Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

suggestion - chat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

wonder if its possible to get a chat style thing going at the bottom of the page like on face book. thats a pretty cool chat for browsing & texting...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

+1
Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

And an iPhone app that can upload pix from our phones!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

a chat feature was suggested before, the mods/admins replied by pointing out there is a feature on your profile to list your different screen names/handles on IM programs like AIM, MSN, yahoo....so members can chat on those proggies...
some members even list their facebook or other social network addy under their web page url field in the profile options section (other information)

***On the new format I noticed under "other information" there is no longer a feild to enter your AIM screen name. The only fields are jabber, skype, yahoo, msn...but on my contact info my AIM screen name is listed. Mods/admins: is the AIM field there and I'm not seeing it or is it gone? if the latter, can we add that.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

No Gene, you are the only one still on AIM j/k
A chat would be nice, but no where near essential for my enjoyment of the site. Especially if they added something like a Global Chat - can you imagine how many Mods they'd have to take on to withstand that?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by pjinca
No Gene, you are the only one still on AIM j/k
you'd be surprised how many members I exchange IM's with via AIM and how often
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS

Gene, you are an internet guru, I am sure you exchange plenty of IM's with many many people. Eventually the internet will get jealous and absorb you into it like Tron (or Stan if you happen to watch South Park)
Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
+1 Gene....I always thought having a spot to list our Facebook name would be a good idea too!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
+1 Gene....I always thought having a spot to list our Facebook name would be a good idea too!
list it under you website url..or in your sig
Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

IPB does have a chat add-on feature to the new version of the forums so it is possible to have a chat but I have two major concerns about it. First is that the whole idea behind a forum is the public exchange of knowledge and ideas. Anything talked about in a chat wouldn't be available for members to search and get any information from. There also becomes an issue of monitoring the chat for abusive language, spamming, and other things like that. More importantly, to me as a techie, is such web-based chats put a huge load on a server, even with a low amount of members chatting at once, much much more load than the forums do, so we've been steering clear of chats for now.

Quick Reply: suggestion - chat