Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by v_therussian
From what I've read about them on Lancer Evo forums, people are generally happy about them. Even the cases where they failed miserably seem to be attributable to some kind of human error - either using a shop who doesn't know how to work with coils, also people broke a lot of adjustment mechanisms by overtightening the coils. Basically, seems like a decent product, but requires you to be knowledgeable to run it successfully.

Still waiting for a confirmation on the fitment from them, but if you can confirm for us, would be great!

+1

Tire sizes were 245 and 275 front and rear, but I think these are 18s and there are NO 19s that are OEM on Xi's - at least, per realoem.com.

Recommended size is usually 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 for staggered 19s, but IMHO 285/30/19 in the rear is a better fit, because it has a closer overall rolling diameter match front to rear.
It is a better fit but you will be a little more likely to rub as well once lowered. I have my stock 17's on right now and the wheels are starting to tuck a bit with H&R's (looks good). If my summer rears weren't that .3" shorter I would most likely be rubbing since I have aggressive offsets and 10" rims. Just something to think about.

On a side note I wonder if speed is calculated from the front or rear tires on an XI?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

I found these old pics of my car when my only mod was the rims meaning stock XI ride height and mud flaps lol. Now that I'm looking at these pics I miss the clean look (- the mud flaps), there may be a couple of ACS pieces up for sale buts thats a seperate thread

I just went out and put my wheels beside each other and the fronts are about 6-7 mm taller. Thats only about 1% so I'm not really concerend about that. What I am concerned about is that the inside of my rear rim has a thin line where it looks like something has been lightly rubbing. Does this mean that I'm touched my suspension with the wheel and I need to get spacers as well or is there something else behind there that I might be hitting? If thats the case then rolled or stretcehd fenders are in order.

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-img-0461.jpg
Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-img-0459.jpg
Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-img-0462.jpg
Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

Hey Deez, I assume your rears are ET 38 on the 10 inch VB3; what are the fronts? I was thinking of the VB3's (to get the extra concavity), but the front offsets didn't seem to work for the XI's (either 20 or 40). Are you running ET40 with spacers?

As always, the car looks great.

Incidentally, there may only be a handful of us XI owners around, but we sure know how to keep a thread going!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

I'm running 19x8.5 ET40 and 19x9.5 ET45 VB3's. My fronts are fine but the rears do stick in a bit still. Once I install the KW V3's I will put 10mm spacers on the rears as long as I have the fender clearance. Probably just leave the fronts as I'm happy with the look. I guess I should have bought ET33 on the rears but they were used at a awesome price off E90 so i couldn't pass.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
I found these old pics of my car when my only mod was the rims meaning stock XI ride height and mud flaps lol. Now that I'm looking at these pics I miss the clean look (- the mud flaps), there may be a couple of ACS pieces up for sale buts thats a seperate thread

I just went out and put my wheels beside each other and the fronts are about 6-7 mm taller. Thats only about 1% so I'm not really concerend about that. What I am concerned about is that the inside of my rear rim has a thin line where it looks like something has been lightly rubbing. Does this mean that I'm touched my suspension with the wheel and I need to get spacers as well or is there something else behind there that I might be hitting? If thats the case then rolled or stretcehd fenders are in order.

Attachment 101545
Attachment 101546
Attachment 101547
Which part of the rim are the rubbing marks on? Did you mean the inner lip or inner barrel?
I'm assuming you're rolling on your winter setup right now, so there is no way to just inspect inside the wheel well and see the place it was rubbing against?

Take pics and post them - this could be something important. Btw does it look like you can get spacers without rubbing on the rear fender?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Which part of the rim are the rubbing marks on? Did you mean the inner lip or inner barrel?
I'm assuming you're rolling on your winter setup right now, so there is no way to just inspect inside the wheel well and see the place it was rubbing against?

Take pics and post them - this could be something important. Btw does it look like you can get spacers without rubbing on the rear fender?
I'm rolliong on the winters right now. It is a very faint line on the outermost portion of the inner rim. If it is rubbing on something it is only 1-2mm, the etch marks are very faint. I was thinking about it last night and maybe when I had the rims laying flat on the ground I may mave rotated it slightly which may have caused the scratches rather then when they were on the car. I'll try to take some pics today and post them.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

This is what I'm talking about:

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-img_0157.jpg
Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi-img_0156.jpg
Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
Incidentally, there may only be a handful of us XI owners around, but we sure know how to keep a thread going!

XI FTMFW!!!!!

I think I already posted in here but I'm running VMR v710's 19X8.5 and 9.5 ET 35, 40 with No problems at all....I might be switching to the vortex soon though....
Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

This may sound like a silly question, but is it happening on both rears, or just one side? Also, is it all the way around the wheel consistently?

It does look faint enough that it's probably not hurting anything, but you can never be too careful.

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
This is what I'm talking about:

Attachment 101650
Attachment 101651
Old 03-22-2010, 02:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Well, D33Z, don't get all bent out of shape just yet, cuz this could've EASILY been done when the tires were mounted. I would check the suspension rigorously though - in the case of a 10in wide rear wheel with your offset, your rears reach inside the wheel well 20mm more than the stocks - that's almost an inch. Which is - needless to say - a significant amount. Particularly, when talking about suspension components. So, like I said before, I'd check what it rubs against.

Try this: put some chalk (or some kind of marker that would transfer onto the surface that it rubs against) on the rim and mount the wheel and just spin it while the car is jacked up. Its unlikely it'll rub while in the air, but it may. If you don't find where it rubs while the car is in the air, put the car on the road and drive a little bit, letting the car work the suspension. Next, dismount the wheel and see if the chalk (or whatever you use) transferred anywhere. If it did, you've got your answer - you need spacers. I'd guess not big ones though, since you're barely rubbing - and again, that's IF you're rubbing at all, since those marks look very light.

GL and please be sure to report your findings (preferably with plenty of pics please )

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi