Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

[Alignment Question] Rear tires angled in

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:20 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535 xi
Question [Alignment Question] Rear tires angled in

Hey guys, new BMW owner here.

I recently purchased an 08 535 xi, and along with attempting to fix its annoyingly large amount of problems I decided to get my tires balanced and aligned. After the alignment I noticed that the back tires seem to angle in at the top. I called the tire place and asked about it, giving my specific make and model, and their response was a generic "sometimes cars are spec'd like that for performance reasons".

I see other BMWs on the road all the time and haven't noticed anyone else with rear tires that pinch as much as mine, or really even at all.
I found another thread that linked tire specs (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-specs-145688/), but I have no idea what they mean.

IN SUMMATION:
My rear tires angle in at the top, and i'm just trying to figure out if that's what they're supposed to do, or if my tire shop people screwed them up.

-Thanks
Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

Yes, most BMWs have more negative camber (i.e. tire leaning inwards) than most cars on the rear wheels. It becomes more pronounced when carrying passengers and/or cargo in the trunk.

Post some pics and we can tell you if it is normal.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:52 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dingolfing
Yes, most BMWs have more negative camber (i.e. tire leaning inwards) than most cars on the rear wheels. It becomes more pronounced when carrying passengers and/or cargo in the trunk.

Post some pics and we can tell you if it is normal.

Here are pictures of each wheel. I tried to pull back and get a picture of both wheels at the same time, as that is when it is best visible in person, but my phone's camera was not cooperating. Hopefully these help.
Attached Thumbnails [Alignment Question] Rear tires angled in-img_0597.jpg   [Alignment Question] Rear tires angled in-img_0598.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by dgreenzalis
Here are pictures of each wheel. I tried to pull back and get a picture of both wheels at the same time, as that is when it is best visible in person, but my phone's camera was not cooperating. Hopefully these help.
I don't see a problem there. I have slightly more and have not experienced any wear problems, but then, I rotate my tires at 10,000 kms.

Last edited by FormerE30Owner; 11-30-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2017, 04:41 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
I don't see a problem there. I have slightly more and have not experienced any wear problems, but then, I rotate my tires at 10,000 kms.
Alright cool beans. I just wanted to make sure! Going from a car with little/no visible wheel tilt to this was quite jarring. Thanks!