Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

General Exclaim

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't posted much but I've been trolling these boards for quite a while. I bought my CPO 2006 530i back in April after doing research here. I tried to use Google and other BMW forums but I always found myself back here looking for information. I have always been a DIY'er and have used forums in the past to get the information I need with all of my vehicles.

A week back, I ran over what is referred to as a "button" in the paving world. The awesome runflats I had on my car couldn't take the impact, blowing out the sidewall and bending my rim. Research here led me to repair my rim and get some General Exclaim UHP's for my car. After further research and setting my pressures to 38/40 PSI front and rear (they were WAY too soft in the beginning) I am in love with my car again.

So THANK YOU ALL for sharing your knowledge and being the BEST 5 series forum (if not the best auto forum) on the net.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by rictor' post='1031457' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:36 PM
I haven't posted much but I've been trolling these boards for quite a while. I bought my CPO 2006 530i back in April after doing research here. I tried to use Google and other BMW forums but I always found myself back here looking for information. I have always been a DIY'er and have used forums in the past to get the information I need with all of my vehicles.

A week back, I ran over what is referred to as a "button" in the paving world. The awesome runflats I had on my car couldn't take the impact, blowing out the sidewall and bending my rim. Research here led me to repair my rim and get some General Exclaim UHP's for my car. After further research and setting my pressures to 38/40 PSI front and rear (they were WAY too soft in the beginning) I am in love with my car again.

So THANK YOU ALL for sharing your knowledge and being the BEST 5 series forum (if not the best auto forum) on the net.
Congrats! General Exclaims are a terrific value.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Your experience parallels mine -- from the rim & tire incident to the refitting of the RFTs w/Exclaim UHPs And, since the Generals have softer, more flexible sidewalls, I find slightly higher tire pressures help tighten up the handling too so I and run 38psi F / 42psi R
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I loved my exclaim UHP's and will be switching back once my T1R's wear out.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

humph...

This guy at the tire shop was trying to tell me the General UHP's weren't that good of a tire. But, I'd read good (and bad) claims on the web about it.

I love the tread pattern, and that's what I'll be replacing those front tires with out our 5, so I can get that rubbing to go away...
Old 10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

The only real complaints that I have heard are guys tracking their cars and saying that the sidewalls are a little on the soft side, but I'm not racing around in my car. They are great in the rain and even got me through a snow storm (I got caught changing my wheels late) ok, and they have crazy tread life which is good cuz 19" tires aren't cheap. Bang for your buck you can't go wrong, and Contenental tires are the parent company and those are what come oem on bmw's.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Members

I got the same guff from the guys at the tires store. "He ordered these....?" What do they know. They are a little soft until you pump them up. I originally had the fronts at 34 (6 lbs over recommendation for run-flats) and they were soft indeed. If I turned the wheel to lock the tire compressed to almost nothing adn they always felt like I was driving on Jello. The next day set those bad boys to 38, night and day.

I was going to get some BF Goodrich KDW NT's but they were on backorder indefinately and I needed tires now. I had them on my Nissan Altima SE-R and they were awesome tires. But so far I can't complain about the Generals.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Glad you resolved this to your liking and glad you like your RFTs. I still say that BMW should offer the option of regular tires + spare.

To me, RFTs = :thumbsdown:
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Members

Run-flats indeed suck. What's the point in being able to ride around on a tire if I run over a nail if that same tire is going to explode if I hit a pothole?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Members

The run flats are such terrible tires for the noise and the way they feel. I cannot believe the difference it made when I changed them out for Toyo Proxes 4.
For the General exclaim tires, would the rims be more prone to being bent due to pot holes. I have read the tires have very soft side walls compared to other tires. I have also read only positive reviews on these tires, for the price I think they are a great buy.

Quick Reply: General Exclaim