5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Site Comments & Suggestions (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/)
-   -   Guests starting topics? (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/guests-starting-topics-2028/)

Rudy 08-02-2004 04:57 PM

Not a big deal but I noticed that a guest started a topic in the classifieds section.

I remember when das enabled guest posting, he specifically said that guests could only reply to existing posts and not begin new topics.

Is that still true? Again, for now, it's not a problem but it could become one if any RF trolls decide to pop over here!

(BTW, if you ask me, I don't see the benefits of guest posting. Just my $.02.)

Lomag 08-02-2004 05:27 PM

Fixed. Whoever added the forums made an error in setting the permissions. I wonder who. <_<

JDN 08-02-2004 05:37 PM

It was RUDY!! I saw him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SkiScubaSailDude 08-02-2004 05:51 PM

You know, you may want to make all posters be registered users... It only takes a sec! Also, that gives you a way of "banning" users... for flames... or other tastless activity, basically facilitate moderatorablilty. (is that a word?... oh well, im sure there is a German word for it!) :ph34r:

Lomag 08-02-2004 06:36 PM

Yeah .. but as long as it's not a problem we'll let it be. Many folks like to lurk around, perhaps post once in a while as a guest, which is a little more anonymous. In other news, I changed around the emoticons.. hope ya'll enjoy them. :wow:

das 08-02-2004 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SkiScubaSailDude' date='Aug 2 2004, 07:51 PM
You know, you may want to make all posters be registered users... It only takes a sec! Also, that gives you a way of "banning" users... for flames... or other tastless activity, basically facilitate moderatorablilty. (is that a word?... oh well, im sure there is a German word for it!) :ph34r:

If it becomes a problem, we'll do it. For now, I believe allowing guests to post quick responses adds value. If someone wants to get more involved in the forum, e.g. starting topics, posting attachments, etc., then they'd need to join. But if we do start having some kind of a problem with guest posters in pre-existing threads, then we'll take care of it. ^_^

Rudy 08-02-2004 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by das' date='Aug 2 2004, 10:38 PM
But if we do start having some kind of a problem with guest posters in pre-existing threads, then we'll take care of it. ^_^

That's the spirit guys! That's all I need to know!! :thumbsup:

Iceman 08-03-2004 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Aug 3 2004, 03:27 AM
Fixed. Whoever added the forums made an error in setting the permissions. I wonder who. <_<

:lol: :lol:
Noticed the smileys and do like them.
So far you are doing a good job in keeping this place organized and "clean" !
Thanks, keep it up! :wub:

bmwin14rsm 09-03-2004 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SkiScubaSailDude' date='Aug 2 2004, 07:51 PM

I agree, I think it would be good to make anyone who post members. Once I became a member, I noticed I was coming here rather than another BMW forum for information and intellegent and clean conversation.

I would like to say, I have appreciated the nature and quality of this forum.

jamespratt 09-07-2004 07:29 AM

If it's not broken, don't fix it. Guests make a valuable contribution. They may also only come here the once for one specific question. They really don't need to be members. We mustn't start heading down the route of becoming a private club just for nerdy E60 freaks. The more guests posting good posts the merrier I say!