Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

How to optimize/compress your pics before posting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JPG optimizer/file size reducer-no spam- absolutely free- IMO, this is great program. Scroll down to view photo program.

Also check out www.onlythebestfreeware.comfor an excellent freeware collection of other graphics programs and a whole bunch of great free software (utilities, web, text, multimedia, office, programming, internet, games, system, etc). This well executed web site is maintained and run by one individual.

A free graphics program with lots of features and a photo converter-optimizer built in (it handles other files besides jpg.)combined can be found here<---here. They'll send you an email containing a sign up code. Use the code and then after installing the program you'll need to register to get an unlock code. If you don't want them to have your email address sign up for a throw away email account on yahoo and give them a phony name. To save a file in .jpg or other format you have to use their export function otherwise a proprietary format is used.

The program is works well, is simple to learn and best of all, it's free. I use Zone Alarm to block outgoing internet action. This program attempts to search for an update each time you load it. Just block its access. You can get the Zone Alarm Personal Firewall free at zonealarm.com

Note: I have no financial interest in these programs/websites and responsibility for their operation belongs to the authors.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributors

IRFANVIEW is my choice for quick photo resizing, rotating or saving to different formats. Batch conversion, batch renaming, slideshows and it's 10 times faster for browsing your photo collection than anything else you have ever used. And it's freeware you don't have to jump through any hoops to get.

Your digital camera's best friend!

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 16 2004, 10:36 PM
IRFANVIEW
Blew up my Win 98. I had to remove it and then reinstall my operating system.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Contributors

Irfanview is my program of choice aswell. But at www.tucows.com there are many like it.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Aug 17 2004, 07:47 AM
[quote name='ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 16 2004, 10:36 PM'] IRFANVIEW
Blew up my Win 98. I had to remove it and then reinstall my operating system. [/quote]
Find that a bit hard to believe since it is a stand alone program and does not integrate itself with the operating system. You can even put the exe file on a floppy and run it from there. It doesn't install any dll's or overwrite any operating system files. I would look elsewhere for your Window$ crash. I have been using it since Win95 on many different PC's with no problems.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 17 2004, 01:57 AM
I would look elsewhere for your Window$ crash. I have been using it since Win95 on many different PC's with no problems.
My system was stable before I installed Irfanview and after I uninstalled it. Since I switched to Photoplus 5.5, I haven't had any problems.