Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

I never really understood the "subforums" on these boards

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fairly avid forum goer when I think subforum I think of an actual forum which is a subcategory of a larger forum (Often called chill boards). I never really understood the concept of keeping all the region specific info in a single 1000+ page thread.

So my question is, why not have actual full fledged regional forums with subforums for even more specific regions? (Canada (Broken into West/east), Europe (UK, Germany etc), Asia (I know we have lots of members in HongKong?). Obviously to justify these boards it would be based on the amount of active members who hail from these regions. I know we have a handful of active east end Canadians here (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal) I believe we also have some people from Vancouver out west who are active.

Or if there isn't enough population for such specific boards just turn whatever countries/cities which have large "subforum" threads into actual subforums/chillboards. Canada, HongKong and UK to name a few.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

We had this discussions several times before.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman
We had this discussions several times before.

Sorry I wasn't around for those. I guess I'll do a search.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I think the forums are still not big enough to warrant such forums. It might do more harm spreading out information over various location specific subforums unless those were just used for casual chatting.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

I forgot to come back and add a couple thought, sorry.
I was in a hurry.

Subforums might seem like a good idea, but when you think about the whole picture you will see it will cause troubles.
More and more subforums will have to be created.
Northern California and Southern California in example... And then, you will have to create them for the classifieds, meets & greets, general discussions, modding... So there would be too many.
The idea of a community can be local, or global.
Ours is more global.
People that ask for help or seek for a specific answer, in example, wouldn't get this if there are regional subforums. Too many members wouldn't see it, but could answer/help if they would see/read the post!
There are not many communities where people from all over the world discuss all together.

However, we never had any problems with a thread for local/regional discussions. See the Hongkong or the Singaporean threads in the main e60 discussion forum.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Also keep in mind that the term "sub-forum" was coined, I think, by the person who started the monster Hong Kong thread. In other words, if it was called something else -- like the Singapore thread that's simply called "E60 for Singaporeans" -- we probably wouldn't even be talking about having sub-forums for so many locales...

Just my 0.02 cents!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman

I forgot to come back and add a couple thought, sorry.
I was in a hurry.

Subforums might seem like a good idea, but when you think about the whole picture you will see it will cause troubles.
More and more subforums will have to be created.
Northern California and Southern California in example... And then, you will have to create them for the classifieds, meets & greets, general discussions, modding... So there would be too many.
The idea of a community can be local, or global.
Ours is more global.
People that ask for help or seek for a specific answer, in example, wouldn't get this if there are regional subforums. Too many members wouldn't see it, but could answer/help if they would see/read the post!
There are not many communities where people from all over the world discuss all together.

However, we never had any problems with a thread for local/regional discussions. See the Hongkong or the Singaporean threads in the main e60 discussion forum.
I see where you're coming from, definitely having separate classifieds and such would probably make the boards look dead and would be excessive. I'd still love to see a Canada forum just for general discussion but I agree that their may not be enough Canadians here to justify it.

The idea would be to discuss things relevant to Canada that nobody else on the boards cares about. IE: Driving in the recent Montreal storm/ A guy ran into the lights at St. Charles Blvrd and now they're broken, spotting a fellow member in Canada/ is this anybody on the forums? etc etc. All these would go in the Canada board because they'd just be irrelevant and take up space in the general discussions. It would essentially be the big regional threads in a more organized forum format. We'd definitely insist on only posting region specific threads in those forums. General questions and answers are for all to see and learn from!

Anyways, I'll leave it to your discretion as I'd hate to be the guy who pushed it on you guys only for it to have 3 active members posting .
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Scoops
I see where you're coming from, definitely having separate classifieds and such would probably make the boards look dead and would be excessive. I'd still love to see a Canada forum just for general discussion but I agree that their may not be enough Canadians here to justify it.

The idea would be to discuss things relevant to Canada that nobody else on the boards cares about. IE: Driving in the recent Montreal storm/ A guy ran into the lights at St. Charles Blvrd and now they're broken, spotting a fellow member in Canada/ is this anybody on the forums? etc etc. All these would go in the Canada board because they'd just be irrelevant and take up space in the general discussions. It would essentially be the big regional threads in a more organized forum format. We'd definitely insist on only posting region specific threads in those forums. General questions and answers are for all to see and learn from!

Anyways, I'll leave it to your discretion as I'd hate to be the guy who pushed it on you guys only for it to have 3 active members posting .
Well, there are some Canadians here on the forum... but again... the problem is, if this would be created others would want theirs too... then everyone would ask for the same in the classifieds, then parts/mods, etc....
Again, we don't have a problem if there is a thread for such discussions, see the Hongkong and Singapore members. But, as you notice, they are almost only there and never in other topics. And that's exactly what we don't like, being a worlwide forum.