Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

What happened to 5 Series Forums?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

For me, Swajames was correct in his assessment - an influx of seemingly negative/trollish posters as the exclusivity of the E60 waned definately had an impact on my enthusiasm level. Coupled with the traveling I do, it just didn't seem as enjoyable an environment. In addition, as others have stated, much has been discovered and discussed with these cars. Yet lately, I find myself back on a bit more. Frankly, I missed the camaraderie and fellowship shared within the enthusiast circle.

Dave and Mark created an amazingly wonderful resource here. Rudy, Iceman, and now, Gene have been wonderful moderators - no easy task with a site membership numbering in the tens of thousands. As the site has grown and moved into new directions, so have members here. As the F10 gains in favor and ownership numbers, we may very well discover another spike in memberships. Our beloved E60 takes its place amongst BMWs of past. It is still a wonderful car, yet the reality is it is a past model. It is no longer the exclusive, current, upmarket (and yes, even elite) car it once was. That torch has been passed to the F10. To the newer members, it really is up to you to direct this site. The enthusiasm, enjoyment, and surprise that occurs with discovering new features and exciting things with your car should be shared. Don't rely on the 'old-timers' here. Kindle your excitement and channel it in positive ways. And, temper your angst if you don't receive a reply in a time frame YOU think is necessary. As others have stated, the answers may be there. Learn to use this resource properly and it will reward you with immense knowledge. Be rewarded.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

As I stated earlier I was gone for a while due to me driving other BMW models. My 90 posts were back between 2004-2007. I had a first model year e60 just like now I have a first model year F10. My point is that when you compare then and now there is a huge difference. When I go to bimmerpost in their F10 forum I see so much more activity.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bklyn545
I used to be on this site a few years back and it used to be so active. Back then I had a 2004 545. I just picked up my 535 last week but I've been following topics since I placed the order back in October. However I find that I can go a few days before there are enough replies on a topic to make it worth reading.
Crisis.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

I joined this forum for the quality of threads not the quantity. It suits be picking up a few good posts rather than reading through loads of rubbish. I've only had my F10 1 month and I already feel part of a community.

I'm here to stay, if you'll have me!

Cheers
Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
I joined this forum for the quality of threads not the quantity. It suits be picking up a few good posts rather than reading through loads of rubbish. I've only had my F10 1 month and I already feel part of a community.

I'm here to stay, if you'll have me!

Cheers
Well said. I'm new to this too but found the types of questions and tone of responses to reflect the type of forum I am looking for. Yes there are plenty of other forums (which I do occasionally look at) but I have only posted on E60.net. Again, I'll stay if you'll have me!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'm on this forum every single day but don't post as much anymore just cause there's not much left to say. Then again, most of the time when I do post, it's to answer questions that probably have been discussed many times over but instead of letting or telling those members to search, I actually like providing the answer right away. This is probably because I'm the type that wants a quick answer and figured I could help others from spending too much time searching. Also, if all topics have been discussed and you just expect people to search then forums are no longer interactive. They start to become lifeless libraries of sort for people to dig for their own info; quiet and boring.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Contributors

[quote name='swajames' timestamp='1294508471' post='1291239']
The forum is is decline, there is no question. It is simply nowhere near the place it once was. The level of posting appears to me to be significantly down, in terms of both volume and quality.

The are a number of possible explanations and drivers for this. I'll offer two.

Firstly, as the price of the prior E60 fell and it became a more widely accessible used car purchase, we saw a significant influx of a very different caliber of member, offering little more than childish trash talk and "text speak" in expletive-laden but otherwise unremarkable posts. There's a place for levity in the forum, but not to the degree we sometime see. In the past we used to see some great threads, with interesting discussion, different opinions with generally respectful disagreement and some pretty cool topics. We simply don't see this to the same degree we once did. I accept this is a subjective assessment - what I find mediocre others find interesting, but I am sure that the longer standing members, and many great members from the past who for reasons such as those I've just articulated rarely or no longer post here, would agree with me.

^^^^
Nicely said!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

I guess the old guys have said most there is to say and some have moved on to other rides and/or interests.

Some of them will hang around to help rookies like me along and some will return with an F10.

New people will come in with their F10's and everything will start over again...

Great place with loads of knowledge and many great people.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 530D E61 525D retired E39 528i retired

On topic; I don't know.....

But maybe the problem can be solved by starting all over again about the software versions of our cars.

How do you find the SW version in the F10?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by bklyn545
I used to be on this site a few years back and it used to be so active. Back then I had a 2004 545. I just picked up my 535 last week but I've been following topics since I placed the order back in October. However I find that I can go a few days before there are enough replies on a topic to make it worth reading.
Recession (greedy US bankers) and a new 5 series model and some site competition, is the cause!
When I joined the E60.net in 2005 the car had been on the market a few years, the new F10 not even a year.

Quick Reply: What happened to 5 Series Forums?