Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

My Xi has RWD wheels...what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528xi, premium, navi
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N52
Exclamation My Xi has RWD wheels...what gives?

Hi folks,
Upon removing my wheels to swap some winter wheels, I noticed my original wheels are RWD wheels. On the spoke, it mentions IS20...whereas the winter wheel is IS43. I have attached pics in this thread: https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-drive-127483/
Am I going crazy because I keep reading RWD wheels don't fit Xi models...
Thanks!

car is a 2006 530xi, stock.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

Hello,
First there is no RWD vs AWD. They are just wheels. Ours do have a recommended size, bore and offset. That doesn't mean others won't fit the hub. Its more of how well it fits under the car. You're looking for clearance from things like calipers, struts, springs wheel well, fender lip...etc. At first I had trouble fully understanding this. The offset is distance offset from center. Ours are high and negative. Which means towards the inside of the wheel well and higher than a RWD. Again doesn't mean others won't work. Just more chance for rubbing. Hope I got this right, if not someone will correct me shortly. :-)
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 AM
New Members

I just double checked everything and I don`t see any problem putting E60 RWD (ET20) wheels on an XI model (ET43). They will stick out more (they are flush with the fenders) and won`t rub anywhere if you don`t have a lowered suspension. Brakes and suspension are cleared also.
I don`t understand when people on other forums say the wheels "won`t fit" when they clearly do...
Thanks for your input!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mtler
I just double checked everything and I don`t see any problem putting E60 RWD (ET20) wheels on an XI model (ET43). They will stick out more (they are flush with the fenders) and won`t rub anywhere if you don`t have a lowered suspension. Brakes and suspension are cleared also.
I don`t understand when people on other forums say the wheels "won`t fit" when they clearly do...
Thanks for your input!
The devil is in the details - Fitting vs proper fitting - besides considering center bore, wheel bolt spacing, diameter / width, etc the higher offset is intended to address the latter. Lots of wheel FAQ's posted on the forum - esp for xi models. Search them out - and HAPPY ROLLING
Old 11-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

They will stick out more (they are flush with the fenders) and won`t rub anywhere ...
...until you hit a speed bump, pothole, or some other condition that compresses your shocks.

LISTEN to what the people on this board are saying if you want to do things CORRECTLY.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 AM
New Members

I am trying to make things correctly, which is why I bought ET43 wheels for winter, thinking they will be the same as what is on it now (XI model).

It turns out the car was bought brand new from the dealer with ET20 wheels...since 2006 the car was rolling with ET20 wheels and the previous owner was just swapping tires for winter when there would be snow. Either the car was really sold with ET20 wheels which is surprising or the owner was clueless and had the wheels changed at some point, which would be surprising also since I have all the records including the 3 tire sets purchases he performed during ownership...

I am in Montreal, so bumpy roads and potholes are a dime a dozen here... lol

I guess I will have to watch out next summer with the ET20 wheels, since i'm putting on the ET43 wheels for winter...Thanks folks!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray

It's not so much 'bout "won't fit" but more of proper fitment.

You'll see no problem on your case now 'cuz the wheels are only 7.5"x17" ... when you start talking 'bout 18" (then 19") you'll see why ... as you can see 7.5"x17" already flush imagine 8"x18" (or 8.5"x19) look like especially up front.

There are already some threads here that member(s) fitted RWD 18" & 19" then it protruded pass the fender (especially up front) - Search them out.

If the car came w/ ET20 then it must be somethin' wrong ... even BMW parts listed ET43 is the 'proper' fitment.

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 11-05-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Thumbs up Opportunity knocks

I guess I will have to watch out next summer with the ET20 wheels, since i'm putting on the ET43 wheels for winter...Thanks folks!
...or just post them in the classifieds in the spring and use the opportunity to maybe refresh your look with some new, properly fitted shoes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
If the car came w/ ET20 then it must be somethin' wrong ... even BMW parts listed ET43 is the 'proper' fitment.
Actually, info elsewhere on this board is that the OEM spec for E60/61 (not including M5) was ET15-32. ET's in the 40's were exclusively for M3's.

In these wheel and tire threads, offset tends to get discussed as if it was an engineering variable intended to ensure proper tire clearance. But that is not what offset is really about! The OEM offset range represents ET limits specified by the engineers to ensure, in the context of the vehicle's other steering geometry variables, proper steering behaviour and acceptable bearing loads.

With too much offset, the steering will feel light and the car will wander; with too little or negative offset the steering will get heavier and God help you in a decreasing radius curve at high speed. Offsets which are outside OEM spec also put loads on bearings and ball joints which may exceed their tolerances. I have personal experience in this regard.

The indelible image of my right front wheel speeding ahead of my car on the downhill side of the Roger's Pass is flashing through my mind as I type this. My new wide wheels required high negative offset for clearance, The offset load caused a wheel bearing seizure which in turn broke the spindle, allowing the wheel, with hub and brakes intact, to set off down the highway on its own. Nasty job getting stopped and staying out of the ditch with only the handbrake to counteract pavement drag from the undercarriage on that one corner.

Errowen
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray

Seriously??? Do you have an xi/AWD model? 'cuz I do ... you may wanna read up again some more to get your fact straight ...

Take a look at this fact (based on OP's ride):

RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection

... then click on each wheel and see what is the ET spec?

I think the particular wheel the OP posted on another thread is :

RealOEM.com * BMW E60 530xi BMW light alloy wheel, spider spoke 138

... again chk the ET number on the description of item #2 ...

if you still doubt it I'll be happy to take a pic of the back of my OEM wheel for you.

Also ... ET 40's not exclusive to M3's as E9x 3-series uses high/big offset in which we the xi/AWD model most compatible with.

Originally Posted by Errowen
Actually, info elsewhere on this board is that the OEM spec for E60/61 (not including M5) was ET15-32. ET's in the 40's were exclusively for M3's.

In these wheel and tire threads, offset tends to get discussed as if it was an engineering variable intended to ensure proper tire clearance. But that is not what offset is really about! The OEM offset range represents ET limits specified by the engineers to ensure, in the context of the vehicle's other steering geometry variables, proper steering behaviour and acceptable bearing loads.

With too much offset, the steering will feel light and the car will wander; with too little or negative offset the steering will get heavier and God help you in a decreasing radius curve at high speed. Offsets which are outside OEM spec also put loads on bearings and ball joints which may exceed their tolerances. I have personal experience in this regard.

The indelible image of my right front wheel speeding ahead of my car on the downhill side of the Roger's Pass is flashing through my mind as I type this. My new wide wheels required high negative offset for clearance, The offset load caused a wheel bearing seizure which in turn broke the spindle, allowing the wheel, with hub and brakes intact, to set off down the highway on its own. Nasty job getting stopped and staying out of the ditch with only the handbrake to counteract pavement drag from the undercarriage on that one corner.

Errowen

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 11-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: My Xi has RWD wheels...what gives?