Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Tips/Hints for new members (and some old ones)

Old 11-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Suggestions for Forum ...

We might also call these forum annoyances and generate more input.

How about creating a post that re-posts, say monthly, with lists of some tips or hints mostly intended for new members. It would point to means to improve the forum by eliminating some duplicates and other annoying stuff.

Some initial suggestions

> Try to indicate topic subject in the TOPIC TITLE with a keyword or phrase.

> Try using the Forum search function before requesting info or asking a question.

> A big peeve of mine: When replying to a post do not duplicate space consuming, already viewed, photos and lengthy, already read, dialog unless necessary to clarify the reply.

My list is not new ... many were discussed in some recent threads about Forum behavior.

What annoys you?

The main point I am trying to make is to have these hints/tips pop up periodically to remind everyone of them.

sixcard
Old 11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I agree with everything you listed
Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Like this
Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

I wonder how many members know how to do this ...

"When you post, please don't quote pics, unless REALLY needed, and don't quote more text than really necessary. When replying you can delete the parts that you don't NEED to quote!"

Somehow, I don't do it but damn if I know how I don't do it.

sixcard
Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

When replying you can delete the parts that you don't NEED to quote!

Delete everything that isn't needed IN BETWEEN THE QUOTE TAGS.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='1046256' date='Nov 3 2009, 04:05 PM
What annoys you?
Coming from a site with near zero tolerance (coner-carvers) I am finding the signal|noise ratio of the BMW sites pretty hard to take.

- The GIGANTIC sigs irritate the hell out of me
- The ppl that type lik thy r texting, substituting 'u' for you, etc. Come on, it's really not that hard to form a cogent and complete sentence.
- All the 'ricer' mods, license plate LED's, eyebrow lights, etc. To each his or her own I guess, but I've always been more of a substance vs. show kinda guy. Again, not really a problem of the site, just the population that visits and posts.
- Even though I am new to this site, it's amazing to see the plethora of basic questions asked which are easily answered via search. This problem of course is not unique to this site.

All that said, there is some great tech on this board which will keep me coming back on a daily basis for a long time.

Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by user440' post='1046410' date='Nov 3 2009, 03:46 PM
...just the population that visits and posts.

Mike
FYI: those "ricer" mods, they actually come stock on other bmw models: led plate lights on e90's....eyebrow led's..those are stock as well (and if it's just the color change you are referring to, there's a good time and effort spent accomplishing that mod)....LED AE's, those are on the F07 and most likely the F10...so perhaps BMW is getting to "ricer" for you....

please elaborate more about this stereotypical comment.....what "population" are you referring to?

has anyone ever told you that you come off as sounding condescending/arrogant?

here's my contribution (since the "tech" Mike up above eluded to it):

a quick tip when searching: use the forum search function vs. the google bar provided. Under more options in the forum search function there are further tools/filters to help your search: such as posts by a specific member, search only specific subsections, arrange chronologically form old to new or new to old, and/or limit your search to topics or posts......
Old 11-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by user440' post='1046410
a quick tip when searching: use the forum search function vs. the google bar provided. Under more options in the forum search function there are further tools/filters to help your search: such as posts by a specific member, search only specific subsections, arrange chronologically form old to new or new to old, and/or limit your search to topics or posts......
+1

more good search tips:

apple banana --- Find posts that contain at least one of these words
+apple +juice --- Find posts with both words
+apple -juice --- Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'
apple* --- Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'
"Some Words" --- Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'
Old 11-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1054516' date='Nov 14 2009, 03:47 AM
So far you have contributed an awful lot of critisizm of this forum. nobody is perfect. Your comma and apostrophe usage isn't up to par in your above post. You also used "kinda" in lieu of "kind of" in a post complaining about people shortening/substuting words. Live and let live. It is an internet discussion forum and should be treated as such.

So what if you dont like other peoples mods? They arent sneaking to your house in the middle of the night and putting HID fogs in your car.

I understand the large signature picture argument. that is about it.

+1

more good search tips:

apple banana --- Find posts that contain at least one of these words
+apple +juice --- Find posts with both words
+apple -juice --- Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'
apple* --- Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'
"Some Words" --- Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'
You are absolutely correct on all points. Apologies.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='1046256' date='Nov 3 2009, 09:05 PM
Suggestions for Forum ...

We might also call these forum annoyances and generate more input.

How about creating a post that re-posts, say monthly, with lists of some tips or hints mostly intended for new members. It would point to means to improve the forum by eliminating some duplicates and other annoying stuff.

Some initial suggestions

> Try to indicate topic subject in the TOPIC TITLE with a keyword or phrase.

> Try using the Forum search function before requesting info or asking a question.

> A big peeve of mine: When replying to a post do not duplicate space consuming, already viewed, photos and lengthy, already read, dialog unless necessary to clarify the reply.

My list is not new ... many were discussed in some recent threads about Forum behavior.

What annoys you?

The main point I am trying to make is to have these hints/tips pop up periodically to remind everyone of them.

sixcard

Please read the topic: Rules & Moderation

I think I adressed those issues allready!

Search this Thread