Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nice list Sam!

How about these:

- How do I tell what software version I have?
- Why didn't my car come with those cool red reflectors?
- Where can I get those cool red reflectors?
- Should I get an SMG?
- Should I get HUD?
- Should I get Comfort Seats?
- Should I get <fill in the blank>.
- How to I program the garage door opener?

I'll think of some more, I'm sure...
Old 06-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are all sorts of questions that are hidden in the documentation and may be unknown from laziness or not understanding until reading over and over.
For example, xenons turn only in auto;
or nav voice volume is adjusted during the instruction and is independent of the radio volume;
or xenon high beam is just moving a shutter out of the way of the single bixenon lamp and the second 'hibeam' lights are for flashing or as daytime running lights.
One that isn't in the books is that when in manual mode of the steptronic and comming to a stop, it drops to 2nd gear and not 1st.
I am not a previous bmw owner so a lot of what I learned was bmw philosophy carried through the vehicles over time. Such grandfathered knowledge isn't in the manuals either. These philosophical ponts are good to know to better understand why things are the way they are in bmw's (or other german cars) These are all suitable for adding to faqs in a structured way, IMO.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Contributors

What changes have been made to the E60 since its productin?
Such as adding NAV, Dropping Sat prep re-adding Sat. prep with NAV, Dropping the rear entertainment package, Wood door trim, etc, etc.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

Here's a link to bwm-forums.com FAQ's that you might to check out.

What they do is allow anyone to post a FAQ to their Test thread. The moderators review it and then post it to the FAQ thread if it is approved.

The FAQ's can be replied to just like any other post. That allows other members to augment the FAQ with add'l info.

There are 5 sections: Site, General Auto, Maint/Troubleshooting, Upgrades/Performance, Audio/Electronics/Detailing.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Lomag - If you make a final list with questions for the Faq and place those questions on the board we can all give answers to questions that we individually know. In that way 90% of the questions for the FAQ can be answered by us saving you a lot of research work.

I think that is the way a forum should work. With joined efford creating something.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Senior Members

How to file a complaint with BMWUSA and who to contact.
A listing of the owners/management's names and position.
Telephone numbers of BMWUSA.
Lemon law info from the 50 states.
Why don't we have a uniform lemon law for all 50 states?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:51 AM
sj3
Senior Members

How long will it take to build my new car and deliver it to me?
How do I find out the status of my new car during the extremely arduous wait?
Are there any hidden costs if I order a 6-speed? [yes, need to order sport option as well.]
I've heard rumors that neither Bluetooth or MP3 work yet. What's the real truth? Do I need to order an '05 E60 to get Bluetooth or MP3? If I already have an '04 E60, will these two features ever work?
What can I do to make waiting for my new E60 easier?
When I go to pick up my new E60, is there a list somwhere of things to check on?
How do I negotiate a good price when I go to the 'stealer' to order my new E60?

---------------------------

I would be more than happy to help answer much or all of these questions but how do we avoid a bunch of duplication of effort? Also, some questions will have different answers/perspectives depending on the reader's country. Many of the answers will actually be links to informative forum posts. Anyway, looking forward to getting this going...

Sam
Old 06-28-2004, 05:49 AM
Contributors

What factory is the E60 made?
How do arrange a tour?
What will I need to have with me for Euro Del.?
What are some recommended cleaners besides the ones BMW offers?
What are some recommended car care tips for the E60?
How often should I agrivate my dealer with V.12?
If I add any aftermarket bodykits or chips will it effect my warrenty?
Can I get the NAV DVD Cheaper direct from the Company? yes
Old 06-28-2004, 05:54 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Can I copy the Nav DVD, for personal backup only?
--------------------------------------
Kigerka: The Nav DVD comes free with the car in the US; not sure in Europe. I might word the question as:

Does the Nav DVD come free with the car? How often does Navtek update it? Where's the cheapest place to purchase updates?

Sam
Old 06-28-2004, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

If a FAQ, part of an FAQ or any topic within an FAQ is a subject covered in the manual, the info should be cross referenced to the manual page number.

Quick Reply: Frequently Asked Questions