Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

"MOVED" Editing Needs Instruction

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Znod' post='325399' date='Aug 22 2006, 08:27 PM
What you say makes sense to me Ice. My only problem is that the moved threads still clutter up the "main" page. In this regard, they force "more proper" posts off the front page. Sorry, I don't have a solution that I know would work--that would satisfy all. But, I'd rather that the post "ghosts" don't show up at all on the page that posts are moved from to avoid the clutter. Maybe we all need to get used to looking at the other forums more often. Also, perhaps there could be a "special page" that is designated to hold the ghosts of moved posts.
Yep, it's pretty hard to satisfy all.
Anyways, the ghosts do clutter up the main page, and I personally don't like that. But it leaves the link there, just where the originator of the thread put it, so he can easily find it. And it gives his thread MORE attention, since after the move it appears in two forums. The cluttered up look disappears, because the added replys do not bounce/bump it back to the top in the main forum. So a ghost is not on the main forums main page after a while, and from time to time old ghosts are removed.
I think this is still the bets solution and it allways has been like this. What changed is, there are now two more ppl looking for such posts and move them. So the moving is done on a daily basis.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Right. Any thoughts about having a post ghost page? Could it be done? Would it provide a solution that would satisfy most? It would contain links to what posters throught important enough to put on the "main" page, but really didn't belong there.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Znod' post='325410' date='Aug 22 2006, 08:41 PM
Right. Any thoughts about having a post ghost page? Could it be done? Would it provide a solution that would satisfy most?
I don't think that's a solution that would satisfy everybody.
There are ppl like Ray that post stuff intentionally in the WRONG forum to get more attention.
The ghost needs to be there, in the place the post actually was made. If not, we don't need the ghost at all. I tend to not have the ghosts. That would force ppl to use the subforums more often. And when subforums are used more, then there is no need to post stuff in wrong forums for more attention...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I really think the key here is the "view new posts" feature (as Lomag mentioned in his reply). It seems like it's the board's best kept secret.

All anyone ever has to do is click on the view new posts link at the top-right corner of just about any page and you'll be shown every topic that has a new post in it since you last visited -- regardless of which forum it's in. (And it doesn't show the ghosts either.)

Using this feature means that it really doesn't matter what forum a post is in, you see them all.

Keeping the forums orderly does help in searching, etc. and yes, no matter what we do, we're not going to please everyone...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

I'm with Rudy, I use the "view new posts" feature all the time, it works like a charm.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='325415' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:45 AM
I don't think that's a solution that would satisfy everybody.
There are ppl like Ray that post stuff intentionally in the WRONG forum to get more attention.
The ghost needs to be there, in the place the post actually was made. If not, we don't need the ghost at all. I tend to not have the ghosts. That would force ppl to use the subforums more often. And when subforums are used more, then there is no need to post stuff in wrong forums for more attention...
And then there are people like me that will usually post in the right forum but occassionally forget and leave it to our fine mods to move it.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='325474' date='Aug 22 2006, 03:00 PM
I really think the key here is the "view new posts" feature (as Lomag mentioned in his reply). It seems like it's the board's best kept secret.

All anyone ever has to do is click on the view new posts link at the top-right corner of just about any page and you'll be shown every topic that has a new post in it since you last visited -- regardless of which forum it's in. (And it doesn't show the ghosts either.)
Yes, this feature is a great one. An alternative is to have a tab open for each forum one is interested in. I take this approach sometimes too.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

You guys are all talking about "process" not content. My comment and complaint is based on the latter. Or, in other words: True "NEWS" of interest to any e60'er ought to be left on the main board for several days. Obvious detail stuff (aftermarket junk, local dealer rants, and other posts of interest only to segments etc) belong on a segmented board.

Ray Hull,
an editor and board moderator
Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributors

I understand your point Ray. I just don't think that forums, such as ours, work like news media (obviously). Now, whether they should is a different issue. I don't know the answer to any "should" question, but it may be hard enough sometimes to determine which forum something belongs in without getting into issues of what is "true 'NEWS' of interest to any e60'er" and what is not. By my preferences, the news media often don't get things right. While I don't like the ghosts, they do provide a sort of in-between solution.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Znod' post='327004' date='Aug 26 2006, 03:34 AM
...issues of what is "true 'NEWS' of interest to any e60'er" and what is not. ...
That's just one of the real dilemmas...

Quick Reply: "MOVED" Editing Needs Instruction