Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

new e60 discussion forum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should have a forum called "Complaints about other member's posts". That way all the posts made like that can me posted there or moved there by the admins.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Aug 16 2004, 03:21 PM
fred, your comments to me, the original ones above this point in the thread, were personal and insulting. as of this writing you've done nothing to respond to me directly.
Skidster,

As a member of Mensa I am forced to spend a significant part of my life trying to deal with 'the other 98%'. Over the years I have become quite capable of doing so. Every now and then I do slip up. Especially in the company of equals I tend to shorten the lines and speed up the pace.
I should know that the correct approach is the one shown by Das and Lomaq, a non-offensive explanatory one, to slowly get to what others see coming a mile away.
I understand and acknowledge you found my comments insulting. For this I apologise, as this board is not intended to insult anybody.

However, to try to ban (or relocate for that matter), joyfull posts in which people share their happiness about anything from their new car or their train of thought on a comic and vaguely car related subject is something I do not support.
As far as I have been reading back, they have always been part of this forum and are therefor now part of it's character. For me it is a reason to check in here every now and then, and a sweet way to pick up some less frivolous technical tips and information. By expressing your annoyance with the current ways of this board, you are risking part of my joy (and I believe that of many others) to be taken away.

The problem I'm facing is that your arguments are more likely to be accepted than mine, simply because the pleasures of some should not be causing grief with others. The risk is that something beautiful will suffer for something sensible.
I'll have a ponder on this one.

In the mean time I will start a poll in the lounge on the subject.

Fred

-edit- And as for the flag, as soon as dd's avatar becomes available I'll change it, in the mean time you'll have to live with it i'm afraid.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:50 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 16 2004, 10:26 AM
-edit- And as for the flag, as soon as dd's avatar becomes available I'll change it, in the mean time you'll have to live with it i'm afraid.
FF, I have been curious about that particular flag since you started using it. I didn't recognize it and researched. Is it your country of origin or something else that you could share? I personally like the spirit of that flag.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 16 2004, 09:50 AM
. Is it your country of origin or something else that you could share? I personally like the spirit of that flag.
JDN, it is the national flag of the Netherlands. It is indeed my country of origin and I still hold the Dutch nationality.
In my quest for an avatar I found something I like looking at. But then again, being American you'd understand..
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

It is the dutch flag! The flag of the Netherlands. This is because Fred is dutch for a fact and lives in the UK.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributors

oops..
Old 08-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Talking about the same answer!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Fred:

appreciate your comments... and i've been dealing with the other 99% quite a few years myself (but normally don't say so)

a quick point or two:
- relocating and banning are not remotely similar
- the definition of 'off the topic' stands: if you know it is then maybe it doesn't belong
- should this model last for seven years, well, signature files and pics alone will crash this mighty board (or, at least, guarantee that the owners will not be able to keep a live archive of all information, simply because people believe that a half-screen photo of their car is REQUIRED for every single post on every single topic.., i mean, hey, it is like ringtones: just because your bloody GSM can play the sound of your baby's first vomit / dog barking / simpsons theme song/et al doesn't mean the rest of the office/train/bus/restaurant/world want to hear it ONCE let alone ten times!)

maybe i am just a grumpy old man
but damnit there is no way that i am the only one!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Aug 16 2004, 11:24 AM
guarantee that the owners will not be able to keep a live archive of all information, simply because people believe that a half-screen photo of their car is REQUIRED for every single post on every single topic
I agree on this one.. I think the admins can keep an eye on this problem too. We all know the left avatar is for making things personal. The place under our posts should be reserved for text and text only. I like the way people tell what kinda car they have in this piece of text so you can see what options are or are not on the car and wich engine we are talking about.

Although this thread had a bit of a hard start I find the suggestions made very usefull and I hope we can help the admins decide what is good for this board or not by talking about it.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:57 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Aug 16 2004, 10:56 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Aug 16 2004, 09:50 AM'] . Is it your country of origin or something else that you could share? I personally like the spirit of that flag.
JDN, it is the national flag of the Netherlands. It is indeed my country of origin and I still hold the Dutch nationality.
In my quest for an avatar I found something I like looking at. But then again, being American you'd understand.. [/quote]
It also looks like the flag of Luxembourg.

Ah, now that I see your "oops" post I understand the first person posting of "Guest." Thanks for the clarification, FF.

Quick Reply: new e60 discussion forum?