complicate matters, you are customizing your setup by lowering, coilovers, rolled fenders, etc. so who knows? Go with what feels right for you using the links suggested above.
Thanks for the replies. But, these comments pretty much say, "It depends...".

And, Jason, I've used both of those sites extensively.

Since I made that post, I settled on some OEM E60 M5 wheels, which are close to what I'm looking for. I've added 10mm to the rear. The tires I bought weren't the right size. Even though they were the same specs as the OEM E60 M5, they were too big for my E60, which was totally unexpected. I wish I had known (aren't the wheel wells on all E60s the same??).

When I was looking into getting a Lexus LS I ran across a couple of things that were very useful to that community:

First was a "Post your wheels" thread (that every car forum has), but the twist was that it was required that one posted the complete wheel and tire specs and any suspension mods, spacers, or fender rolling and the results (e.g. "rubs when passengers are in the back..."). So, not only was the thread eye candy and inspirational for those looking for wheels, but also very informative because people got to see what looks they liked or didn't like (e.g. poke, stretch, etc...).

Second was a stickied post where someone had written down "optimal" wheel and tire sizes for 18-21", square and staggered, for a flush look.

Threads like that really help take the guess work out of the game and save people money.

I know it's probably too late for a thread like that to be helpful being that this platform is nearly 15 years old. I honestly figured someone had done all of that by now.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by cqhall
Thanks for the replies. But, these comments pretty much say, "It depends...".
Exactly! Because it's up to each individual to decide what's optimal for them.

When I was looking into getting a Lexus LS I ran across a couple of things that were very useful to that community:

First was a "Post your wheels" thread (that every car forum has), but the twist was that it was required that one posted the complete wheel and tire specs and any suspension mods, spacers, or fender rolling and the results (e.g. "rubs when passengers are in the back..."). So, not only was the thread eye candy and inspirational for those looking for wheels, but also very informative because people got to see what looks they liked or didn't like (e.g. poke, stretch, etc...).
I would venture to guess that most people posting to show off their wheels wouldn't have the slightest idea of what "ET", "poke", "stretch", or "spacers" are, let alone post that information.
FormerE30Owner (10-29-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 07:57 PM
New Members

Exactly! Because it's up to each individual to decide what's optimal for them.
Yes, but saying "it depends..." and "it's up to you" isn't informative...just supportive. I was looking for information.

I would venture to guess that most people posting to show off their wheels wouldn't have the slightest idea of what "ET", "poke", "stretch", or "spacers" are, let alone post that information.
Don't underestimate. Here's an example from the Subaru community: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2208775

236 pages with 5,888 posts.