Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Private Classifieds

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion would be each member must have a minimum number of posts or be a member for a specified length of time before being able to post a thread in the private classifieds. The goal is to minimize the number of threads being posted by people who have just joined the forum and who are only looking to sell what they have. It may protect members from disreputable sellers.

OR

Make it mandatory that first time private sellers make a donation. This can discourage those people only joining the forum to sell something.

Anand
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I understand the need to be cautious when buying from new members without established reputations but I don't see anything wrong with people just popping in to sell something. They may have something other members on here need. I got a set of brand new KW V2s for my 545 a while back from a person who only signed on here to sell it so I don't think that's a good restriction to have.

Minimum post count is okay but we already have that unless you want to put a higher number on potential new sellers. And not sure what to think about making them contribute.

I think the key is for members to exercise caution when buying from other members, regardless if they're new or old.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

AFAIK the existing minimum post count rule is for the vendors classifieds only...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1093596' date='Jan 19 2010, 01:14 PM
AFAIK the existing minimum post count rule is for the vendors classifieds only...
I think it applies to all new members. I've seen many posts from new people saying they can't PM yet.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

PM, yes. But opening threads is possible for new members, but AFAIK not in the classifieds...
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1093631' date='Jan 19 2010, 02:10 PM
PM, yes. But opening threads is possible for new members, but AFAIK not in the classifieds...
Thanks for the clarification.

So is the minimum post count a restriction on vendor classified or private member classifieds as well?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Vendors only AFAIK.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1093463' date='Jan 19 2010, 11:44 AM
I understand the need to be cautious when buying from new members without established reputations but I don't see anything wrong with people just popping in to sell something. They may have something other members on here need. I got a set of brand new KW V2s for my 545 a while back from a person who only signed on here to sell it so I don't think that's a good restriction to have.

Minimum post count is okay but we already have that unless you want to put a higher number on potential new sellers. And not sure what to think about making them contribute.

I think the key is for members to exercise caution when buying from other members, regardless if they're new or old.
I'm all for private sellers posting their classified ads, but I've seen many ads where its a common part such as brakes/suspension etc. that someone posts to sell, and no one replies to it. I think it could be because of their low post count, or longevity on this forum. Also, from the vendors perspective, the vendors should be concerned if they have one-off sellers coming in taking their business when the vendor has done the leg work to become a respected member of this forum.

Below are just 2 examples:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=92363
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=92050

Like you said, members should "exercise caution" and to my point, they are in the two examples above. So why crowd the private classifieds with threads that no one will even bother to pursue because of that seller's status? Just my $0.02.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I can agree that buyers need to use caution, and that is why I wouldn't buy from someone who is completely unknown on this forum unless a very respected member vouches for them. For example, someone in NorCal post something here and it's a good deal but the seller is a newbie, if Tony vouched for him I would be much more inclined to buy because Tony is a respected member and I don;t think he'd just throw his name out there for just anyone. Just my $0.02
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='1093987' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:13 AM
I'm all for private sellers posting their classified ads, but I've seen many ads where its a common part such as brakes/suspension etc. that someone posts to sell, and no one replies to it. I think it could be because of their low post count, or longevity on this forum. Also, from the vendors perspective, the vendors should be concerned if they have one-off sellers coming in taking their business when the vendor has done the leg work to become a respected member of this forum.

Below are just 2 examples:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=92363
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=92050

Like you said, members should "exercise caution" and to my point, they are in the two examples above. So why crowd the private classifieds with threads that no one will even bother to pursue because of that seller's status? Just my $0.02.
Are those examples supposed to ones that we shouldn't allow to post? They've been members longer than you even though they have low post count. Perhaps no one replied cause there's no demand for those products at this time or the prices are too high.

Either way, I understand your suggestion and I'm sure the Mods/Admins will consider it and do what's best for the forum.

Quick Reply: Private Classifieds