Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

19" Spider Cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Got told by the dealer this morning during a vehicle check that my rear alloy has a 2 inch crack, what can I do with this? Should I have it welded, or have it replaced?

Does anyone know where I can drop on a good used 9.5j rear 19" spider rim?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Members

there was a big thing on watchdog uk a few years ago about the genuine bmw 19" wheels cracking, cant remeber what the out come was but it might be a warrenty thing because loads of people had it happen!
ebays your best bet for a secondhand one! n welding cast aluminium is a nightmare n not really safe to do it cause as soon as you put heat into it it will crack further!!

ive actually found it so check this link out it saying bmw will pay for some of the wheels!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consum...w_latest.shtml

hope this helps
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Which wheel did you have? I have seen this with 124's but I believe they were 18". I wouldn't doubt if 19" had same issues. Everyone will tell you to ditch those RFT immediately. It will ride so much better.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

The alloys are style 172M's, and they don't have runflat tyres on. Its the passenger side rear alloy that cracked, see the pic below after I'd taken off some of the paint. I'm still driving on it at the moment, until I get chance to put my winter alloys on this coming weekend.

Can't seem to find anyone with the wider 9.5" rim going spare, there's plenty of 8.5's around. The part number is 36118036949.

19" Spider Cracked!-cracked-alloy.jpg
Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robg520d
The alloys are style 172M's, and they don't have runflat tyres on. Its the passenger side rear alloy that cracked, see the pic below after I'd taken off some of the paint. I'm still driving on it at the moment, until I get chance to put my winter alloys on this coming weekend.

Can't seem to find anyone with the wider 9.5" rim going spare, there's plenty of 8.5's around. The part number is 36118036949.

Attachment 135607
Can you claim that on your insurance and get a brand new wheel? I know most wouldn't for fear of increased rates, but just throwing that out there...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

That sucks, maybe you can used JB weld or a metal epoxy. The stock 275/30/19 tires are way too low profile.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

That sucks. I have run 275/30/19 and haven't had any problems and it looks like it's either the RFT combined with the weak integrity of that style wheel or just the wheel alone. You probably don't know when the crack developed but if you say it's not related to the RFT then I'll go with you on that. But if you don't know then you don't know. There are several BMW BBS wheels which have had cracking problems. Looks like it's right on the lip. You're probably always loosing air. I would drain the air out of the tire and dismount it and put some epoxy from the inside and out side. Force it into the cracks. Do not forget to prep first and allow to dry thoroughly.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by br4d
n welding cast aluminium is a nightmare n not really safe to do it cause as soon as you put heat into it it will crack further!!
Aluminum can certainly be welded by someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. a wheel repair shop), you make it sounds like a bad idea. Aluminum wheel repairs are extremely common and relatively inexpensive.

Originally Posted by dingolfing
That sucks, maybe you can used JB weld or a metal epoxy. The stock 275/30/19 tires are way too low profile.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
You're probably always loosing air. I would drain the air out of the tire and dismount it and put some epoxy from the inside and out side. Force it into the cracks. Do not forget to prep first and allow to dry thoroughly.
These ideas would stop the leak for a quick home-done short term fix, but needs to be professionally repaired or replaced.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

Originally Posted by robg520d
Got told by the dealer this morning during a vehicle check that my rear alloy has a 2 inch crack, what can I do with this? Should I have it welded, or have it replaced?

Does anyone know where I can drop on a good used 9.5j rear 19" spider rim?
Same thing happened to me. Both rear rims have an hairline crack on the interior side. I'm puzzled as to why this is common with these cars.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Members

Finally found someone to repair the crack!

Plenty of reconditioning companies would weld it, but they all wanted me to commit to an expensive recondition aswell, which was a waste as the wheel is in good conidition.

Found an aluminium fabricator in Barnsley that did it for £25 and they made a very neat job. You have to look hard to find the repair when the wheel is lying in front of you. Mark at Brailsford Brothers Ltd. - www.brailsford-bros.co.uk

Its repaired, Conti back on and I'll be driving on it until the winter wheels go back on in a few months, then they'll get a new set of tyres ready for spring, budgets this time though!

19" Spider Cracked!-welded-alloy.jpg

Quick Reply: 19" Spider Cracked!