Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

"MOVED" Editing Needs Instruction

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Question

Hey all,
I don't know who is wielding the "Moved" sword these days, but as a guy who edits national news for a living, I would suggest that he take a breather before moving things of "general" interest to back pages. In the past 20 days, I have posted two inter/national publication links regarding E60s and their successor. These were from same-day editions of "Automobile" Magazine and Long Island "Newsday."

Very quickly these posts were moved to more obscure boards. What's the point?

If an individual is posting discreet questions about Bluetooth or other technical detail info needs, of course, those posts might well be referred to specialized boards (to which I have contributed extensively). But to move items of global or national publication/interest, to more obscure pages is, well, pretty goofy.

I would be glad to offer friendly but professional criteria suggestions to whomever is doing the editing.

It's all about what's "fit to print..."

Ray Hull
Old 08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I am betting this one gets moved to the "Site Comments & Suggestions" forum.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='325120' date='Aug 21 2006, 08:45 PM
I am betting this one gets moved to the Site Comments and Suggestions forum.
Indeed. Small-bore thinking at work.

RWH
Old 08-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well I'll add to your comment Ray Hull... I never did like things moved to other back pages either. General section is exactlly that... GENERAL. anything can go here. If one choses to post somthing here reguarding Blue Tooth then let them. If they chose to post it in the BT section let them be too.

Tell you the truth. I only really visit the general section and I miss everything on the other sections. If i surfed the other sections too I would indeed live up to my name as post whore! HAHAHAHAH
Old 08-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='325131' date='Aug 21 2006, 06:15 PM
Well I'll add to your comment Ray Hull... I never did like things moved to other back pages either. General section is exactlly that... GENERAL. anything can go here. If one choses to post somthing here reguarding Blue Tooth then let them. If they chose to post it in the BT section let them be too.

Tell you the truth. I only really visit the general section and I miss everything on the other sections. If i surfed the other sections too I would indeed live up to my name as post whore! HAHAHAHAH
Is anyone else having their posts combined? It's not a big deal as long as the combining is being spread around. Personally, I am not thrilled with someone else deciding how my posts are better displayed.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Viva La Revolucion!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Sorry Ray -- please post topics in the proper forums. Sometimes posts are moved quick, sometimes not so quick, that simply depends on who (what admin/mod) is checking the forum at what time. Regardless of that though, we're trying to create activity in the sub-forums and that's not going to happen if everything is posted in the general E60 sub-forum when it clearly doesn't belong. This is not to single you out or anything at all however you did ask. Generally I'd have to say that most members check the sub-forums they are interested in or use the view new posts link to get a general overview.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='325170' date='Aug 21 2006, 11:56 PM
Sorry Ray -- please post topics in the proper forums. Sometimes posts are moved quick, sometimes not so quick, that simply depends on who (what admin/mod) is checking the forum at what time. Regardless of that though, we're trying to create activity in the sub-forums and that's not going to happen if everything is posted in the general E60 sub-forum when it clearly doesn't belong. This is not to single you out or anything at all however you did ask. Generally I'd have to say that most members check the sub-forums they are interested in or use the view new posts link to get a general overview.
Lomaq, you are missing my point: When I or anyone else takes the time to post NEWS (e.g. on a brand new major magazine article about the new model), that is NEWS of the most general importance as it can be. Never mind that the topic has already been posted about in some other form or publication.

Post moving should be based on NEWS value (read: someone might want to go out and buy that magazine) to the entire audience. Then, after a while, it can be moved to a more specific folder.

Very few consult the specific folders, and frankly, hasty removal to them isn't engendering me (or few others, apparently) to look there. I think you would do well to try my advice above (garnered from years of doing it for work, as well as being a board moderator). Remember, the board's role is to educate and spread the NEWS, not bury it.

Ray Hull
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

There are ppl that don't like it when everything is in one forum, that's why there are subforums.
Those subforums also help if you are looking for some specific info, you don't need to go through hundreds of pages and topics.
You have decided to post it in the main forum. OK, but that is annoying some ppl, just as you are annoyed by the moving.

What I don't understand is, why is it a problem?
When posts get moved, it helps having a clean board. Your topic is STILL displayed in the main forum and you can click it. It redirects you to the topic in the subforum where it got moved to. So, instead of only having ONE reference, you now have TWO. Your post is in the main forum with a link, and also in the new subforum where it actually belongs to.
If posts get moved without leaving the link, then I would understand the point.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributors

What you say makes sense to me Ice. My only problem is that the moved threads still clutter up the "main" page. In this regard, they force "more proper" posts off the front page. Sorry, I don't have a solution that I know would work--that would satisfy all. But, I'd rather that the post "ghosts" don't show up at all on the page that posts are moved from to avoid the clutter. Maybe we all need to get used to looking at the other forums more often. Also, perhaps there could be a "special page" that is designated to hold the ghosts of moved posts.

Quick Reply: "MOVED" Editing Needs Instruction