Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Where are you from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Current.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey you guys! Please check in!

A quote from cobradav:

Good to press this on folks. Does help alot. Also to keep sig current with car facts (options, CIP version, etc.) Keeps u from having to repeat in text for those that bother with specifics. Wonder what model he/she is driving??

Special thanks to:
DINAN530i, Canada545, UPENN545, stafli, stream, Cyclist, cobradav, kscarrol, ademitt, Bimmer32, donv, Crazy4Cars, 525dse, 545i now, realtyman, Rudy, ericdbs, ls78000, LuvE60, ademitt, petri, Stevies3, bankerboyz, PKandCK, Tuga, g8r and geobmw.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

I have always wondered how many of the forum members that are from non-English speaking countries able to speak English so well on the discussions. Are they orignally from English speaking countries, or have they learned English for business etc.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jta00r1' date='Sep 10 2005, 02:15 PM
I have always wondered how many of the forum members that are from non-English speaking countries able to speak English so well on the discussions. Are they orignally from English speaking countries, or have they learned English for business etc.
[snapback]169204[/snapback]
I lived outside the US for a few years, and have traveled extensively around the world on business and pleasure, and what you find is that in almost any country, English is the unofficial second language. To work in a foreign subsidiary of a US company you need to speak English, most hotel and other hospitality industry workers speak English, and many countries require English language training in school. All well-educated people--like those you find on boards like this--speak very good to excellent English. I lived in Amsterdam, where most people speak Dutch, English and at least one other language. My assistant spoke 6 languages...I had a hard time with English... We Americans are fortunate that our mother tongue really is the international language.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 10 2005, 11:31 PM
[quote name='jta00r1' date='Sep 10 2005, 02:15 PM']I have always wondered how many of the forum members that are from non-English speaking countries able to speak English so well on the discussions. Are they orignally from English speaking countries, or have they learned English for business etc.
[snapback]169204[/snapback]
I lived outside the US for a few years, and have traveled extensively around the world on business and pleasure, and what you find is that in almost any country, English is the unofficial second language. To work in a foreign subsidiary of a US company you need to speak English, most hotel and other hospitality industry workers speak English, and many countries require English language training in school. All well-educated people--like those you find on boards like this--speak very good to excellent English. I lived in Amsterdam, where most people speak Dutch, English and at least one other language. My assistant spoke 6 languages...I had a hard time with English... We Americans are fortunate that our mother tongue really is the international language.
[snapback]169211[/snapback]
[/quote]

You still missed the point jta00r1 , where are you from?

Exactly stream

Maybe one have to have a better education to be able a get a job that pays enough for a E60 purchace...
The vast American entertainment industry (movies, TV, internet, PC games) and in Europe the highly qualitative Brittish TV/film sector makes good teachers for non Anglo-American people.

Also in European schools many foreign languages are learned. Since EU is not like US, only one language spoken (+ Spanish), one needs to manage a minumum 2 languaes to cope in the business world.

I speak four.

But usually one manages with the English language all over the world, almost...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 AM
Contributors

my is current too. POK, NY.

You asked me why i am still single? Check out the ratio of women vs men in poughkeepsie. 1 woman for every 3 single men.

Is that an okay reason?