5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Site Comments & Suggestions (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/)
-   -   Spam alert! (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/spam-alert-92462/)

Iceman 01-18-2010 09:29 AM

I?d like to mention something we recently noticed.

A lot of those spam bots are programmed real smart now.
They register, come back a couple days later and change their profile infos, upload some informatons and add a pic to their profile page, and then they come back days later to spam.

Others are posting to existing threads before changing profile infos or signatures or start spamming, or even worse, start sending spam PM?s.

Here are some examples of what I found:

A reply to a steering problem in which the spam bot mentions that he has the same problem on his GM car?
A reply to a sales thread about wheels, posting he likes those two black ones, while there are more than two mentioned in the sales thread and none of them is black? But the sales thread was ?Black Friday (?)??
A reply in which he says he thinks about tinting the Benz, but the thread was about a 7er and had nothing to with tinting?
A reply to a GB thread for a video interface, saying he would, but his is already modded with all blue LED?s?
My favourite:
In a thread where someone is posting about problems with the tranny the OP uses the word ?engage? (gears)? the bot replies with the advice of taking a marriage license with you what he did on a trip to Jamaika, and finally he closes with: Have a great trip??? :doh:
Or those replies in the new member introduction forums, where a newbie makes his forst post as a reply to another members introduction, asking if new members are warmly welcomed here?

If you run across some weird posts from new or relative new members, please notify us by hitting the report button or by sending a PM to one of us mods & admins.

If you receive PM?s from members you don?t know and who are relative new to the forum, and those messages are only containing a link, please don?t click them and inform us.

Currently we are experiencing a lot of spam attacks. We find spammers every day, mostly before they post and you guys can notice them!

Thanks everyone.

porsche911targa 01-18-2010 09:46 AM

The word "bot" implies that this is a program that replies automatically. From what you described, "They register, come back a couple days later and change their profile infos, upload some informatons and add a pic to their profile page, and then they come back days later to spam." it sounds as though this is being done deliberately and manually. I reckon that it's either someone just messing with us or someone who does not have a good command of the language.

skelevirus 01-18-2010 09:57 AM

I don't understand spam!? Can someone who knows explain what the point it? Is it advertising? What's with the spam that looks like a complete foriegn/bizzare language? Is even saying something? And spam like the china cellphone the other day, are they're intentions to sell us phones? :blink:
or is it something else entirely, like trying to hack important systems?

DD_545i 01-18-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1092938' date='Jan 18 2010, 07:57 PM
I don't understand spam!? Can someone who knows explain what the point it? Is it advertising? What's with the spam that looks like a complete foriegn/bizzare language? Is even saying something? And spam like the china cellphone the other day, are they're intentions to sell us phones? :blink:
or is it something else entirely, like trying to hack important systems?

Spam covers all categories of unwanted mail. Some are the types you listed. Some are just trying to drive traffic to genuine sites selling stuff. Some are links to sites that are trying to get you to buy stuff from them that never gets delivered. Some are links that pretend to be from institutions that they're not (these are called phishing) and they take you to a website that looks completely genuine and it's only purpose is to steal your id/password. The phishers will sell their list of collected id/passwords to criminals. This is probably how 20,000 gmail accounts were hacked into a month or two ago. The worst kind of spam is the malicious ones that have viruses/worms/trojans attached to them, or they contain a link to a site that will try and attack you while you're visiting it.

Iceman 01-18-2010 10:22 AM

The cell phone ones are mostly scams.
They advertise cheap cell phones and you will never get one.
Spam is done for different reasons. Mostly to get higher rankings in search engines. Search engines scan the web and find links to other websites. The more links, the higher the rating, since the site seems to be important. Some want you to click their links, so they get high click rates, which can also be good for advertisements on that site someone pays for by the click rate. Then there are indeed people who are just trying to sell stuff, but the intent of a forum like ours is not to hold free advertising space for others. And there are people who will try to get you on their site so you will download the virus it contains... Just to mention some points why there is that much spam on the web.

Those bots are programmed robots. And yes, they are machines, not a human. ;) They are really programmed that smart these days... :(

flyingpuck 01-18-2010 10:32 AM

Well I'm glad we have Iceman on OUR side!! :thumbsup:

skelevirus 01-18-2010 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info I had no idea, I wish I knew more about computers haha

what about the strange/bizzare language spam? Whats that about? Weird

DD_545i 01-18-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1092970' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info I had no idea, I wish I knew more about computers haha

what about the strange/bizzare language spam? Whats that about? Weird

There's a lot of religious rantings I've seen in other languages, from one religion to another saying all kinds of stuff. The same kind of stuff that they've been having wars between each other for thousands of years. Usual stuff.

BMRMEUP 01-18-2010 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But the absolutely worst kind of spam is this kind!!! :P

Attachment 97496

BLooD 01-18-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='1093046' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:10 PM
But the absolutely worst kind of spam is this kind!!! :P

Attachment 97496

ewwwwwwwwwwww! get that thing away :cry: :blink: