Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Update on the K Sport coilovers for Xi: I've received response to my inquiry from Nick at K Sport. Turns out that, even though many vendors advertise it, K Sport themselves does not know whether the coils will fit an Xi. Sounded like he didn't know the difference between the RWD and AWD models - or didn't even know that there is a difference. Well, what can I say? If this is the level of expertise at K Sport, I'm actually happy that they don't make coils for my car

There's still a very odd chance that they do fit and that this guy that responded to me is just a douche, but the rest of the organization is ok. But that chance is so smaaaaaall...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Vlad, I spent the last month sending emails to every single company in the world i could google up that made coilovers. None of them make anything for the E60 XI or had any plans to make any. The only solution I found was to buy H&R springs and then buy Bilstein Sport struts (from Germany...Europe version) which Bilstein Germany confirmed by email to me that they would fit a U.S. vehicle. Total for 4 struts & springs is in the range of $1,300 plus shipping. The only thing is you must find a way to buy them because Bilstein Germany does not sell to the public in the U.S.

NOTE: I still have roughly 3 weeks before my KW V3's arrive. I already bought new front & rear upper strut mounts and a can of Winzer Tekwax spray for the threads on the coilover's. I'm goin crazy waiting for these!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Well, what can I say? If this is the level of expertise at K Sport, I'm actually happy that they don't make coils for my car
V i feel your pain but you have to understand is that the Xi model is a smaller market for BMW so the return in creating aftermarket parts that will work with it isnt worthwhile.

I doubt they have tested it at all because they dont market to you. You have to accept that your model bmw is the exception to the rule because you chose to buy an AWD vehicle.

Springs will probably be the best bet unless you want to drop the money for KW's
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

+1 supply and demand baby!

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
V i feel your pain but you have to understand is that the Xi model is a smaller market for BMW so the return in creating aftermarket parts that will work with it isnt worthwhile.

I doubt they have tested it at all because they dont market to you. You have to accept that your model bmw is the exception to the rule because you chose to buy an AWD vehicle.

Springs will probably be the best bet unless you want to drop the money for KW's
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jay bimma
Vlad, I spent the last month sending emails to every single company in the world i could google up that made coilovers. None of them make anything for the E60 XI or had any plans to make any. The only solution I found was to buy H&R springs and then buy Bilstein Sport struts (from Germany...Europe version) which Bilstein Germany confirmed by email to me that they would fit a U.S. vehicle. Total for 4 struts & springs is in the range of $1,300 plus shipping. The only thing is you must find a way to buy them because Bilstein Germany does not sell to the public in the U.S.

NOTE: I still have roughly 3 weeks before my KW V3's arrive. I already bought new front & rear upper strut mounts and a can of Winzer Tekwax spray for the threads on the coilover's. I'm goin crazy waiting for these!
NICE! Can't wait to see what it looks like J

PS if you decide they're not for you, we can swap my H&R springs for your KW's

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered

Dude, that's understood, here's the text of his email - you tell me if it sounds a little... unprofessional?

honestly i cant confirm they fit that model as we have not yet tested it.

Thanks,
This is IT - I mean, aside from his name in the sig. I doubt he even knows that AWD and RWD models - be it E60 or any other car - would have different specs... I don't know, maybe I'm tripping...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

It's really too bad the Bilstein's aren't more readily available - I think that setup would be great for me.

Just curious, why do you need new upper strut mounts?

Originally Posted by jay bimma

Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
NICE! Can't wait to see what it looks like J

PS if you decide they're not for you, we can swap my H&R springs for your KW's

Dude, that's understood, here's the text of his email - you tell me if it sounds a little... unprofessional?

This is IT - I mean, aside from his name in the sig. I doubt he even knows that AWD and RWD models - be it E60 or any other car - would have different specs... I don't know, maybe I'm tripping...

well honestly it was an expected response. He would maybe get a couple of sales by figuring it out but for the effort the outcome isnt worthwhile so he was just blunt about not even testing it.

I thought it was fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
It's really too bad the Bilstein's aren't more readily available - I think that setup would be great for me.

Just curious, why do you need new upper strut mounts?

I don't. Mine are fine right now but they have 62k on them and I'm taking all the time to install V3's. It's a small price to pay to install new mounts so i don't take the chance of the old ones failing in the next few years.

- Just a rule of thumb to replace the mounts when replacing struts!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Look what came in the mail today from tirerack $260 shipped
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-2010-03-26-21.23.10.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-2010-03-26-21.23.45.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krazi Bluntz
Look what came in the mail today from tirerack $260 shipped
Congrats

Maybe we'll figure out a way to do a group buy from Germany. Maybe Tonymac can help us out, since he's over there...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi